Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-29-2019, 01:02 AM   #11
Skoolie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Lebanon, Indiana
Posts: 164
Coachwork: In the market
Quote:
Originally Posted by yfrank14 View Post
What is the height of a bus?
I thought they were about the same as a box truck.
I think average for a box is 13 '.
School buses average 10 foot tall, maybe 10 foot 6. Box trucks can be up to 13 foot 6 tall.

Width can also be considered as box trucks can measure up to 102 inches body width but school buses are only 96 inch bodies. The usable interior width in both will be less based on construction and insulation.

On the other hand, school buses can be up to 40 feet long and most of that usable square footage whereas the largest box truck body is only going to be about 26 feet long, less the cab of course.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 06:21 AM   #12
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 18,531
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by yfrank14 View Post
What is the height of a bus?
I thought they were about the same as a box truck.
I think average for a box is 13 '.
Around 10'. Mine has a lift kit and is 10'6".
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 11:45 AM   #13
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 292
Year: 1999
Coachwork: American Cargo 14'L x 7'8"W x 7'H Box
Chassis: Ford E350 Cutaway
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 11500 lbs
My biggest challenge with converting a box truck is that the unconverted vehicle is so useful.

I bought a Ford E350 cutaway with 14' box specifically to convert it into an RV.
The advantages over a small bus were for me the 7' ceiling, flat walls that are easy to insulate, no excess windows that need to be covered up, and the stealth factor of the finished RV.

Now, one year and 6000 miles later I have moved several tons of building materials and two households with it. Also did quite a few glamping trips with an air mattress, a folding chair, and a water jug in the box. In the meantime the RV parts that I scrounged together are piling up at home.

Maybe this week, after a final 'box-mission' to clean a storage unit out, I'll start with the RV build-out. Oh wait, I still need to drop a crated engine off at Fastenal...
alpine44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 12:06 PM   #14
Skoolie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Lebanon, Indiana
Posts: 164
Coachwork: In the market
It just sounds like you need two box trucks LOL
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 12:07 PM   #15
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 5,011
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine44 View Post
My biggest challenge with converting a box truck is that the unconverted vehicle is so useful.

I bought a Ford E350 cutaway with 14' box specifically to convert it into an RV.
The advantages over a small bus were for me the 7' ceiling, flat walls that are easy to insulate, no excess windows that need to be covered up, and the stealth factor of the finished RV.

Now, one year and 6000 miles later I have moved several tons of building materials and two households with it. Also did quite a few glamping trips with an air mattress, a folding chair, and a water jug in the box. In the meantime the RV parts that I scrounged together are piling up at home.

Maybe this week, after a final 'box-mission' to clean a storage unit out, I'll start with the RV build-out. Oh wait, I still need to drop a crated engine off at Fastenal...

I have to laugh.... When I moved across the state I used a Thomas 6 window and a full size Bluebird as moving trucks
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 12:21 PM   #16
Bus Crazy
 
Sleddgracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: south east BC, close to the Canadian/US border
Posts: 2,004
Chassis: still looking for my bus
Quote:
Originally Posted by yfrank14 View Post
This time i wrote it to notepad offline.
Hopefully i can jump in, copy and paste, and jump out before they system gets a chance to make me log in again.
Many box trucks have a very light duty box. The box would not survive a rollover.
But i figure an alluminum box or a reffer would be as strong as a bus.
Condition of the vehicle before you start the build is of course, a consideration.
School busses can not be held together with duct tape, box trucks can be.
I figure if i avoid the Ryders and the Uhauls and stick with a company that made local deliveries, i should get a good truck.
I live in a rust state. Whatever i buy will be rust free and from a rust free state.
Price is also a consideration.
But i think the cost of a box truck would be offset by not having to do the demolition work a bus needs.
The box truck comes ready for the build.
Restrictions on parking a commercial vehicle i would think would be the same as a skoolie.
Plus, if i can register it as an RV, i should be safe.
Again, not trying to argue with anyone or prove i have a better idea, just bouncing my idea off if people who have experience with converting things into RV's.
one of the conditions of MH conversion where I live is that you must be able to walk upright from the living area to the driving area - that sounds like a converted box truck wouldn't qualify for MH license or insurance
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 12:31 PM   #17
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 5,011
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
one of the conditions of MH conversion where I live is that you must be able to walk upright from the living area to the driving area - that sounds like a converted box truck wouldn't qualify for MH license or insurance
I am not aware of any regulations similar to that in the US. I have driven a handful of factory RV's that would not meet that requirement.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 03:50 PM   #18
Bus Nut
 
musigenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 989
Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I have to laugh.... When I moved across the state I used a Thomas 6 window and a full size Bluebird as moving trucks
I keep offering my bus to help people I know move and nobody wants to use it. Lots of whingeing about how hard it is to load and unload etc.

Once it's converted instead of empty, then people will ask me to help them move.
__________________
Rusty 87 build thread
musigenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 06:17 PM   #19
Skoolie
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Windham NH
Posts: 215
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
It just sounds like you need two box trucks LOL
Like, tie them together?
Screenshot_2019-08-29 jurrasic park 2 vehicle at DuckDuckGo.png
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 07:42 PM   #20
Skoolie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Lebanon, Indiana
Posts: 164
Coachwork: In the market
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazetsukai View Post
Like, tie them together?
Attachment 36940
Not what I meant but that might work also. I just meant one for converting and one for hauling stuff. Now that you mention it though, I do have this crazy idea. What if I convert a conventional or front engine flat nose bus into a skoolie, then when the engine is worn out I get a second bus, convert it (or swap it all over) and then adapt the front of the original bus to tow behind the newer bus? It'd probably end up looking a lot like that photo, especially if the trailer-bus is a flat nose and snugs up behind the tow-bus. Maybe fab an accordion skirt to bridge between them like articulated buses. Then have the best of both worlds - a self-contained skoolie and a garage/shop/box truck tow-behind. Ehh, passing fancy.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.