Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2009, 07:46 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350
brown recluse spyder

well,as you can see i have been bitten by a brown recluse spyder,while i was sleeping in my room in camp in fort mcmurry,alberta.This is what it looks like about 5 days after being bitIt didnt look like much at first,looked like a pimple.Then it swelled up and all hell broke loose.Hurts like hell too.So i cant do too much right now but sit in the bus with the ac on.Funny how something so small can take you down,i cant even drink beer! So beware of those nasty critters all....... timbuk

timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 04:45 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: brown recluse spyder

Please put a warning before the picture so those who are more squeamish dont get surprised.
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:42 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: IH
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 72

Timbuk, If you have not seen a doctor, go now! This could be serious and deadly. We don't want to loose a fellow Skoolie, even if you are from the Great White North.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:27 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

thanks guys um under medical surveilance as i speak today the doc pulled alot of puss out of there and the next thing i knew i had a big hole in my hand. i got real nervous and the doc thought i was checkin out."it will heal" he kept reassuring me my work buddies are freakin there in the same camp.Gotta see the doc every day and eating horse pills.Bite in that shot is 6 days old just takin it easy,timbuk
Old 08-06-2009, 02:22 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

captain smashy thanks for the words of encouragement timbuk
Old 08-06-2009, 08:37 PM   #6
Almost There

Year: 85
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: G.M.C. 6000 series
Engine: 366 G.M.
Rated Cap: 60

Where are all these spiders coming from? Four years ago before huricaine Katrina came through here in south Miss. I never heard of any encounters with the brown recluse, then the storm came and bam a half a dozen people get bite. Scares the hell out of me , Im all the time diggin through old junk trucks and busses. And from what all the victims tell me they didnt even know that they had been biten until they started rotting away . Oh yea it started to hurt for the girlie guys, I forgot about that. Naw I bet it hurts like hell. One almost killed my brother he didnt work for 15 days all he could do was watch T.V. and sweat bullets with the A.C. blowin on him,it almost took him out.Get bite no sh-- go to a doctor these things can kill you and beware of your surroundings. Russell
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 12:12 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Spartan (I think)
Engine: Cummins BT-6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
Gov Spec Ops......didn't you get the memo?

Smitty
Can't be that, Smitty. Nowadays THEY only use "Black Widows"!
Didn't YOU get the memo?
Old 08-13-2009, 02:13 PM   #8
Almost There

Year: 1988
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 8.2L Detroit Diesel
Rated Cap: 54

Yes, these nasty spiders are being reported in my home state of Iowa now, after their existence was denied for many years. Six people in my little hometown were bitten by a brown recluse and treated at the hospital in 2008. I haven't heard of any deaths, though. We caught one in my dad's basement here in NW Missouri. We found it right where you would expect to find one - a dark, cool, cluttered corner in the basement. Luckily we captured it before it bit one of us. I took a picture of it beside my fingertip after I was sure it was dead, so to give an idea of the size of the spider.
In addition to the brown recluse, we must watch out for the black widow spider. I have caught two here in Missouri. One crawled out from beneath the seat in my jonboat, and the other was lurking in my pile of lumber as I was building the deck on my bus. I was certain of its identity - a large, round, shiny black body with red markings, and long, spindly legs. From what I hear, you will know right away when one of these bite... the pain is supposed to be nearly unbearable within a few minutes, followed by cold sweats, convulsions and vomitting. Kill these little bastards if you see them.
I also treat the inside of my bus with a pesticide I buy at Wal-Mart. I do it a couple times during the warm weather, and it works. The only bugs I find in my bus are curled up dead.

-Adam
arfisher83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:16 PM   #9
Almost There

Year: 1988
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 8.2L Detroit Diesel
Rated Cap: 54

Here's the picture I took of the brown recluse. I put it in a container of rubbing alcohol to preserve it.

-Adam

Attached Thumbnails
100_1053.jpg  
arfisher83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 03:02 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

hard to believe that little bastard can do so much damage.im healing but i still have a open wound and a hole in my finger but the swelling has gone down.its been 2 weeks now,im still off work,mind you im in no hurry to go back.had a lady from washington tell me they have no such thing there.......im sure that they are everywhere in north america now! timbuk
Old 08-13-2009, 05:33 PM   #11
Bus Nut

I catch spiders all the time, I use an old large batman soda cup I got from Tragic Molehill, Big cup, heavy plastic straw, lid that snaps on tight. All you need is a something similar, Something about the size of a sheet of paper but more rigid, and a herding stick. Although the paper sized sheet will work for the herding stick also.

Put the cup in font of the spider and use the stick to prod it to move into the cup. Or, Place the cup over the spider, then lifting the cup just enough to get the paper under it, slowly push the paper under the cup till you can lift it and the cup up to walk outside. Just don't kill in the cup, the poisons are toxic to humans as well, and I'm sure you wouldn't want to keep it close by if you did. I always have a reaction anytime anyone sprays ants in my house.
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:00 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

timbuki will be trying to claim for a aracniphobia type mental relapsing permenant dissability that can only be tamed by barley,hops,and underground type vegetation intake
Old 08-18-2009, 12:09 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: IH
Engine: dt466

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbuk
timbuki will be trying to claim for a aracniphobia type mental relapsing permenant dissability that can only be tamed by barley,hops,and underground type vegetation intake
From what I understand, that BC-BUD could make you see really big spiders
Old 08-20-2009, 01:41 AM   #14
Bus Crazy

ok so its been 3 weeks since i was bit and today i went to the doc. puss still comes out the pusshole but not so bad my finger is swolllen but it lookd like the butcher was maskin sausage and didnt get enough meat in the sock. im told yer finger is healin insidenout.Im noticin its VERYgtender and is painful these days and stiff.doc says rebuild muscles-2 more weeks off.5 weeks for the spyder,boysWOW! never heard of a browm recluse till now!timbuk
Old 08-21-2009, 04:11 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

well today i was told by the union hall that syncrude,the oil giant where i was working is trying to denie my compo claim.This is not good news at all.There will be a fight......
Old 08-21-2009, 08:30 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

yep smitty its all part of LIVING THE DREAM! I still got a outhouse full of emptys though.Last night the power went out so i plugged the genny into the bus and practised livin in it! timbuk
Old 09-01-2009, 03:02 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

well today i got released by the doc to go back to work!I have a hunk of scar tissue left on my finger but it feels pretty good and i can move it well.So it looks like im going back to camp to work for a couple of months .Ill need to get a laptop this time so I can get on skoolie to stay in touch.It was interesting to hear about all those spidey stories out there,and people that were not aware must be now after this post.The dam things are everywhere now!So I get a week off then I go after labor day.Still waiting for compensation reply,though.Thanks for all the support from you guys.Ill drink beer,play with my bus and go for some boat rides before I leave.Timbuk
Old 09-02-2009, 12:25 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

http://[img]http://www.skoolie.net/a....jpg[/img]pic of the fingy today check the scar tissue35 days old
Old 09-03-2009, 12:39 AM   #19
Bus Nut

Wow that was quite the story Timbuk. I guess I have to start paying better attention to what kind of spiders my kids play with, cause if they see a spider the go and investigate and play with it. And if those spiders are in Fort Mac then they'll sure be here too. (Northern BC, Chetwynd)
swinada is offline   Reply With Quote