Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2019, 09:00 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
Keep in mind that Adept Ape is a professional Cat mechanic and a Cat cheerleader. It's what he knows, it's what he's good at, it's who signs his paycheck. Not knocking the guy; a lot of good stuff is there to be learned off his channel. Just sayin' that he's not who I would look to for a dispassionate analysis.
He definitely seems to be giving good honest facts and advice.
Someone has to dispel the "Cat myths". I was guilty of spreading it myself and I'm atoning for that sin by trying to spread the word to the "skoolie" community that Cat medium duty engines are as good as any. Sure the later Acert stuff sucks but EVERYONES emissions stuff sucks.
There's plenty of good info out there about Cats and specifically the 3126. I used Adept Ape's vids as a good example because he explains it down to a level almost anyone can understand. I don't think he's at all a "cheerleader" though.

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:08 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickBaptist View Post
Yeah I get ya. I'm a roadside tech for both light and heavy duty work.
I base my bias off experience in the field anymore, I use to be a ferd fan boy but it's been along time since I'd buy their product anymore as far as trucks go.
In my little area I'm the guy people hollar at for the 7.3s and 6OHs, I hate a 6OH BTW and I'm not knocking anyones ride. I'm just the sole provider for my Wife and 4 kids so whatever I own has to be cost effective.

I'm just not going to get in a brand war pissing match, there isn't anything to profit from it and I'm not a vehicle dealer of any kind, I prefer parting them out and scrapping and in that case I only care what it's worth on the market.

I use to watch A.A.'s channel, I didn't realize that he is on here as well. Yeah he has some good videos and like I said nothing I say I want to be taken personally or any of that stuff. That's a big reason I don't even bother with the other diesel forums, far too many kids on there that want to play high school brand bias blabbing that wastes time. With all that said I'm done taking up whom ever is reading time.
Take care all and have a great weekend.
Ever done a DT repair for a leaking/faulty timing cover?
Or had a 53 block or KDP Cummins?

Every medium duty diesel is kinda weak compared the class 8 stuff. All school bus engines have some crap that has to be watched, modded, or otherwise bulletproofed or overcome.
Aside from an oil line upgrade there are no real major things to watch for outside the norm when checking out a 3126. They're also nowhere near as finicky when it comes to coolant as the DT's.

The timing cover was the culprit in my vid above. Wife and i got to know the service manager and foreman over at the HUGE Navistar center and he's told us this failure is extremely common in this era of engines. Also the liner seals seem to give out much quicker than the earlier manufactured units.
Thats just my example of brand loyalty costing me BIG.
I jumped at the chance to buy this bus with extremely low miles and since its a Cat no one was bidding against me.
When I check parts prices I'm finding them to be right in line with DT parts and many are even cheaper.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote