Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2019, 07:44 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
Ehh, passing fancy.
If I ever get the chance, I'm building a dedicated bath house skoolie.

kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 08:05 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazetsukai View Post
I'm intrigued...
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 02:00 PM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.
It really helps me make up my mind.
It looks like box vs skoolie is more of a personal preference.
Might work great for me, but not for someone else.
yfrank14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 02:04 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Is a height over 10' really a problem?
Even 13' 6" should clear all but old bridges on back roads .
Probably wont clear most gas station or drive thru window awings.
Certainly a consideration. Roof top A/C or solar will add to the height.
Anyone just clearing things at 10' in a bus?
yfrank14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 03:48 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by yfrank14 View Post
Is a height over 10' really a problem?
Even 13' 6" should clear all but old bridges on back roads .
Probably wont clear most gas station or drive thru window awings.
Certainly a consideration. Roof top A/C or solar will add to the height.
Anyone just clearing things at 10' in a bus?
Yes. Cables and branches in neighborhoods and urban areas. I scrape all the time at 10.5'
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 09:04 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Yes. Cables and branches in neighborhoods and urban areas. I scrape all the time at 10.5'
Every time I drive from my lot to my house, I end up with a bunch of pine branches stuck in the top of my sideview mirror, which is at roof height. I don't have any idea where this tree even is.
Old 09-04-2019, 05:02 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Bluebird, Collins
Chassis: G30 Bluebird Microbird, E350 Shuttle Bus
Engine: 1995 Chevrolet 350, 1992 Ford 460
Late comments are my specialty it seems lol.
About 2 months ago I bought a 1991 Class A Motorhome on a Isuzu NPR chassis. I’ve only driven it from Tacoma to Mount Vernon so about 100 miles. It runs good but does not have a lot of extra power. But achieved 15mpg average. It’s 28 feet long and I call it the Stretch Van as it is basically a similar basic shape of a limo van.
The other reasons I got it are the RV frame is aluminum. The ceiling was much too low so I’ve spent the last 2 months raising it with 0.090 inch aluminum. What a job. I had a dizzy spell and almost fell off the roof this morning. Thankfully it’s almost ready for the epdm liquid rubber roof coating.
The suspension on Old NPR trucks is nothing to write home about. Rough ride I noticed. Very basic leaf spring suspension. I’m not sure if air bags are available or would help??. I think with luxury coaches one is paying for much nicer suspension. My friends old Greyhound bus has dual airbags on each wheel
Doktari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 05:06 PM   #28
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Post pics of the NPR class a if you can!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 05:44 PM   #29
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by yfrank14 View Post
The more i think about it, the more i think i would be better off converting a box truck than a skoolie.
Anybody thought about a box truck but rejected it and went with the skoolie?
Just wondering if there is any area where you are better off with a skoolie.
I realize a lot of it is personal preference but if someone where to give you a perfect box truck, would you convert it or sell it and use the money for a skoolie?
Another interesting thread here...

Random thoughts while I get over a day in the sun...

I'm in the opposite boat -- I was given a bus...
Wasn't looking for a bus...

I was sorta looking for a Loadstar 1600 crewcab or IH Travellete (the first made 4dr p'ups! )

But now I got this bus! I kinda like that it's a little narrower than a Loadstar.
I like that it will get double the mpg of a Loadstar...
I don't like that it doesn't have multiple crew doors.
I will modify the rear emergency door so I can load larger things easily...
I like that hauled cargo can stay dry and out of sight.
I like that a modular primitive camper setup can be installed as well.
I would never bother to raise the roof of a school bus. Buy a bigger bus or buy a flat bed and a connex...

At the very worst I've got a good engine and xmsn to put in a Travellete and a lot of scrap metal to sell...
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 06:21 PM   #30
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Post pics of the NPR class a if you can!
I’ll get pictures soon if all goes well.
To address your question about height. The Isuzu Motorhome is about 11’ now after the 16” roof raise. I did not raise the entire roof. I cut a very large hole. 18’9” long by 45” wide. I sloped the front and rear of the roof raise so as to push branches and objects up and over. There are now zero roof penetrations. Actually there are the two original 1.5” abs vents still poking through at the edge of the roof. I could not see a way to change them without tearing into the walls.
I have a 48” aluminum hatch from a boat that I’m considering placing on the roof but hesitate to cut a big hole in the nice new roof.
I’m waiting for a aluminum boat shop to bend the edge aluminum running down both sides. Those are the last big pieces.
Old 09-04-2019, 06:30 PM   #31
Bus Nut

Quote:
I’m with you there lol. I have a large aluminum trough I got from a defunct laundromat. I’m considering placing it where the folding couch/bed was and place a lid with cushions over it to make a day bed that has a hidden bathtub.
I’d need to be parked near a stream or something lol. I can think of a couple perfect spots already. So looking forward to going mobile.
What do you mean by a dedicated bath house? Do you mean the entire bus. Wow! why mobile?
Old 09-04-2019, 07:32 PM   #32
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktari View Post
I had a dizzy spell and almost fell off the roof this morning.
It would be interesting to set up some sort of "Life Alert" system here on skoolie.net, where you could note that you're about to do something dangerous and if you don't check back in in say, an hour or so, somebody here could call an emergency contact number for you. I was welding shut some holes in my bus floor today, and the underside of my bus has this annoying habit of catching fire when I do it. I'm completely alone doing this, so it would be nice to think there was someone out there that could sweep my ashes into a little box or something like that.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:35 PM   #33
Bus Geek

Quote:
I’m with you there lol. I have a large aluminum trough I got from a defunct laundromat. I’m considering placing it where the folding couch/bed was and place a lid with cushions over it to make a day bed that has a hidden bathtub.
I’d need to be parked near a stream or something lol. I can think of a couple perfect spots already. So looking forward to going mobile.
What do you mean by a dedicated bath house? Do you mean the entire bus. Wow! why mobile?
I think an inflatable hot tub on the roof would be the thing to do.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:51 PM   #34

Stepvan

After considering all the options, I went with a Stepvan. Nearly finished with the conversion and no regrets. It's similar to a same sized skoolie, but taller inside space and all those windows are awfull in cold and hot, never mind the lack of security.
And1Mell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:57 PM   #35
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by And1Mell View Post
After considering all the options, I went with a Stepvan. Nearly finished with the conversion and no regrets. It's similar to a same sized skoolie, but taller inside space and all those windows are awfull in cold and hot, never mind the lack of security.
How tall are they inside, exactly? I keep hearing things like 78", but that's how tall my school bus is, down the center at least.
Old 09-04-2019, 09:59 PM   #36
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by And1Mell View Post
Congratulations on your conversion. Sounds like a winner. I looked at some step vans but they were very worn out. Some don’t have a highway gear.
I’ve often wondered why folks sometimes get a skoolie and take out the windows and cut holes in the roof for accessories. I don’t want RV stuff in my roof. And I like the windows.
The uniqueness of each skoolie is interesting.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:29 AM   #37
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
I’d need to be parked near a stream or something lol. I can think of a couple perfect spots already.
Well, if the whole bus was dedicated to that function, you could fit a couple 330 gallon IBCs onboard. Additionally, I'd explore ways to source water locally and recycle what I can.

Quote:
So looking forward to going mobile.
You and me both...

Quote:
Yeah, full bus.... I'm not super serious about this one, just a fun idea.

My current bus is being built to facilitate a lifestyle change, one that opens doors in the future for me. Financial freedom, less stuff, etc. Once things settle down, I have a few dozen acres owned outright, this is one of those things I wouldn't mind doing as a project.

My whole plan is to buy land and build on it, and I liked the idea of a dedicated building for bathing. That's probably what it will end up being, but given I'm building a bus to live in, the idea of a crossover had to hit me at some point.

It would be very interesting to try to recreate a Japanese style bathhouse in a skoolie. Heavily themed indoors and out, roof raise, entrance with a vending machine (complete with coffee flavored milk), a transition area, then a washing area and hot tub.

Anyone can guess there's a mountain of problems to solve there. Lots of water, lots of weight, and a lot to heat. Short of some large wood fired furnace and elaborate heat exchange, I don't know what could support heating 300-800 gallons of water to 100-110F. But hearing that shishi-odoshi in the background...

But back to the topic at hand- how much do these box trucks go for? Seems like they might be a little easier/quicker to convert.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 08:35 AM   #38
Bus Nut

Coachwork: American Cargo 14'L x 7'8"W x 7'H Box
Chassis: Ford E350 Cutaway
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 11500 lbs
Quote:
But back to the topic at hand- how much do these box trucks go for? Seems like they might be a little easier/quicker to convert.
Box trucks are typically more expensive than skoolies of similar size since a lot of businesses are looking for delivery trucks. There are times where a retired skoolie goes for crazy money and a nice box truck goes for a reasonable amount but there is no such thing like a dirt cheap, running and rust free box truck.

I paid $3400 for a 2000 International 4700 with 26' box and hydraulic lift gate in 2015 and used it as our moving truck for two round trips from Maryland to Montana. Here we are, loaded for bear, on the Missouri river during our last trip East.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171010_074412 (2).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	37110
Then, it served as a temporary airplane hangar.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180914_130215.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	557.4 KB
ID:	37109
Currently it is used as a small wood workshop for finishing our home. Once we are done with this, I will sell the truck since it is too big for my RV needs. But you see how useful box trucks are for other things and that drives the prices up.

Last year, I bought a 14' box (7' headroom) on a 1999 E350 7.3L Powerstroke chassis for $3900 to do an RV conversion.

I realized again the usefulness of box trucks are after noticing that I put 6000 miles on this thing without even starting any conversion work on it. At least we did some camping trips with an inflatable mattress and folding chairs/table in the rear.
alpine44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 10:13 AM   #39
Bus Nut

Quote:
Well, if the whole bus was dedicated to that function, you could fit a couple 330 gallon IBCs onboard. Additionally, I'd explore ways to source water locally and recycle what I can.

You and me both...

Yeah, full bus.... I'm not super serious about this one, just a fun idea.

My current bus is being built to facilitate a lifestyle change, one that opens doors in the future for me. Financial freedom, less stuff, etc. Once things settle down, I have a few dozen acres owned outright, this is one of those things I wouldn't mind doing as a project.

My whole plan is to buy land and build on it, and I liked the idea of a dedicated building for bathing. That's probably what it will end up being, but given I'm building a bus to live in, the idea of a crossover had to hit me at some point.

It would be very interesting to try to recreate a Japanese style bathhouse in a skoolie. Heavily themed indoors and out, roof raise, entrance with a vending machine (complete with coffee flavored milk), a transition area, then a washing area and hot tub.

Anyone can guess there's a mountain of problems to solve there. Lots of water, lots of weight, and a lot to heat. Short of some large wood fired furnace and elaborate heat exchange, I don't know what could support heating 300-800 gallons of water to 100-110F. But hearing that shishi-odoshi in the background...

A all aluminum box on a box truck might be more practical for a bath house. But maybe not have the cool factor of a skoolie.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:27 AM   #40
Bus Nut

I almost traded for a cube van but decided it was too rough condition. Glad I didn’t as my skoolie in better shape came along. I had a 40’ box trailer, the 18 wheeler commercial type, and it was cavernous, awesome. When it came to moving time it was terrible. I could not find a trucker to move it until I asked the instructor at the driving school. He said no problem for $200. But I sold it. I decided a 20 foot trailer would fit in the tight spaces I need to use better. If I find a 20 footer I’ll buy it as I think they are perfect.
Anyway my point is any big box that can be locked is incredibly useful and indispensable. The stealthy factor was also appealing of course.
In one hour I’m buying a Ford E350 shuttle bus with Collins Diplomat body. It’s pretty cool. The seats are much nicer than school bus so maybe I’ll keep one or two of them.
But the overlander box trucks are interesting. I like how the cab tilts forward for working in the engine.