Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2019, 12:19 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Coachwork: ICCORP
Chassis: CE300
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 16
CAN BUS (not vehicle) programming

Technical question here:

My Understanding of the CAN:
With the utilization of J1939 and the CAN bus, my understanding is that each device that plugs into the bus has a unique address/identifier. That way you don't need to run wires all over the place, and the BUS has a backbone of sorts that all of these devices plug into.

Background:
I have a 2006/2007 IC CE300. My cruise control module is installed in the right console - just out of comfortable reach.

The steering wheel has the flashers and door open/close buttons

Target:
I want to put new CC buttons on the steering wheel - I have seen other buses with the CC buttons there.

What I have done:
I ordered the new buttons and plugged them in - On the CC On/Off, I get door open/close and the other one sets the flashers off (although the lights are not connected, I had to unplug the alarm horn while the system reset itself).

So, either my understanding of the CAN bus is incorrect or the modules for the CC and flashers is not at the switch, but further down the wire harness, or it's a programming issue in the BCM/CAN bus.

So the question/statement here:
Help set my understanding straight. If it's a BCM programming issue, how is that accomplished (software recommendations, etc).

Old 10-11-2019, 10:10 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizote View Post
T
What I have done:
I ordered the new buttons and plugged them in.
Where did you plug them in? To the same harness your old ones were connected?

Are your new buttons the exact same as the old one?....Make,model, etc?
lqdchkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:27 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Plugged them into the steering wheel bus ports. There are two in the steering wheel. There is one in the console. The console had the CC controls, the steering wheel had the door and flasher controls.

I removed the door/flasher controls and installed new buttons in their place. Each set of buttons has electronics in them and from what I can tell, UIDs. They are not analog switches, rather digital switches.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:36 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizote View Post
Plugged them into the steering wheel bus ports. There are two in the steering wheel. There is one in the console. The console had the CC controls, the steering wheel had the door and flasher controls.

I removed the door/flasher controls and installed new buttons in their place. Each set of buttons has electronics in them and from what I can tell, UIDs. They are not analog switches, rather digital switches.
The buttons wouldnt be "intelligent" like youre thinking. Only the ECUs would be communicating on the CAN BUS to get and send data to each other. Connecting CC/Flasher buttons in "anywhere" would not make them work. Being that it sounds like you connected them to the proper locations is good as the inputs they provide and the circuits they provide it on are going to only make sense as inputs for the CC module.

However the circuitry you see on the buttons is likely the resistance controls. (resisters) OEMs use different resistances on the same circuit to provide different inputs to the control modules so that they have to run less wiring...ie 2 cruise control circuits (wires) and 5 buttons. Typically mean a signal and reference. The resistance returned on the signal in relation to the reference tells the control module what you want...increase speed, decrease speed, set speed, etc. So 5 functions can be accomplished with only 2 wires and not 5.

I'd check to see if the buttons you have added return the same resistance values as the originals. I'd bet they are not...thus the mixed up operations.
lqdchkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:39 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
there is CAN and there is multiplex.. typically a simple switch module on the dash is a MultiPlex style device .. essentially each button or combination of pressed buttons provides a different resistance.. the computer shoots out a 5 volt signal and what it sees as return voltage it knows which buttons were pressed..

in a vehicle like a bus where the steering wheel is the same as say on a Box truck, the ECM function for the button presses may need to be programmed, or it may be that the harnesses need plugged into a different spot on the ECM..

I dont know this IC bus specifically, however I added features to my Jeep wrangler in this manner.. installed the stalk for auto headlights (the sensor already existed for the climate control).. and then had to go into the StarScan and tell the BCM that the feature was available..

too bad you are in california. or I would just bring my programmer and check the ECM parameters..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:45 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Thanks - I can check the resistor values, but I don't think that's the issue. ECU devices transmit binary data, not analog resistance values as far as I understand.

https://www.csselectronics.com/scree...us/language/en

cadillackid - thank you, I was thinking I might need to plug into a different location, since the plugs are all the same, I might just need to trace the steering wheel plug and swap it with the dash/console plug.

It's gonna be a nice weekend and I'm planning on playing hookie from work today so...

BTW, for updates on my build - getting there - visit Pizote Adventures
Old 10-11-2019, 11:15 AM   #7
Bus Nut

I just talked with Silver State International in Sparks NV - a great shop - they are always helpful.

They said it's a combination of new switches and reprogramming the BCU and I am assuming the ACM (Aftertreatment Control Module). To do this, a J1939 adaptor and a license toe HeRo is required - and a bunch of training.

So I think I will end up taking it in to have it done. Would be nice to be able to do it myself, but I don't really have a need to reprogram the BCU beyond this (and perhaps remove the flasher/child left behind stuff).

Here's the link to HeRo
Old 10-11-2019, 01:40 PM   #8
Bus Geek

last I knew HR doesnt program anything it just gemerates the health report so that they(dealer) can make the parameter changes in the "cloud" and then NavKal pro downloads the changes foir your VIN and shoots them to the appropriate modules on your J1939.

I thought ServiceMaxx Pro Level 3 can also make thiose changes to the computer.. then again L3 is frowned upon by the "mother ship"
Old 10-11-2019, 01:51 PM   #9
Bus Nut

You are correct. I misspoke.
Old 10-11-2019, 06:17 PM   #10
Bus Geek

its all good... this is all a good learning experience for all.