Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2006, 04:57 PM   #1

Bus won't start, Please Help!!!

I have a 25 foot '89 Ford(Wayne) diesel bus that won't start. It has been sitting for about 4 months. When I turn the key, there is nothing. No click, nothing. The lights work, and the radio works, but no start. I tried jump starting it from another car, but to no avail. The 2 commercial batteries it has are only a year old, but the cable terminals are REALLY corroded on the positive end. I'm thinking that may be the problem, but could it also be that the batteries have drained from sitting for awhile? I guess I should've unconnected the cables months ago.

Also, a friend who was using the bus before it sat was running it on 60% veggie oil and 40% diesel straight in the tank, no type of conversion or proper filtering. It ran for a little while then died because I think it got all gunked up. Well, I drained the tank and filled it with fresh diesel. Then I replaced the fuel filters(filled with fresh diesel), and tried to prime it with the handy pump on the injector thingy, that's when I found there was no power. If I can only get power, then I can continue repriming it if needed. Anyway, I just wanted to hear some more suggestions about my predicament. What did I miss? If I get power, do you think it will start, or do I need to flush the whole system clean somehow? Hopefully it's just the cable terminals, I'll have them replaced tomorrow, I think.

Old 10-30-2006, 11:10 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 92
Coachwork: ward flat nose
Chassis: international
Engine: dt466 mt643 air ride
Rated Cap: 84
first off, I would throughly clean the cables and the battery terminals, and only replace them if they are bad. secondly, I would charge the batteries with a good three stage or automatic charger for at least 8 hours. Slow charging is the best way to restore batteries. Then, check your batteries with a voltage meter and make sure they read at least 12.7 volts. Anything less is not fully charged. Now try to start it. Until it at least CRANKS, there's not much use in messing with the injectors and pump. If it wil crank at the normal speed and still not start, then you can start with the fuel system. But even b4 you do that, make sure the engine is getting plenty of AIR. Make sure there are not bird or rodent nest lodged in the air cleaner or storkel.

Hopes this helps.
kotflb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 09:41 PM   #3
Bus Nut

I'm not going to pretend to know a lot about this, but have a couple idea's... One would be the neutral safety switch, I have found on my bus that sometimes I have to rock the shifter lever around a little before it'll start. Mine also has the VandleLock system in it, if one of the security features are ENABLED the bus will not start. I have unlock all the Emergency exits before it'll start. It also won't start if the emergency exits are open...

Are you getting power on the starter lead from the solenoid. It's a Ford so it should have a starter relay on the fender all somewhere...these are notorious for not working and you can check for voltage to the starter from there...

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 12:02 AM   #4

Thanks, guys, I'll try....