Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2018, 09:54 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post
Setsu - Would you mind discussing that quote or the process one-on-one?
This is me, missing notifications. Womp womp.

I could happily DM you what they sent to me; it's just a base quote and a list of what they do and don't include by default, plus how the financials are set up. Do contact them if you're interested or have further questions, though. BRC is still in their early days from what I can tell, and appreciate feedback.

Setsu-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 04:07 PM   #22
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-t-liner
Engine: Cat 3126 - MD 3060
Rated Cap: 72
I’ve seen only a couple and they bypassed some stuff I wouldn’t have skipped but apparently it was at the request of the owner. Just so you know it will be way more money for them to do it also. Like not even worth it. Like triple the cost for you to do it. . The few I’ve seen them do were for trust fund babies so they don’t care about cost because they aren’t adults yet with sound decision making skills. Use your best judgement. It’s mostly just a **** load of using a drill. Not much anaerobic activity really.
ThePimentals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 06:34 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Va insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setsu-P View Post
I'm actually planning to go with BRC myself!

They've been easy to talk to so far and their quotes seem reasonable for what they include. Last time I talked to them they said they were booked up through summer 2019, just fyi.

I'm hoping they'll let us drive down there and help out just to get some experience - they're only about 5 hours-ish from me, so it'd be a 'weekend' thing.
I see you’re in Va. Who do you have insurance with for your bus? Also, how did you just register it as a private vehicle?
When I was looking at some auction buses from the local school system I check with my long time insurance agent (Va Farm Bureau). He was unable
to find anyone that would underwrite insurance for a school bus. Found the same when I searched the interweb. Va makes it hard to repurpose a school bus.
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:41 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgorila1 View Post
I see you’re in Va. Who do you have insurance with for your bus? Also, how did you just register it as a private vehicle?
When I was looking at some auction buses from the local school system I check with my long time insurance agent (Va Farm Bureau). He was unable
to find anyone that would underwrite insurance for a school bus. Found the same when I searched the interweb. Va makes it hard to repurpose a school bus.
I don't have one yet - that's a thing for sometime in the next year or so, and considering the copious amounts of road salt they use around here, I'll probably be getting a bus from a bit further south if I can =p
Old 11-11-2018, 03:09 AM   #25
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setsu-P View Post
I don't have one yet - that's a thing for sometime in the next year or so, and considering the copious amounts of road salt they use around here, I'll probably be getting a bus from a bit further south if I can =p
I've seen at least two really nice buses from VA. Superdave's is from VA, and I think WanderWoman's is too.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 05:38 AM   #26
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePimentals View Post
I’ve seen only a couple and they bypassed some stuff I wouldn’t have skipped but apparently it was at the request of the owner. Just so you know it will be way more money for them to do it also. Like not even worth it. Like triple the cost for you to do it. . The few I’ve seen them do were for trust fund babies so they don’t care about cost because they aren’t adults yet with sound decision making skills. Use your best judgement. It’s mostly just a **** load of using a drill. Not much anaerobic activity really.
A friend of mine sells "tiny houses". I'm always amazed that the trust fund kids will pay 5-6 figures for something thats pretty impractical because they saw some YT videos. He's got a waiting list and he's selling what's essentially a $60,000 shed on wheels.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:17 PM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
A friend of mine sells "tiny houses". I'm always amazed that the trust fund kids will pay 5-6 figures for something thats pretty impractical because they saw some YT videos. He's got a waiting list and he's selling what's essentially a $60,000 shed on wheels.
TBH I was all about tiny houses at first. But getting older and looking at the logistics (ie having to buy a whole new much less fuel efficient car for starters...), a skoolie makes more practical sense.

In my opinion, anyway.

And yeah, tiny houses get ridiculously pricey sometimes considering what you get for some of them.
Old 06-30-2019, 11:04 PM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar DTA360 6cyl Diesel
Quote:
I know half the fun of building a skoolie is doing it yourself and making it your own. However, for me, asthma tends to put a damper on doing much of anything very physical. So I'll either die working on it, or die before it's finished.

I ran across a few videos on a YouTube channel called "Sow The Land" that show some conversions done by a company called Blue Ridge Conversions out of Hot Springs, North Carolina. Has anyone here dealt with BRC or seen their work? Looks like some pretty nice work, although I'm sure the cost would depend on the size, how nicely you want it appointed, and so on.

I've thought about going this route if I can afford it. I was also curious if anyone here might be interested in doing a conversion if and when I start going that direction?

I was told by Blue Ridge Conversions to drop my bus off in August and it should be completed by middle or end of November. With the bus I brought tire covers and some replacement window latches as well as all of the appliances I had to date. Unfortunately, that was pretty much the end of a good experience. The bus wasn't started until November even though the seats were already removed. In their care my batteries died, which they finally replaced after a lengthy argument, and my air-brakes froze because they failed to release the parking brake even once in 8 months. When I finally was able to pick up the bus, 5 months past due, they insisted on a cashier’s check for the final payment after accepting over $11,000 in personal checks. That doesn’t seem like a big deal but our bank is a two-hour round trip. The communication seemed contentious and that’s probably because I became more upset each month that went by past the agreed delivery. I think they were equally upset at my frustration that they seemed to treat me like a cash pinata. It was like every conversation included another charge, add more money; and I felt they were incredibly rude about it. I’m sure had an influence on the work that was done.
Now to the final product.
On first appearance it looked great, and a few people had come to see the final product and were very impressed. That feeling wore off pretty quick. My first issue was the door and cabinet latches. On the ride home EVERY drawer, door, and cabinet swung open and closed. I had to stop and find something heavy to brace against all the doors. When I mentioned the problem, the response was “yeah, we’re probably not going to use those latches anymore.” Then why use them on mine?! The propane tanks were mounted on the side of the bus behind the sheet metal. Originally, they were to be under the bed. Since they wouldn’t fit under the bed, they were relocated but my input was never asked for in the matter. I would have preferred them in the rear.
The day I got the bus home the ceiling caught fire. Admittedly I purchased the wrong stove pipes (an effort to save money) but I would think that would be recognized by professional installers. The very reason I didn’t do it myself. They did rush down to address the problem and a week later the proper stove pipes were delivered and they came back to finish. I thought that was great, I was really impressed when I text them the bus caught fire and they replied “we’re on our way”. While they were here, they also fitted pieces on the shower sills so water wouldn’t go behind the wall.
Now that I have had the bus for almost two months, I have noticed some things that I find very frustrating. The first thing I noticed was the vent fans are installed backwards. If left open and I drive away the lids will be ripped off the roof. There was a wood beam behind the stove to cover the metal support between the windows that was loose. I had to take that off and reinstall. The wood blocks for decoration at the front also started to come off. I have found a loose ceiling board which I guess I’ll need a nail gun to fix. I have also noticed areas behind the ceiling boards where there is no insulation. There is a wood shelf in the front that needs secured better as it looks like it’s falling down. Every cabinet will need the latches replaced. I have already installed new latches on the doors so they stay closed as well. There are large gaps between the cabinet doors, and each window sill has a gap water can fall behind and potentially cause mold. There is paint splatter in the driver area and other places. They were also supposed to build a floating shelf for the rear with hidden storage. The first one didn’t work because of the weight, I haven’t seen any attempt to build another one, and that was materials I paid for. Finally, I never got my wheel covers back. Not a huge issue at $40 for four, but it’s the principle.
Personally, I think they let personal feelings influence the quality because I raised a fuss that it was ultimately five months past due so they hastily put it together. On the surface it looks great, but there are issues big enough that I have to find a way to fix because I’ve had no response to these complaints other than empty promises of a shelf and my wheel covers.
PitskyWitbulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 05:27 AM   #29
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitskyWitbulls View Post
I was told by Blue Ridge Conversions to drop my bus off in August and it should be completed by middle or end of November. With the bus I brought tire covers and some replacement window latches as well as all of the appliances I had to date. Unfortunately, that was pretty much the end of a good experience. The bus wasn't started until November even though the seats were already removed. In their care my batteries died, which they finally replaced after a lengthy argument, and my air-brakes froze because they failed to release the parking brake even once in 8 months. When I finally was able to pick up the bus, 5 months past due, they insisted on a cashier’s check for the final payment after accepting over $11,000 in personal checks. That doesn’t seem like a big deal but our bank is a two-hour round trip. The communication seemed contentious and that’s probably because I became more upset each month that went by past the agreed delivery. I think they were equally upset at my frustration that they seemed to treat me like a cash pinata. It was like every conversation included another charge, add more money; and I felt they were incredibly rude about it. I’m sure had an influence on the work that was done.
On first appearance it looked great, and a few people had come to see the final product and were very impressed. That feeling wore off pretty quick. My first issue was the door and cabinet latches. On the ride home EVERY drawer, door, and cabinet swung open and closed. I had to stop and find something heavy to brace against all the doors. When I mentioned the problem, the response was “yeah, we’re probably not going to use those latches anymore.” Then why use them on mine?! The propane tanks were mounted on the side of the bus behind the sheet metal. Originally, they were to be under the bed. Since they wouldn’t fit under the bed, they were relocated but my input was never asked for in the matter. I would have preferred them in the rear.
The day I got the bus home the ceiling caught fire. Admittedly I purchased the wrong stove pipes (an effort to save money) but I would think that would be recognized by professional installers. The very reason I didn’t do it myself. They did rush down to address the problem and a week later the proper stove pipes were delivered and they came back to finish. I thought that was great, I was really impressed when I text them the bus caught fire and they replied “we’re on our way”. While they were here, they also fitted pieces on the shower sills so water wouldn’t go behind the wall.
Now that I have had the bus for almost two months, I have noticed some things that I find very frustrating. The first thing I noticed was the vent fans are installed backwards. If left open and I drive away the lids will be ripped off the roof. There was a wood beam behind the stove to cover the metal support between the windows that was loose. I had to take that off and reinstall. The wood blocks for decoration at the front also started to come off. I have found a loose ceiling board which I guess I’ll need a nail gun to fix. I have also noticed areas behind the ceiling boards where there is no insulation. There is a wood shelf in the front that needs secured better as it looks like it’s falling down. Every cabinet will need the latches replaced. I have already installed new latches on the doors so they stay closed as well. There are large gaps between the cabinet doors, and each window sill has a gap water can fall behind and potentially cause mold. There is paint splatter in the driver area and other places. They were also supposed to build a floating shelf for the rear with hidden storage. The first one didn’t work because of the weight, I haven’t seen any attempt to build another one, and that was materials I paid for. Finally, I never got my wheel covers back. Not a huge issue at $40 for four, but it’s the principle.
Personally, I think they let personal feelings influence the quality because I raised a fuss that it was ultimately five months past due so they hastily put it together. On the surface it looks great, but there are issues big enough that I have to find a way to fix because I’ve had no response to these complaints other than empty promises of a shelf and my wheel covers.
Thanks for sharing and for the honesty.
We've got a lady on here who's wanting to give them fifty grand to build her a bus and she thinks it will be done in a month or two.
I think these companies are gonna treat everyone like a "cash pinata".
Its a cash grab to capitalize on a FAD.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:17 AM   #30
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
We've got a lady on here who's wanting to give them fifty grand to build her a bus and she thinks it will be done in a month or two.

For 50 G's I'll build one out and stand behind my work. Might take me longer than a couple months.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:25 AM   #31
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
For 50 G's I'll build one out and stand behind my work. Might take me longer than a couple months.
Right!??!
But do you look like a hipster and have a flashy, trendy site with some puppy dog photos?

These fly-by-night popup companies are just taking advantage of a social media fad. The real bus conversion companies have been at this a long time.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:27 AM   #32
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
No freakin' doubt! I'd be as meticulously assiduous as I'm being with mine...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
But would work to git 'er done a damned sight faster than mine's progressed!
Old 07-01-2019, 09:03 AM   #33
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
I know half the fun of building a skoolie is doing it yourself and making it your own. However, for me, asthma tends to put a damper on doing much of anything very physical. So I'll either die working on it, or die before it's finished.

I ran across a few videos on a YouTube channel called "Sow The Land" that show some conversions done by a company called Blue Ridge Conversions out of Hot Springs, North Carolina. Has anyone here dealt with BRC or seen their work? Looks like some pretty nice work, although I'm sure the cost would depend on the size, how nicely you want it appointed, and so on.

I've thought about going this route if I can afford it. I was also curious if anyone here might be interested in doing a conversion if and when I start going that direction?

I went through them for my build. It’s a major freaking headache, it was five months past due, plus a bunch of things I have to fix, and you’ll feel like an ATM. This is my full review of it’s not on this thread:

I was told by Blue Ridge Conversions to drop my bus off in August and it should be completed by middle or end of November. With the bus I brought tire covers and some replacement window latches as well as all of the appliances I had to date. Unfortunately, that was pretty much the end of a good experience. The bus wasn't started until November even though the seats were already removed. In their care my batteries died, which they finally replaced after a lengthy argument, and my air-brakes froze because they failed to release the parking brake even once in 8 months. When I finally was able to pick up the bus, 5 months past due, they insisted on a cashier’s check for the final payment after accepting over $11,000 in personal checks. That doesn’t seem like a big deal but our bank is a two-hour round trip.

The communication seemed contentious and that’s probably because I became more upset each month that went by past the agreed delivery. I think they were equally upset at my frustration that they seemed to treat me like a cash pinata. It was like every conversation included another charge, add more money; and I felt they were incredibly rude about it. I’m sure had an influence on the work that was done.

Now that I have had the bus for almost two months, I have noticed some things that I find very frustrating. The first thing I noticed was the vent fans are installed backwards. If left open and I drive away the lids will be ripped off the roof. There was a wood beam behind the stove to cover the metal support between the windows that was loose. I had to take that off and reinstall. The wood blocks for decoration at the front also started to come off. I have found a loose ceiling board which I guess I’ll need a nail gun to fix. I have also noticed areas behind the ceiling boards where there is no insulation. There is a wood shelf in the front that needs secured better as it looks like it’s falling down. Every cabinet will need the latches replaced. I have already installed new latches on the doors so they stay closed as well. There are large gaps between the cabinet doors, and each window sill has a gap water can fall behind and potentially cause mold. There is paint splatter
in the driver area and other places. They were also supposed to build a floating shelf for the rear with hidden storage. The first one didn’t work because of the weight, I haven’t seen any attempt to build another one, and that was materials I paid for. Finally, I never got my wheel covers back. Not a huge issue at $40 for four, but it’s the principle.

Old 07-01-2019, 11:18 AM   #34
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Another down on their luck couple built a bus and figured they are professionals now. I have to admit there is some nice work on their website. I'd have a hard time paying someone to build me a bus with no life experience in basic construction skills.

Every time I hear that $50k number being tossed around I think of the $60k it cost me to build my 1650sf ,3bd, 2ba. house on a 10' drive in basement.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 11:59 AM   #35
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Another down on their luck couple built a bus and figured they are professionals now. I have to admit there is some nice work on their website. I'd have a hard time paying someone to build me a bus with no life experience in basic construction skills.

Every time I hear that $50k number being tossed around I think of the $60k it cost me to build my 1650sf ,3bd, 2ba. house on a 10' drive in basement.
They charged me $16k for the labor only. I had to source my own appliances. They would source the raw materials. I asked them to supply a list of raw materials they would need and I got an amazon shopping list of 8 items, none of which is raw materials.
Old 07-01-2019, 02:49 PM   #36
Bus Geek

Quote:

My block home on 1/3 acre in town was only $46k!
Old 07-01-2019, 06:57 PM   #37
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
My block home on 1/3 acre in town was only $46k!
Mines appraised at $220K, yours?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 08:55 PM   #38
Bus Geek

Quote:
Mines appraised at $220K, yours?
I'm at around 160-170.

But im in such a sellers market things are going for crazy money. We'll be cashing in this year or early next year.
The one bedroom one bath stick frame home on a skinny half sized lot next door to me just sold for a little over 140!
Old 07-02-2019, 06:49 AM   #39
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
I know that not everyone has the wherewithal to convert a bus into a Skoolie; be it a place to park during construction, lack of electrical, mechanical, carpentry, plumbing skills, bad health, time constraints, etc.
Contracting the job out to, quote/unquote, professionals, particularly for the obscene amount they charged you, should have resulted in you receiving a mobile Taj Mahal, a show-stopper to be proud of.
Instead, it sounds like they're earning while learning, and you'll be paying for their hack job for some time to come, putting their crap work to rights.
A "Professional" knows what they are doing, and may be reasonably expected to be remunerated accordingly. These scammers are professionals, all right...
Quote:
Originally Posted by PitskyWitbulls View Post
They charged me $16k for the labor only. I had to source my own appliances. They would source the raw materials. I asked them to supply a list of raw materials they would need and I got an amazon shopping list of 8 items, none of which is raw materials.
Much as a whore is considered a pro...
Old 07-12-2019, 10:53 AM   #40
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazMatt View Post
I know that not everyone has the wherewithal to convert a bus into a Skoolie; be it a place to park during construction, lack of electrical, mechanical, carpentry, plumbing skills, bad health, time constraints, etc.
Contracting the job out to, quote/unquote, professionals, particularly for the obscene amount they charged you, should have resulted in you receiving a mobile Taj Mahal, a show-stopper to be proud of.
Instead, it sounds like they're earning while learning, and you'll be paying for their hack job for some time to come, putting their crap work to rights.
A "Professional" knows what they are doing, and may be reasonably expected to be remunerated accordingly. These scammers are professionals, all right...Much as a whore is considered a pro...

Sadly I had all of the wherewithal, I was just dumb enough to listen to my father insist it was easier to have someone build it.