Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2016, 04:36 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
All is forgiven! I didn't realize caging would be so easy. Definitely a good piece of info to carry in the back pocket, just in case. I'll have to roll under my bus tonight to check whether the caging bolts are present and not seized in their holders. I had wondered how air could both release the park brake and apply the service brake -- for some reason it never occurred to me that the sections of rod in the service and parking brake could separate. I learned two new things today.

family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 04:44 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by family wagon View Post
All is forgiven! I didn't realize caging would be so easy. Definitely a good piece of info to carry in the back pocket, just in case. I'll have to roll under my bus tonight to check whether the caging bolts are present and not seized in their holders. I had wondered how air could both release the park brake and apply the service brake -- for some reason it never occurred to me that the sections of rod in the service and parking brake could separate. I learned two new things today.

this is great info!! I never knew there was a way to release them unless air was applied! makes sense in case the air cylinder fails..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 05:18 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: International
Engine: Navistar 5.9 Diesel
Rated Cap: A butt-load...
Speaking of breaking down: I was saddened today on my way home from work, at the sight of a big RE, broken down on the exit ramp to 595, transmission standing still right on the turnpike. RIP, bus....[emoji22]

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
skoolie_n00bie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 12:31 AM   #24
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoolie_n00bie View Post

Question: any pointers on keeping a "fix-a-flat" can (found some on amazon for x-large tires), and maybe an air compressor? In your experience, have these items proven helpful during your travels?
Knocking on wood that nobody ever needs to find out, though...
Personally, I'd lean towards no. A lot of that stuff fills the tire with a slime/sludge/liquid mix that's supposed to plug the leak. Often, it might - except now you have a tire filled with this gooey, slimy, quasi-liquid material....which the mechanic at the tire shop now has to deal with - all over your rim, and hopefully not all over their tire machine. I'd imagine with a bigger tire, it makes a bigger mess.

The air compressor I'd keep on hand - but make sure it can actually put out the volume/pressure for a large van or truck tire. If you can keep pumping air into it, you're more likely to make it to a place where you can get the tire changed before it becomes a more serious problem. Either way you'll pay for the tire - but with an air compressor, you might be able to avoid the tow bill.
Mark_In_MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 04:03 AM   #25
Bus Geek

If you have air brakes you already have a great compressor on board. A lot of truckers keep a nice long air hose for airing up. I've not had a flat on a bus but from truckers I've seen getting flats, the tire is usually destroyed. Air is good if you have a leak and can pump it up but I wouldn't trust my commercial tire with it. Regular cars are pumped to about 35 psi, our busses are 80-120 psi.. That's a lot more pressure fox any goo to contend with.
Christopher
Old 04-27-2016, 05:17 AM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Wow. There's a wealth of information in this thread. I'm glad I won't have to deal with air brakes ;)

Has anyone got any recommendations on road coverage? I would imagine a lot of the camper/RV branded services are likely only a handful of different companies under-the-hood (haha....see what I did there?!)

I've read that changing a tire on a schoolie isn't a picnic, but an E-350 or similar should be equivalent to changing a large pickup tire, no?
kargofab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 06:27 AM   #27
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by kargofab View Post
Wow. There's a wealth of information in this thread. I'm glad I won't have to deal with air brakes ;)

Has anyone got any recommendations on road coverage? I would imagine a lot of the camper/RV branded services are likely only a handful of different companies under-the-hood (haha....see what I did there?!)

I've read that changing a tire on a schoolie isn't a picnic, but an E-350 or similar should be equivalent to changing a large pickup tire, no?
an E-350 tire change isnt bad.. I would though carry a better jack than what the factory provides, and of course wheel chocks.. Dualie wheels are heavy but not so heavy that a decently healthy person cant handle them. carrying a 12 volt Impact wrench(with long cord) and then a manual torque wrench is also helpful..

some people with E-350's carry a spare.. others figure if they blow a front tire they can swap one of the dualies off the rear to LIMP them to an exit where they can get a proper repair done... all depends on whether the coach builder ordered / or left the factory spare or removed it and used the under-bus space for something else..

-Christopher
Old 04-27-2016, 10:03 AM   #28
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
I've got Good Sam Roadside Assistance for the bus which also covers our cars. If memory serves I paid about $80/year for three years coverage. I've had my cars towed three times but haven't had to use it for the bus. You call an 800 number and they send out the nearest tow truck. We've always had quick service (under an hour) in town.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:48 AM   #29
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: International
Engine: Navistar 5.9 Diesel
Rated Cap: A butt-load...
Quote:
Originally Posted by roach711 View Post
I've got Good Sam Roadside Assistance for the bus which also covers our cars. If memory serves I paid about $80/year for three years coverage. I've had my cars towed three times but haven't had to use it for the bus. You call an 800 number and they send out the nearest tow truck. We've always had quick service (under an hour) in town.
At the end, that's my plan, too: to have road-side assistance.
I'll have "some" items and tools, but no way i can get the bus moving on my own if we break down
skoolie_n00bie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 11:29 AM   #30
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
It would be nice to have a tool trailer right behind the bus so we could fix most things, but it's a lot of weight to drag around.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 03:46 PM   #31
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
I think I am going to have Ivan or Aaronsb fabricate a 350 lb pull out shelf on drawer casters from my undercarriage for tool boxes and what not. With a small pancake compressor attached, I bet that would be the ticket!
Docsgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 04:22 PM   #32
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Have you seen those Joey Beds? They are basically a big drawer made for pickup beds. Fit well in suburbans as well. It wouldn't take much to hang a setup like that under the bus.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote