Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2016, 11:36 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Buy or let the twins fly?

Hello Skoolie Community!

I hope all is well. Without further delay, I introduce to you two skoolie conversion candidates I'm considering. These two twins have recently been relieved of duty this past June. The rust factor on both buses isn't what I'd consider severe; compared to my previous candidate. The only needed repair factor that exists, according to the selling company, would be an engine oil leak in the area of the crankshaft gasket on both buses. What does this mean for the life of the engine, repairs and associated repair costs of both buses? I figured one of you seasoned skoolies would be able to enlighten me.

Please find below an itemized breakdown of the provided bus specs and pricing; as detailed via the sales email I received. Of course your valued perspective on whether to "buy or let the both fly" would be appreciated. Also, If you favor one bus over the other, let me know; as I'm only in the market for one of these rolling twins. Photos are included for visual consideration; and I look forward to your feedback before following through with this mechanical acquisition. The details for both buses are as follows:

Bus# 1510**********************
Mileage: 112,807****************
Year: 2004**
Price: $2,750******************
Engine: Diesel-Cat**********
Needed Repair(s) Engine oil leak******************
Recent Updates & Repairs:
New speedometer 6/14,
New rear brake pads 3/15,
Transmission flush and filter 8/15***************

Bus #1512******
Mileage: 178,027****************
Year: 2004
Price: $2,250******************
Engine: Diesel-Cat**********
Needed Repair(s) Engine oil leak******************
Recent Updates & Repairs:
New alternator & batteries 11/14, Transmission flush and filter 8/14

Note: Photos are attached for your viewing; and I look forward to your feedback.

BUS 1 :

BUS 2:

-Mr. Neal

Mr. Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 01:31 AM   #2
Bus Nut

A leak around the crackshaft most probably means a new main seal is needed. The parts required for a CAT engine will be expensive. The entire job (not easy) may cost you more than you pay for the bus. Hopefully, someone with more experience with CAT main seals will offer advice.

1510 looks OK, otherwise.

Good luck!
BusFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 05:55 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Rustwise they both look much better than previous candidate. Which Cat engine.
Quote:
engine oil leak in the area of the crankshaft gasket
doesn't tell us much. If it really is a gasket, probably not a bad fix, same with front seal. If it's rear main, engine or transmission has to come out to fix. Many will say "Don't buy a Cat", I'm not one of them but, I do all of my own work.

Dick
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 11:41 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa View Post
Rustwise they both look much better than previous candidate. Which Cat engine. doesn't tell us much. If it really is a gasket, probably not a bad fix, same with front seal. If it's rear main, engine or transmission has to come out to fix. Many will say "Don't buy a Cat", I'm not one of them but, I do all of my own work.

Dick
Hello Somewhereinusa!

I hope all is well. Thank you for your reply. In regards to the engine type, I've posted the most recent email I recieved from the selling company below. Please provide me with your perspective as to whether the repair at hand can be taken care of at a decent cost; and relatively easy. The email I was sent is as follows:

"Both of the buses have hydraulic braking systems. As for the leak on each bus they are coming from the front half of the engine, possibly the front seal on the crankshaft. Our shop technicians do not disassemble the engines to repair them. Most of our work is done to exterior components and preventive maintenance etc. If we were to continue to use these buses we would have them repaired by Caterpillar. The engine is a CAT 3208. While the buses were in use they would use approximately 2 quarts a week with the mileage varying between 600-1000 miles."

Your thoughts?

-Mr. Neal
Mr. Neal is offline   Reply With Quote