Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2010, 08:27 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1978
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: ford
Engine: 406 Ford
Rated Cap: 25
Be careful ...

...while working tired, and listen to the little voice(s- haha) in your head. I did this w/ a angle grinder, working in cramped quarters under a vehicle, when the wheel got pinched. If you've never had a grinder do a dance on, near, or around you, I can tell you that it will absolutely wake you up. Amazingly and thankfully, I only nicked the tendon. I have regained almost full capacity for flipping off these crazy student drivers that are rampant here.
I'd also like to say that I've been working steel since '93, and pride myself on my work. I'm not a amateur, nor am I a klutz. The message is to keep alert, and be careful when working long hours. Try to never be in a hurry to "get 'er done", and also try and always use the right tool for the job (my compressor was down, or I would've been using the air saw).
Attached Thumbnails
S6300528.jpg  

bus-ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:18 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Re: Be careful ...

OW!!! jeeze man hope that was hospital stitching and not your own!! lol
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 12:31 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: IH
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 72

Ouch............

I had a cutting wheel fly apart last night. I had a face shield on so it only gouged the shield in one place. Could have easily been my face or neck. The angle grinders are the most handy and dangerous tool you will work with. The minute you space out on what your doing, it will jump out of your hand and "do the dance"
PLEEEEZE wear all the protective equipment available to you when using this tool. The big nine inchers will get you, but I think more people are injured with the 4 1/2 just because of the size.
I have seen several nawrly injuries in this forum. Be alert and careful. ( I am an offender of beer and power tools) stupid, I know. I am an EMT basic and have my own suture kits, just no local anesthetic aside from rum.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:31 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B-600
Engine: Ford 370 Propane
Rated Cap: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papabear
...I am an EMT basic and have my own suture kits, just no local anesthetic aside from rum.
And you also know then that alcohol will thin your blood and make the bleeding worse! Not usually a good anesthetic for major cuts and bleeds.
jkindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:26 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Thanks for posting that Bus-ted a safety wake up call always does some good. I hope you have a speedy recovery.
Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 03:05 AM   #6
Skoolie

Thanks All, for the well wishes. It is healing fine.
I didn't stitch it myself, but I will brag that I calmly and quickly sized up the wound, plugged it (in case I hit a major blood path), went in side and washed it out good, wrapped it, took my son to my neighbors, and drove myself to the hospital (the quickest e-room visit I've ever had, at just under 1 1/2 hrs.)
This post really was to serve as a caution to be careful (trying not to sound like a total hypocrite, but...)
The shameful thing to me is, is that it looks like a botched half-ass suicide attempt- very embarrassing. It matches the one on my other wrist from years ago that I wasn't so lucky with, and severed the tendon. I joked with the Dr., asking him if he could just go ahead and stitch all the way around my wrist, so at least I could have an interesting story to tell (nod to Bender..) You can see in the pic where it tried to bite in to my glove not once, but twice, then jumped to take a bite outta my arm, then amazingly jumped OUT of that bite, and skidded on up my arm. Thankful that tendons (especially mine ) are so damned strong, it abraded right across two of them, which at first glance I thought the big one was my bone. That gave me a second of fright.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybus
Was that an angle grinder or a cutting blade? What did you mean when you said "It got pinched?" I assume by those words it was a cutting disk that let go. I have a reason for asking. Hope you're ok.
I hope I can explain this clearly... I was up under a friends vehicle, doing some exhaust work. I was using the 8" grinder, with a metal abrasive wheel,- to try and gingerly (as if that's possible w/ an 8" grinder) remove a section of pipe. I had the heavy end of the pipe braced, so as to try and prevent what happened from happening, but the grinder's a beast, and only has one speed- fast. What is it?- at least 5,000 rpm, I think. Anyhow, by pinch, I mean that as it worked through the metal pipe, once it reached through the bulk of it, the pipe sagged, pinching the disk- essentially stopping it on the nose hairs of Roosevelt- throwing it from my left hand, and doing the damage seen. I should have been wearing my leathers, and it wouldn't have done any worse than those two little rubs seen above the main cut. It was just too beautiful a day, though.
I ALWAYS wear gloves and glasses. Always. Face shield even better if the situation will allow.
On a positive note, I'm thinking about sending in the photo's to Well's Lamont- the makers of the gloves. I swear, the grinding wheel didn't touch that glove other than the piping around the very edge of the cuff. Even where it burned through to my skin, there was no chewing of the glove material. So... maybe they'll make me their poster child, and give me a lifetime supply of gloves, or something. (Hey- don't laugh! I go through gloves like crazy, so it makes it tempting to buy cheapo ones. These gloves literally saved my hide)
Anywho- ya'll be careful out there, now, hear?
Old 04-16-2010, 11:08 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: IH
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papabear
...I am an EMT basic and have my own suture kits, just no local anesthetic aside from rum.
And you also know then that alcohol will thin your blood and make the bleeding worse! Not usually a good anesthetic for major cuts and bleeds.
Just a little rum joke. Alcohol, also does not warm you up in the winter, etc. etc.
Like the Smitt said:
Butterflies work very well when you can get'em to stick and Yes. duct tape in a pinch. It works on everything. Splinted a snapped tib/fib on a ATV rollover. secured him to a backboard for a C-spine and used the same roll to repair the throttle and fender to get them all back to hospital/home. Wilderness rescues are challenging at times.
Thanks go out to the heros who pilot life flights. When we have them on stand by, there is no charge to the county if no one is found and if they are found and in need of transportation the charge usually goes to insurance. Have used the "Winch" chopper several time in some questionable weather.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:33 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Don't forget Krazy Glue. I heard it was being developed as a fast suture alternative for surgery during the Korean war. I guess that didn't work out, but I've used it on cuts, especially to hold a skin flap closed after a sharp knife made a clean cut with minimal shredding.

There's also a product my wife once bought called "Liquid Bandage" or something. It came in a microscopic bottle. I'm convinced it's just Krazy glue at three times the price.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 01:56 PM   #9

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

Wow, that sucks. I hope it's healing up OK.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:54 PM   #10
Skoolie

Thanks, cc- yeah, it does suck. Every good gash and gouge I get like this takes just that much more use of my hands away, and I need them for important stuff like my bird-flipping ability, which I use more often than I care too, living near a college. Thankfully it's healing up fine, and I continue to count my blessings.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:32 AM   #11
Bus Nut

...and fingers.

I'm sorry, couldn't help it. ^.^
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote