Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2005, 05:20 PM   #1
Skoolie

Bus Specs

Hi all, I just bought a bus and didnt get much info from the former owner other than it has a 366 engine and a allison trans I wondered where I could more details like the rear axle ratio and what is the safe cruse speed.

Its a 87 Chevy C60 Blue Bird

Is there an online service manual for my bus?

Nice site I will be doing a lot of reading here soon.

Thanks in advance..

hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 10:32 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

you should be able to go to the local Chevy dealer and give him the infomation off of the data tag on the rearend of the bus. If not go to a "big" truck dealer. I know that sounds easy but I know how finding the correct info can be sometimes. Also that is a "tall deck" engine if memeory serves me correct. If top speed is a concern then you will need to swap rearend gears to change speed. I believe those type of engines are like diesel engines,,in that if you want higher top speed in high gear then a gear swap is the best way to go. You can "turn-up the fuel" on a diesel,but if done too much it will be turning too many rpms and eventually "break". A gas engine can be made to run faster but then fuel mileage is a concern then. Good luck....
Old 11-23-2005, 07:19 PM   #3
Skoolie

Thanks for the info I will look for a tag on the rear axle, any price guess on the gearing change?

Any idea what the max RPM the 366 is good for?
Old 11-24-2005, 12:58 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 366 propane
Rated Cap: 56
Re: engine info

I have an 86 gmc bluebird with a 366 and an allison 5 spd standard transmission. I can't referance RPM's because I have no gauge. She cruises at 60 mph and the governer kicks in at 65 mph if memory recals.
If I can I try to cruise at about 55mph for fuel economy reasons. She gets mighty thirsty much faster than that.

-Richard
captainkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 01:05 PM   #5
Skoolie

Re: engine info

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainkf
I have an 86 gmc bluebird with a 366 and an allison 5 spd standard transmission. I can't referance RPM's because I have no gauge. She cruises at 60 mph and the governer kicks in at 65 mph if memory recals.
If I can I try to cruise at about 55mph for fuel economy reasons. She gets mighty thirsty much faster than that.

-Richard
Hi
Thanks for the input, mine hs no governor thats what scares me heh, I need ot add a tach just to see what the RPM is at what speed then figure out what is the safe RPM to run at all the time.

What kind of MPG you seeing at different speeds?

Thansk agian.
Old 11-24-2005, 01:14 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 366 propane
Rated Cap: 56
mpg

Well, It's difficult to be super accurate. Most of the driving with the bus was when we moved. The bus was very loaded (10,000 lbs) with stuff on the roof rack and towing a 10' long cargo trailer. It also runs off propane right now (not for long!). The bus has a new engine in which also helps.

Anyways... I figured I was probably able to get a 2 mpg when I wasn't pushing the speed which is a big savings considering I was only able to get about 6-7 mpg overall for aprox 6000 kms of travel.

I am hoping the switch to reg fuel will help this. It should give more power also and take a bit of the strain off the system. I have a 60 gallon tank and a fuel pump waiting to be installed. This will be one of the first spring projects unless I can find indoor storage where I am able to work on the bus over the winter.

-Richard
captainkf is offline   Reply With Quote