Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2014, 10:51 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Build a Utility Trailer That Sleeps 8

Make a utility trailer camper that sleeps 8 kids

I would suggest that anyone who builds something like this to build a slight bow in the roof to shed the water better (flat roofs are bad about ponding then leaking). Add insulation and plan the layout of the bunks better. Kinda like the old sleeping cars on trains (watch the movie Some Like It Hot for berths with curtains for privacy on each berth)

Still of berths from Some Like It Hot
http://www.moviestillsdb.com/movies/som ... 291/d2baaf
http://www.moviestillsdb.com/movies/som ... 1/e9e45b23 Note the feet. They are using carpeted rungs to climb into the berths.

https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 10:58 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

We were just talking about this exact thing today. People build huge expensive, overly complicated buses with slide outs for their bunks. All to have larger living quarters and still have real beds. I say the real answer is to have a huge lounge, kitchen, bath, and master bedroom in the main coach where you spend most of your time. Then you can trailer your bunk house behind the bus . Every one can have a bigger bed, and it will be way cheaper and faster to build.
I have seen this exact thing done on another forum where the truck had a rear door that lead to the hitch. 1 step across the hitch and you where in the door to the bunk room. It even had it's own bathroom! Also if it was a day trip the bunk house just stays home! People need to think outside the box...or the bus as it may be ;)
sweetfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:07 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

I would have mounted the window shaker up high and not down low.

Cold air sinks so it is going to be hard for that unit to cool the top bunk without freezing those on the lower bunks.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 04:51 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

A very valid point about the AC! When we mounted our AC unit in the wall we mounted it as high as we could and still be able to reach the controls! That box needs some more insulation while he is at it too. But I like the concept!
sweetfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 10:26 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
A guy down the road builds these and sells them for 40k. He calls them "tiny houses".
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote