Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2015, 09:46 PM   #1

Can I REMOVE this AC????

Hey all,
I bought a 2000 Ford E450 V8 and have a few questions. Can someone tell me if it would be safe to remove this carrier AC from the back. I didn't see a sticker saying not use it without the front AC on. Im thinking of removing it and putting in a root top AC unit instead of the rear AC. Would this be a good idea. Also can I remove this fan in the back? What is it for? Thanks in advanced
Attached Thumbnails
rsz_20150323_192253.jpg   rsz_20150323_192307.jpg   rsz_20150323_192224.jpg  

00E450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 11:50 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
since it is most likely plumbed into the engine driven compressor, you will have to have the system recovered (pumped down) before taking it out, the lines to the back unit will have to be sealed and the system refilled
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 07:49 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14
Sure. On mine, the rear AC was in series with the front (stock) AC. And there is a sticker saying the rear one must be on for the front to work. Look to see if there is more than one compressor under the hood. If one, yours is the same way.

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 01:35 AM   #4

Thanks for the advice. If i remove it would I have to worry about blow off? I didn't see a sticker on my dash so I'm not sure. Where would the compressors be? Sorry Im still new to this beast. If the front one comes on with out the back one would it be safe to say I could remove it with no problems?
00E450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 06:44 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Where are you located? I might want to help you remove it, and "dispose" it into my bus. I'm still pondering what I'll do for cooling..
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:15 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00E450 View Post
If i remove it would I have to worry about blow off?
Be sure not to stand to close, breathe, or get in your eye, ect the blast of mystified oil the will shoot 4 feet out of the line when you cut it.

It's not the stuff that used to kill the ozone anymore.

It is a light oil mixed with a propellent.

Not the most environmentally responsible way to go about it, but in my geographical region it still happens everyday at junkyards.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:00 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Not so bad for ozone but still a greenhouse gas. Around here it's still illegal to vent it - you're supposed to have it recovered. I'm not being the Internet Cop, just passing it along for reference. Don't do it in front of your neighbors.

Personally, if you CAN have it recovered, I would for a different reason. There's a really common dye used to find refrigerant leaks - it glows under a blacklight. I have a can of it right here and on the side of it, it says - I kid you not - "...misuse or deliberate inhalation may cause death without warning." Just saying, I'm not sure I'd stand next to an A/C and deliberately vent it without knowing what's inside... It's not like there's been a lot of human testing on their long-term health effects. It's a super long-chain complex hydrocarbon. Sangamon's Principle says "stay away."
taskswap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:27 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
I had a funny experience a few months ago. I had a tooth giving me some fits and went to see an endodontist for evaluation. One of the tests he did was sensitivity to extreme temperature -- cold, in particular. He held a cotton ball in a clamp and sprayed it with some aerosol, then touched it to the tooth. I heard a sizzle and felt it stick there a moment, the saliva on the tooth having frozen and bonded the cotton to it.

The odor of the spray was familiar and I asked the endodontist what it was. Tetrafluoroethane, he replied (I was impressed that he actually knew the name of the compound). You who have read the fine print while working on car A/C may recognize that as R134a!

I don't know about the toxicity of the UV dye component, but certainly when working with any refrigerant there are risks of frostbite and suffocation (the invisible refrigerant cloud can displace oxygen in an area near the vent site until it dissipates).

From time to time I've been able to find a shop that would recover the refrigerant out of a vehicle for me at no charge. Maybe it has some scrap/recycle value, or maybe they were just being nice.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote