Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2010, 11:59 AM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Re: Big single cylinder motorcycle engine?

Ah, yes. A 4x4 with low range would get the speed down where we need it.

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 03:55 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Quote:
I'd just give it to you...and some ear protection
I appreciate both thoughts!

Digging in my old garage, I see I have a golf cart axle complete with electric motor built right onto the differensial. Almost certainly DC, and probably 24 or 36 volts. Wonder if I could power that with my (super quiet Honda EU-1000) 900 watt generator? In other words, create a hybrid drivetrain. I have several deep cycle batteries to throw in the mix. Hmmm... I have a 36 Volt charger that came with those deep cycle batteries. I may be onto something! (This is called brainstorming. LOL)

Edit, update: the golf cart motor is 36 volt.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:10 PM   #23
Bus Geek

The main reason for my original Big Thumper idea, is to avoid what I consider annoying high-pitched noise from small cylinders and high RPMs. But the Honda EU generators are so quiet that I don't care what's inside that lovely red "lunch-box"!

Now.... I also have a giant AC motor that... from what I can understand, should be possible to run on 110. But I have no control apparatus for that either.

So we'll keep brainstorming, and by August we shall have a Studio Grand Piano that goes up to 5 MPH and has a stripper pole on top.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:17 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Some of my pals are making their own plans for this piano:

Old 01-26-2010, 08:18 PM   #25
Bus Nut

I like your electric drive idea with the honda generator, with your bicycle knowledge and parts and some kind of transmission and motor assembly , washing machine comes to mind, you should have no trouble transporting strippers on the piano bar
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:29 PM   #26
Bus Geek

The ideas just keep popping up! Washing machine...? How about a swamp cooler motor? Only 1/4 or 1/3 HP, but I used one to run a 12 foot diameter Ferris Wheel. With huge downgearing by chain, it might work? Advantage to low power motor with deep gearing is that I can just throw a switch on and off -- no need to modulate the "throttle".

Best is probably to design the chassis so several kinds of power can be swapped in. Chain drive makes that easy.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:04 PM   #27
Bus Nut

washing machine should be only 1/4 or 1/3 hp, with the trans having some sort of fwd/rev on the agitator and a large dia pulley on the drum, plus whatever bicycle reductions you use slow should be easy. another thought look for a right angle gear reducer, the worm and ring types run in the 50/1 reduction range.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:23 PM   #28
Bus Geek

Problem with so little power and corresponding reduction, is that the top speed would probably be a snails crawl, and we do want to get up to near 5 MPH, as "Black Rock City" is two or three miles across. But it is fun -- and sometimes productive -- to explore all the options.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:50 PM   #29
Bus Nut

18 speed transmission spin cycle should move along for high gear, use some bike derailers for gear changes

how about a riding lawnmower transaxle with belt driven electric motor
Old 01-27-2010, 06:49 PM   #30
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Naess
Quote:
Originally Posted by djontz
I've got a 10 horse B&S off of an old McCulloch generator...can't say it will sound nice though
My ears hurt just thinking the words "Briggs & Stratton".

But if you are serious about parting with it, we ought to discuss it -- price, location, and details of the engine for starters.
The newer Briggs 5-7.5HP single-cylinder "Quantum" engines aren't that loud...I bet a compact-car muffler from a junkyard would really quiet one down.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:07 PM   #31
Bus Nut

I've heard good things about those sport exhausts, if you can find one to modify for the engine. Supposedly, some of them are rather small and very quiet.
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:52 PM   #32
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

A Peerless transmission from a tractor isn't a bad idea at all. Dead tractors are easy to find and I happen to know I can pick up a brand new transaxle unit for less than a bill anyway. You could easily adapt a tractor transaxle to just about any power source you want.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:54 PM   #33
Skoolie

Year: 1969
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 350 Chevrolet
Rated Cap: 65
Send a message via Yahoo to C00LR

Have you thought about a VW engine and transaxle???
maybe a Sportster motor??

OR... if your a good detective, you can track down the low down dirty SOB who has my 2003 Kawasaki KFX 400 4 wheeler and I will donate the whole thing to your project. I THINK the 4 wheeler is in Texas if that helps.

"There are No Conflicts, Public or Private, That Cannot be Resolved with the Proper Application of High Explosives"

IYAAYAS
C00LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:56 PM   #34
Skoolie

Year: 1969
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 350 Chevrolet
Rated Cap: 65
Send a message via Yahoo to C00LR

On second thought, the Sportster motor is probably going to be in the high end of the $$ area of what your not wanting to spend.
HD doesnt stand for Harley Davidson... It stands for Hundred Dollars. Because thats the minimum it will usually cost when you walk away from the parts counter! LOL

"There are No Conflicts, Public or Private, That Cannot be Resolved with the Proper Application of High Explosives"

IYAAYAS
C00LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:52 PM   #35
Bus Geek

Yes, I am familiar with lawn tractor transaxles. We occasionally use them in KSR. I have one or two around here somewhere.

WV is a practical possibility, but I dislike the sound. That said, a local guy has a home-made exhaust system on a kit car, and he ran the pipe forward under the car, and then back again, so the pipe is "normal" length. That did help on the quality of the sound.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:59 PM   #36
Bus Nut

Just about any transaxle assembly would work, IIRC most of them are selfcontained on a subframe, upper suspension mounts shouldnt be hard to fabricate, you could even eliminate the suspension struts and lock the steering linkage straight ahead and then use a single tire/wheel to steer with
Old 01-29-2010, 02:25 PM   #37
Mini-Skoolie

The Kawasaki KLR has been around forever and uses a 650 thumper. I know you can find these bikes fully functional on the cheap so a wrecked one should be even cheaper. Honda also makes a 650 in the same category as the KLR but they haven't been doing it as long so the prospect of finding a wrecked one would be more difficult.
crazyidea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:57 PM   #38
Bus Geek

Anybody familiar with the Briggs & Stratton opposed twin engine? Looks to be rated at something like 16 HP. Flathead design, I think.

The local lawn mower guru has a lawn tractor with this engine, no mower deck, and a defective transaxle. The transaxle trouble does not worry me. He wants $100,- -- after he tunes it up and starts it for me. Are these engines any good, generally speaking?

By the way, he tells me that gasoline powered golf carts are becoming scarce and expensive -- which matches my observations on eBay and Craigslist.

Quite a few big ATV thumper engines on eBay, but very big $$$.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:32 PM   #39
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH S1723
Engine: IH V345 Gas V8
Rated Cap: 66

Generally speaking, a well-maintained Briggs opposed twin will run a long time. Be aware of the fact that Briggs support for the L-head engines (opposed twins, non-OHV singles) is pretty much gone now due to increasing EPA standards. Short-blocks for said opposed are pretty much non-existant (snapped up by lawn mower racers). Many individual parts are still available, but again, supplies are dwindling. $100.00 isn't bad - IF - the engine is in very good condition. I still get a few in the shop every so often. Their owners take very good care of them, and they are still strong.

I've been in the outdoor power equipment industry for about the last 15 years. If you can post the model, type and code numbers, I can get you just about any OEM information that Briggs still offers for it. HTH
Old 02-25-2010, 06:05 PM   #40
Bus Geek

Thanks Griff!

Matter of fact, Perry (the local mower guru) told me that he had this machine sold for $200 a year ago, to a guy who wanted to use it for lawn mower racing! Then the transaxle snapped on the test ride, and the deal fell thru.

So these engines are "racing" engines, eh.... Now I KNOW I would need to build my own deep-reduction chain drive anyway.

Are these engines noisy? I can probably put a giant muffler on it, but I'm worried about mechanical racket.