Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2021, 10:42 AM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE200
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 27,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
I'll bet the OP got it started...by now, I sure hope so. But this old thread has some consistent themes and raises two of the evergreen problems. First, the mention that the batteries are "fully charged" but aren't cranking the engine. As TJones mentioned, the batteries should be load tested. I'm a bit late to the party...since Ted suggested that way back in 2018! But, here's a video I shot a couple of weeks ago and just uploaded yesterday:

https://youtu.be/ystmn3ly61Q

And, the original problem is almost certainly a fuel priming issue. Even a small air pocket can prevent priming after a filter change or, as I did recently, running out of fuel. It can take quite a bit to prime a fuel system after either one of these occurrences and may, as mentioned by a couple of the members above, require cracking the injector lines. Using ether to run the engine, to help with priming, is never a good idea. This might help someone facing a loss-of-fuel-prime issue...skip to 15:17 to get to the priming part:

https://youtu.be/0SI_zeZfQXM
Enjoyed your video Ross.

Oldyeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 08:25 AM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466e
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
I'll bet the OP got it started...by now, I sure hope so. But this old thread has some consistent themes and raises two of the evergreen problems. First, the mention that the batteries are "fully charged" but aren't cranking the engine. As TJones mentioned, the batteries should be load tested. I'm a bit late to the party...since Ted suggested that way back in 2018! But, here's a video I shot a couple of weeks ago and just uploaded yesterday:

https://youtu.be/ystmn3ly61Q

And, the original problem is almost certainly a fuel priming issue. Even a small air pocket can prevent priming after a filter change or, as I did recently, running out of fuel. It can take quite a bit to prime a fuel system after either one of these occurrences and may, as mentioned by a couple of the members above, require cracking the injector lines. Using ether to run the engine, to help with priming, is never a good idea. This might help someone facing a loss-of-fuel-prime issue...skip to 15:17 to get to the priming part:

https://youtu.be/0SI_zeZfQXM
Thanks fir the vid you made. Someone had already told me to check the batteries and let me use a charger. My issue at first was the starter making noise like it was failing. I assumed the hear on the inside was slipping or something, if that even makes sense. Well, after charging the battery overnight that sound has went away and saved me from replacing a, what seems to be, good starter. Turns out that even though my multimeter read good voltage the charge percentage was low. I've since then purchased a battery charger/maintainer and leave it plugged in on the low 3amp setting and the starter sounds fine now. Almost purchased a new for nothing

As far as priming, I put a full Jerry can (can't remember how many gallons) of diesel in getting it up to about 1/4 tank and have hit the primer button so many times but stil can't get it to start. When I use starter fluid the engine revs up really good but doesn't actually start, just sounds like it does.

6I removed the bleed screw cap and pressed in on the little bicycle valve and diesel squirts out a little. I hooked up a gas pressure gauge and it holds pressure but slowly gows down from 40 to 20 and then even slower from there. Is it supposed to stay pressurized after hitting the primer button? It won't go pass 40 for some reason, or not that far pass it. Always gets to 40 then twitches all over the place in between 40 and 0

If low fuel is what caused this I will never let it get lower than half full again! Is there a device I can hook up tonthe tank to help? Like a pressurizing pump or something? When I couldn't get it started after it getting towed years back, a guy sprayed starter fluid near the air filter and it started right up. I've done it twice since then and it's worked. Even after changing my fuel filter not too long ago I pushed the primer button until I couldn't any more and it started right up on the first try. The starter spins like it should so I hope it's not something else. Before all this it started with no issue

Thanks
adic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 03:33 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
switch to a squirt bottle of gasoline instead of either unless it is already addicted to ether.
the gas does the same thing but is alot softer drug.
for losing pressure you either have a fuel line cracked somewhere or a bad check valve but that is not vehicle specific but is where i would start.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 02:58 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466e
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
switch to a squirt bottle of gasoline instead of either unless it is already addicted to ether.
the gas does the same thing but is alot softer drug.
for losing pressure you either have a fuel line cracked somewhere or a bad check valve but that is not vehicle specific but is where i would start.
I was pumping the primer pump on the fuel filter housing and got advised to "crack" 😂 some "lines" 🤣 and I noticed one of the nuts were kinda loose. Maybe not hand tight loose but definitely took no effort with a wrench. No struggle at all. Not saying that was part of the problem but it's in the back of my mind. Still not starting tho.

How can I tell if my engine has spark plugs. I was told that I didn't have any glow plugs so I gotta have spark plugs right? Also, probably a dumb question but how do I tell if my dt466e has injectors? I read somewhere that the dt466e , "e" indicating electric, had a "lift pump"? I think this is incorrect but I'm not sure. That's like a mechanical thing, or am I wrong?

Another question: how can one tell if they used enough starter fluid to damage the engine? What usually happens when you get to that point? Can you tell by the sound of something or? Probably should start my own thread lol
adic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 03:19 PM   #25
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2
No spark plugs on a diesel. If no glow plugs maybe an air intake grid heater. These only aid in the initial start by heating the air charge. The fuel in a diesel is ignited by the heat of the compressed air. To start you need to spin the engine fast enough, have an unrestricted air supply and have fuel to the injectors. If your batteries and/or starter are weak it won't spin fast enough. You could have a rat's nest in your air filter, or the engine might not have fuel if your engine interlocks are tripped.

A diesel needs a solid stream of fuel up to the injectors. When you prime a diesel that is what you are doing, eliminating as much air as possible in the fuel supply lines, filters, etc.

If you have a hand pump you might need to do a lot of pumping, especially if your fuel filter can was installed befit of filtered fuel.

In my experience I've had to crack the fuel supply to individual injectors to get the engine to fire.

Whatever you do: research the priming procedure for your specific engine, and don't keep cranking the engine until you destroy your batteries and/or starter.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dt466e, fuel filter, replacing fuel filters