Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2009, 07:22 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Spartan (I think)
Engine: Cummins BT-6
Rated Cap: 72
Re: BP Finds Large Oil Deposit In Gulf Of Mexico

Unfortunately, probably not all that many. Plus, if 4-6 billion barrels of crude will only supply the US needs for less than a year... doesn't that look a little bit like conspicuous consumerism? I know there has to be a better way, and I am hoping science and technology will get the support they need to find it soon. But, I have to admit the likelihood of that in today's economy is pretty slim. I was pleasantly surprised that the company I work for, Johns Manville, just partnered with a Solar Research firm to form a new company combining JM's roofing expertise with the other company's Solar knowledge. They hope to produce Solar Power roofing within the next couple of years. Not THE solution, but it should help.
Lee

Old 09-05-2009, 08:08 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas Transit Liner
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: CAT 3208 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachtwulf
I was pleasantly surprised that the company I work for, Johns Manville, just partnered with a Solar Research firm to form a new company combining JM's roofing expertise with the other company's Solar knowledge. They hope to produce Solar Power roofing within the next couple of years. Not THE solution, but it should help.
Lee
Its about time more companies take the potential of solar seriously & a solar roof is a great idea instead of just mounting panels on top of... I know it is expensive but seriously, the sun is free! In time all solar will pay itself off plus I know in NM we will benefit from the kick-backs for buying solar equipment so there are some perks.
ezbme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:02 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Solar shingles are on the market now, but installation is a pain. You need to drill a hole behind each one into the attic, then have wiring troughs run under the roof every 12 inches or so to make all the connections in. The idea of solar double-coverage roll roofing would be very intriguing. Even competition/choice in the solar shingle market is a good thing.

One of the problems with solar roofing is heat. Electric output goes down as the cells heat up. With an airspace between the roof and standard panels, especially with cooling airflow, the panels can be more productive in summer than if they were nailed directly onto a hot attic. Still, it's much better than not having them, and much more pleasant to the eye in historic neighborhoods where appearance is a factor.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote