Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2018, 03:05 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Buses with height

Hello all,

Currently in the early stages of shopping around and looking at some buses. I've seen some conversions where the roof gets lifted up a number of inches to accommodate taller people. I'm 6'1" on a good day, so I'm hoping to find a bus that'd be able to accommodate my height without raising the roof.

Ideally I'd want to rip out the ceiling and floor and add in insulation and a subfloor. My question is, what are some buses that I should keep an eye out for and buses to avoid if I would still want to feel comfortable and not have to crank my head to the side?

Much appreciated!

chiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 03:10 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Hey Chiggins,

I would suggest an Amtran, IC or Bluebird and a roof raise.

I am 5'8" and have a bus with high headroom (74") and I am doing a 10" roof raise.

I have been in many buses with and without a raised roof and the difference in perceived space and comfort is significant.

At 5'8" I went into some buses that had a finished ceiling height of 72" and found myself hunching down even though I had a couple of inches clearance.

Good luck on your quest.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 03:35 PM   #3
Almost There

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Hey Chiggins,

I would suggest an Amtran, IC or Bluebird and a roof raise.

I am 5'8" and have a bus with high headroom (74") and I am doing a 10" roof raise.

I have been in many buses with and without a raised roof and the difference in perceived space and comfort is significant.

At 5'8" I went into some buses that had a finished ceiling height of 72" and found myself hunching down even though I had a couple of inches clearance.

Good luck on your quest.

Steve,

Thanks for the suggestion. Roof raise might be outside of what I'd be comfortable doing which is why I'm looking for something that naturally has a little bit more headroom. Will keep in mind what you said though.
chiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 03:50 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Standard buses have a 6'3" ceiling height. The International Genesis AmTran and others have a 6'6" ceiling height. If you get the high roof and don't add any more thickness to the floor when you insulate you will still have headroom. A roof raise is a major undertaking. As others have mention, think about how much or little time you will actually be standing in the bus, and it becomes less of a concern.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 04:29 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiggins View Post
Hello all,

Currently in the early stages of shopping around and looking at some buses. I've seen some conversions where the roof gets lifted up a number of inches to accommodate taller people. I'm 6'1" on a good day, so I'm hoping to find a bus that'd be able to accommodate my height without raising the roof.

Ideally I'd want to rip out the ceiling and floor and add in insulation and a subfloor. My question is, what are some buses that I should keep an eye out for and buses to avoid if I would still want to feel comfortable and not have to crank my head to the side?

Much appreciated!
Buses come in two heights. Standard and high.
High headroom buses will have around 6'4"-6'7" of headroom.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 04:30 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Standard buses have a 6'3" ceiling height. The International Genesis AmTran and others have a 6'6" ceiling height. If you get the high roof and don't add any more thickness to the floor when you insulate you will still have headroom. A roof raise is a major undertaking. As others have mention, think about how much or little time you will actually be standing in the bus, and it becomes less of a concern.
Not all standard buses have 6'3". Some have less.
My 92 Senator/Genesis had my head scraping the ceiling and I'm 5'10".
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote