Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2018, 07:17 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Bad paint job advice?

We just painted our bus using rustoleum and a spray gun. We are amateurs and unfortunately it shows really badly. There are runs and drips all over in the paint. It’s really bad. I’m looking for constructive help... not anything negative please. I’m already feeling really dumb. Any advice on what to do? Wait until drys all the way and sand it down? Razor blade them until the end of time? Just leave it?

simpletradition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 08:05 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
what does it look like

ten feet away at ten miles an hour? The big deal is, are you okay with it? If not, let it dry, sand do get drips smoothed out. repaint.. go back and learn about how fast paint dries ... you use one kind of thinning agent at only certain temps, another agent for higher temps... go learn a bit more for the next few days... or If you think it is good enough...... continue on.

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 08:41 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by simpletradition View Post
We just painted our bus using rustoleum and a spray gun. We are amateurs and unfortunately it shows really badly. There are runs and drips all over in the paint. It’s really bad. I’m looking for constructive help... not anything negative please. I’m already feeling really dumb. Any advice on what to do? Wait until drys all the way and sand it down? Razor blade them until the end of time? Just leave it?
Sand out the drips and runs and paint those areas again.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 09:12 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
Unless it is just ridiculous, it probably doesn’t matter as much as you think. I tried to be very careful but there are a lot of imperfections in the paint but after some miles I just really don’t care.

It looks good unless your just staring at it for that. I would suggest moving on to some other projects with it and see how you feel later.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 09:16 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Dt466e
Rated Cap: 71
Maybe put up some pictures of what you are working with to give us an idea of how bad you think it is

Also, what sprayer are you using? It it set up right?
Old 07-29-2018, 09:17 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
I don't know how many rivets (must be a few thousand) my bus has for the roof, rubrails etc but I dabbed around each one with a paint brush loaded with paint, spread it and then rolled after. Spraying wasn't going to ever happen in my location, outdoors and strong winds. Hope I never paint another one again,

John
Old 07-29-2018, 10:52 PM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: T444EIEIO
Rated Cap: 8 window?
Art Bus

Look at it this way, some really really high priced art has drips and sags. Granted they are supposed to be intentional, but who's sayin otherwise. Call it a political statement or a work of art and dismiss the critics as uninformed. If it were my bus and it was finished inside and running good, I'd be all grins and giggles and I'd probably wait until right before I sold it to fix the paint
mrpincher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 11:33 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpincher View Post
Look at it this way, some really really high priced art has drips and sags. Granted they are supposed to be intentional, but who's sayin otherwise. Call it a political statement or a work of art and dismiss the critics as uninformed. If it were my bus and it was finished inside and running good, I'd be all grins and giggles and I'd probably wait until right before I sold it to fix the paint
Mine's a 20 foot paintjob, and it's fine with me.....it IS a bus, after all.

BTW.......I've read about that rare MacDonald engine, but you're the first person I've seen that actually owns one. How does it run?

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 12:42 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: IH 3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 66
Post up pictures...

If you really cant stand it... sand the high spots (runs and such) after a few days of cure time... then either spray over them again or get a foam roller and roll those areas.
Mr4btTahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 12:50 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr4btTahoe View Post
Post up pictures...

If you really cant stand it... sand the high spots (runs and such) after a few days of cure time... then either spray over them again or get a foam roller and roll those areas.

My experience with rustoleum is to wait a week before sanding or recoating (can recoat in an early window but in between will cause alligator skinning). Half cured stuff acts weird IME.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:07 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Perhaps a little harder in the mix, will put it on smoother and help the dry time. Heck maybe drinking a different beer while applying will help (-:
1olfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 12:11 AM   #12
Almost There

Year: 1989
Engine: CAT 3208
Rated Cap: 84 pass 36200 gvw
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1olfart View Post
Perhaps a little harder in the mix, will put it on smoother and help the dry time. Heck maybe drinking a different beer while applying will help (-:
What he said, and if you drink enough beer you really won't care.
snonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 09:26 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks everyone for the advice. I’ll post some pictures in the morning. We’ve been gone for a lil family reunion so we haven’t done a lot to it for a week. I’ll prob do a lil sanding and see what it does... otherwise I think we are just not going to worry about it. It looks good, if your not standing too close. Lol. We had a neighbor tell us we used the wrong kind of spray gun... so we will use the one he has for the second coat. I’m not sure what they are called. One is an airless and the one he has uses compressed air. So there will be a lot less to clean up afterwards. Lots to learn, lots to learn.
simpletradition is offline   Reply With Quote