Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2017, 10:45 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Birds on a bus and other exotics

Hi,

I'm brand new to this form of lifestyle (I posted an intro in the newb area) and have a million questions (I've been doing a lot of reading and youtubing), but I thought I'd address my major concern first: my birds.

I have a dog and two birds, a cockatiel and a budgie. They are small compared to other parrots so I don't feel that their enclosures would take up a lot of space and we could easily build them into some cabinet space in a bus and when on the move I could put them in carriers or simply remove toys and food/water dishes. I was wondering if anyone else had birds? or small or exotic pets?

Our dog I'm not worried about because I lived in an apartment with him, I've traveled with him, and tent camped, I know he'll love bus living, but I'm not so sure about my birds and wanted to know if any of you have birds?

I also wanted to know if you have any other pets? I love reptiles and didn't want to completely take it off the table that I could have one while in a bus, but I know we should try to keep things simple, so I'm just feeling things out. Seeing some people live in a bus with 3-7 kids, I feel like we could figure things out, but I wanted to talk to people with experience.

Oh, and lastly, we don't plan on crossing any borders with them. If we wanted to travel to the states (we're in Canada), we'd leave the birds with a friend.

Thank you for your time

CanadianRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 03:19 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:39 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Hello and welcome. I have 4 birds, one cockatiel and 3 budgies that share the bus. I made an enclosure from gazebo screen panels and a door. It's about 2 windows wide and floor to ceiling high. Didn't have much choice but they do need a place to roost at night etc, so feel pretty content with that setup. They don't mind driving either or the noises of a running bus. They can come out but only when parked. They have A/C and lots of heat so are really enjoying their lives. I just tell them let's go on holidays and they are all up for going. They also have boating experience as well and adapt to that very well. My sister has a dog that comes on the bus and really likes to lie by the woodstove so no complaints from the animal kingdom.

I guess there really only is one int'l border for us to cross but we choose to stay at home and enjoy our country.

John
Old 11-09-2017, 11:55 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Just throwing this in....I have a MaxMillion parrot (conure size). we just returned from a weeklong trip from Texas to Missouri and back in a 31' class C motorhome with him and two cats. He rode on my shoulder the whole trip. I took a small cage just in case, he did not like it at all, slept on the foot of the bed with us when we were stopped. First trip for all involved. One cat cried all the first day, was fine after that. I plan on doing it again.
dowoplover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:13 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I've never read that book, so I looked it up and then I was like D: Because it's so sad! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
Hello and welcome. I have 4 birds, one cockatiel and 3 budgies that share the bus. I made an enclosure from gazebo screen panels and a door. It's about 2 windows wide and floor to ceiling high. Didn't have much choice but they do need a place to roost at night etc, so feel pretty content with that setup. They don't mind driving either or the noises of a running bus. They can come out but only when parked. They have A/C and lots of heat so are really enjoying their lives. I just tell them let's go on holidays and they are all up for going. They also have boating experience as well and adapt to that very well. My sister has a dog that comes on the bus and really likes to lie by the woodstove so no complaints from the animal kingdom.

I guess there really only is one int'l border for us to cross but we choose to stay at home and enjoy our country.

John
Hello! Thank you! That's a great idea. Thank you so much for replying And I think it says under you're name you're from or in Ontario, we're in Ontario too

I had seen so many videos with people who had dogs or cats, but no one with birds, so this is great.

Yeah, we don't plan to go South any time soon, but we would like to eventually and I wasn't sure on how difficult it would be to take the birds across the border, but I have friends with birds who'd happily look after them while we were on a trip to the states

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowoplover View Post
Just throwing this in....I have a MaxMillion parrot (conure size). we just returned from a weeklong trip from Texas to Missouri and back in a 31' class C motorhome with him and two cats. He rode on my shoulder the whole trip. I took a small cage just in case, he did not like it at all, slept on the foot of the bed with us when we were stopped. First trip for all involved. One cat cried all the first day, was fine after that. I plan on doing it again.
That's awesome Our cockatiel is a big scaredy-cat and our budgie is fairly new, so I doubt they'd be that bold to ride on a shoulder while driving at first, but I know eventually they'll view the space as home and get more comfortable. Our cockatiel is a love bug and LOVES to cuddle and be held and play games, but the moment something new shows up visually, he's on red alert and he's flighted, so he's gone.

I just love that visual though, a happy bird riding on a shoulder and looking at the open road And sleeping at the foot of your bed <3

Thank you both for responding. I was really unsure about how our birds would do. I wont know until we buy a bus how and where we'll fit their enclosures in, but I know we'll figure it out
Old 11-10-2017, 09:23 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
It is so funny when the bus is parked someplace beside a sidewalk. The pedestrians get a real laugh out of seeing the budgies sitting on the steering wheel or across the dash, looking out. The cockatiel, Milton is his name, likes my shoulder as well anytime even driving. Now, they don't even bother about the door open as they like it so much getting out of their regular housing at home.
I'm near Picton Ont, down in the county how about you folks? Hope you get a bus soon!

John
Old 11-10-2017, 11:20 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
It is so funny when the bus is parked someplace beside a sidewalk. The pedestrians get a real laugh out of seeing the budgies sitting on the steering wheel or across the dash, looking out. The cockatiel, Milton is his name, likes my shoulder as well anytime even driving. Now, they don't even bother about the door open as they like it so much getting out of their regular housing at home.
I'm near Picton Ont, down in the county how about you folks? Hope you get a bus soon!

John
I love it! I know our birds will love being with us and traveling.

We're in Burlington. Currently renting (so expensive!). We just got a lead on where to buy some buses through our family mechanic, so I'm just doing my research and trying to figure out what type of bus is best for us!

Our cockatiel is Mogli and our budgie is Trinket ^_^