Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2009, 10:26 AM   #81
Bus Nut

Re: Carrying firearms in an RV

have you ever had someone put a knife to your throat because "you took their parking spot" on a city street, in front of your own apartment?

paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:59 AM   #82
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 6.2 liter diesel
Rated Cap: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
I immediatly got a CCW permit & a nice model 66 S&W .357
My main carry gun is a snubby model 66 with a custom trigger, bobbed hammer, and laser grips. I've had it for many years and it is a part of me.

Love them 66's!

-Ray
Old 06-11-2009, 03:09 PM   #83
Bus Geek

i've been doing a bit of reading on the subject. Looks like in the state of michigan, if your rv (skoolie) is moving, or ready to be moved it is considered a vehicle. If you are parked and hooked up to utilities so your rv is not able to be driven away without first unhooking the electric, water, etc then it can be considered a residence.

michigan does recognize and have reciprocity for cpl's (concealed pistol license) from all 50 states.

michigan does allow open carry of firearms however, A firearm inside or on a vehicle is considered concealed. Local ordinances regarding carrying,transporting of firearms are not allowed. This means you can open carry a pistol in any city/town/village in the state. Carrying a pistol in a holster is not considered brandishing. Then there is a BIG loophole for people that have a cpl they can open carry a pistol almost anyplace, including bars, sporting arena's, churches, etc, even though they cannot carry concealed in these places.

to carry a firearm in a vehicle, it has to be unloaded and in a case, or in a trunk or otherwise not accessible to the occupants of the vehicle. unless you have a cpl.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:59 AM   #84
Bus Nut

Year: 1974
Coachwork: CARPENTER
Chassis: GMC-6000
Engine: 454 CHEVY
Rated Cap: 66

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal
I don't know who those guys are but I need to find out more about them.
Click on the YouTube link again, look in the upper right hand corner, there's a link to buy the CD (if that's what you meant), and the group is called Hogjaw. Great song!

Smitty

Yes it is

camo-monster

the BEAST, 350, 4 sm465, np205,
hd d44 4.56, eaton ff 4.56
CAMO-MONSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:11 PM   #85
Mini-Skoolie

I don't add much to this forum because my little bus adventure won't even begin for a year or so, but I feel compelled to add something here. This isn't about self defense or the need for self defense. This is about individual rights. I am a gun owner and would like to take some of my guns with me for the same reason I want my television or my radio or my motorcycle. I like to shoot and want them there so that I can enjoy my sport while on the road when I have the chance. I should not be told that this sport is not okay while traveling while the others are okay. The argument that guns can kill people doesn't even apply because I have an assortment of hobby equipment that could be used to kill...a hammer that I use to work on things, I could run someone over with my car or said bus, even some creativity could be employed to use the television or radio to bludgeon someone to death. Furthermore, don't begrudge someone who feels the need for a firearm in order to feel safe. People have different experiences and if you feel that locking the door is sufficient then that is great and many would love to feel that way, but again, different life experiences.
crazyidea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:31 PM   #86
Mini-Skoolie

Smitty,

I completely agree with you and feel the same way. I was just trying to get across the notion that firearms are also a hobby because that never gets mentioned in debates like these. Aside from the higher level need to protect our freedom there is a real injustice in the simple idea that firearm infringement would have on my ability to enjoy something I love. How would most here feel if the government stepped in and said that having a mobile residence interfered with the government's ability to conduct a census and was therefore illegal?
Old 06-20-2009, 12:22 AM   #87
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyidea
Smitty,

I completely agree with you and feel the same way. I was just trying to get across the notion that firearms are also a hobby because that never gets mentioned in debates like these. Aside from the higher level need to protect our freedom there is a real injustice in the simple idea that firearm infringement would have on my ability to enjoy something I love. How would most here feel if the government stepped in and said that having a mobile residence interfered with the government's ability to conduct a census and was therefore illegal?
Understood, and I agree 100% with all you said (I failed to mention that). However, the 2nd Amendment provides for protection 1st, food & sport are secondary to it's purpose.

Shhhhhh.....don't give Big Brother any ideas Seriously, it'll happen.....wait & see. We can't just have people traveling willey-nilley around the country now, can we.............

Thats not to mention the fact the Census is now using GPS to mark every doorstep in America.......yep. Wonder what that'll do when they come to breech a door, and it's no longer there???

Smitty

Yep, if it is enjoyable but not mainstream for city dwellers they will find a way to make it illegal at some point...even more so if they ever manage to totally get rid of the second amendment...they would be able to do whatever the hell they please.
Old 06-20-2009, 01:55 AM   #88
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH S1723
Engine: IH V345 Gas V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyidea
...even more so if they ever manage to totally get rid of the second amendment...they would be able to do whatever the hell they please.
This has already been done, along with the rest of the "God d..n'd" constitution (sixth paragraph => http://www.capitolhillblue.com/artman/p ... 7779.shtml). It is already in place, simply not completely being enforced...yet...http://epic.org/privacy/terrorism/usapatriot/ - and also - http://www.pbs.org/now/politics/patriot2-hi.pdf

The sheeple are sleepwalking to their slaughter.

Our founding fathers would be rolling in their graves.

(Keep bangin' that gong, Smitty! )
Old 06-20-2009, 02:06 PM   #89
Mini-Skoolie

"DC (District of Criminals)" That is classic and so true. I can't believe I've never heard of it before. Yes if they ever go that route directly then things will get real nasty over here real fast, but on the bright side that might be the only way to correct the shoddy course we are on. Perhaps you and I should vote for BO in the next go around to perpetuate the situation since voting against the democrats appears to do very little...I find very little distinction between the two major parties anymore.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:14 PM   #90
Bus Nut

Quote:
There is no difference, and until there is (more than 2 so-called parties), I refuse to vote.

Smitty
No worries those of us who care about our country will take up the slack.
Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 12:58 PM   #91
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
"if you don't vote....you can't bitch!!"......I disagree, George explains why

Smitty
This is really scary for me! I never thought I'd agree with you, Smitty, on anything political, but I don't vote (nor do I bitch) for the same reasons you and George laid out. . .
zamfir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 03:30 PM   #92
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
I don't "bitch" about specific politicians, I bitch about them ALL. If I have voted for McCain, and he was our current prez, I'd be bitching about him. How do I know that you ask? BECAUSE they're all on the same team, and the sooner you realize that, the sooner you'll see their agenda.Smitty
What he said. ^^
zamfir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 03:09 AM   #93
Bus Nut

Year: 1974
Coachwork: CARPENTER
Chassis: GMC-6000
Engine: 454 CHEVY

I'm with smitty are vote counts for s--t !!!!!!

CAMO-MONSTER

the BEAST, 350, 4 sm465, np205,
hd d44 4.56, eaton ff 4.56
CAMO-MONSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:20 PM   #94
Mini-Skoolie

I just realized this thread is titled "Carrying Firearms in an RV" so I don't know what everyone is worried about. Don't you guys all drive buses?
Old 06-22-2009, 11:21 PM   #95
Mini-Skoolie

I might also add that it doesn't really apply to me anyway. I lost all of my firearms in a tragic boating accident...it happens frequently from what I hear and is a tragedy.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:03 PM   #96
Mini-Skoolie

Ron Paul obviously got screwed. Looking back at the election cycle there is ample evidence that he was the most promising candidate in terms of what we need right now. He was also the only candidate that I felt was truly honest and could be trusted. Seeing the man get closed down by MSNBC and the rest really opened up my eyes to a lot of terrible possibilities. Now, things are even worse. Remember the great DHS idea to label Ron Paul supporters as potential terrorist...not to mention those who mentioned the constitution or are veterans. If people can't look beneath the surface of these acts and realize how wrong they actually are then what does it take?
Old 06-25-2009, 06:57 PM   #97
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77

Paul never had a chance...he wasn't my favorite candidate (that was Tom Tancredo), but a close second.

The only reason I still bother to vote is for bond issues & ballot questions...last year, EVERY local race (including US Senate) was unopposed.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 01:51 PM   #98
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapeer20m
michigan does recognize and have reciprocity for cpl's (concealed pistol license) from all 50 states.

michigan does allow open carry of firearms however, A firearm inside or on a vehicle is considered concealed. Local ordinances regarding carrying,transporting of firearms are not allowed. This means you can open carry a pistol in any city/town/village in the state. Carrying a pistol in a holster is not considered brandishing. Then there is a BIG loophole for people that have a cpl they can open carry a pistol almost anyplace, including bars, sporting arena's, churches, etc, even though they cannot carry concealed in these places.

to carry a pistol in a vehicle, it has to be unloaded and in a case, or in a trunk or otherwise not accessible to the occupants of the vehicle. unless you have a cpl.
Been doing a little more digging on the subject. Also applied for my CPL, although the nice lady at the clerks office said i might have to wait 3 to 4 months for it to be approved...

anyhow, a slight correction to my earlier quote. A firearm ON a vehicle is not necessarily illegal. The law states that you cannot transport a pistol IN a vehicle. Although commonly referred to as such, transporting a pistol in your vehicle is not necessarily considered concealed, it is simply unlawful transport unless you have a cpl. The law clearly states that you cannot carry a pistol "concealed or otherwise" in a vehicle.....This distinction is important because it seems that if you got charged with carrying a concealed weapon, when you in fact were carrying it in plain view you might be able to beat the charges.

The law MAY also allow you to open carry on your motorcycle without a cpl. There is no case law on this topic, but the law says that it is unlawful to transport a pistol IN a vehicle without a cpl.

It is perfectly legal for michigan citizens to openly carry a firearm in a holster any public place in the state of michigan without any liscense or permit. However, you do have to follow private property rules, or risk being charged with trespassing.

Michigan also has one other really awesome law that is about to change on jan 1. Any firearm that measures less than 30 inches in length is considered a pistol and should be registered as such. After jan 1, the rule is 26 inches, but any pistols that are currently registered as such will be grandfathered in. What does this mean? I can carry my new mossberg 500 under the authority of my cpl. She can be locked and loaded inside my skoolie, or any other vehicle and readily accessible.

I am going to buy a few more of these before the first of the year as i think their value will increase significantly since there will be very few shotguns legally registered as a pistol. IT is against state and federal laws to possess a shotgun that is under 26" in length.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:28 PM   #99
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 91
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: ford
Engine: ford 6.6L diesel turbo

Well my opion on all this gun talk is that its my right given by the men and women who have fought for our country, to carry a gun. I don't belive in having to have a permit to carry. My gun. I legally bought it. my right to carry it. There are #^$#%& 's in the world that don't care if you live or die. they don't care if they steal what you work hard for. They don't care if you don't want to be raped or if you don't want your children harmed. Being a firefighter and being around law enforcement most of my life, I have seen the harm people can do. I have also seen what happens when the tables or turned. I carry a weapon with me at ALL times, and I would not bat an eye to end the life of a person who wants to harm me or my family. " A dead bad man will never harm a live good man" As for law enforcement, I practice a no ask, don't tell rule. I HAVE been put into a position where I had to use my weapon. And no I was not in a "bad" place.
S#*T happens anywhere and anytime. And last, what good is a gun if you have to ask the bad man to wait while you load it. Just my opion.
firemanbud343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 01:24 PM   #100
Skoolie

Year: 1969
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 350 Chevrolet
Rated Cap: 65
Send a message via Yahoo to C00LR

Heres my 2 pennies on this gun thing.
I really dont care if someone has a firearm in their bus or not. Its none of MY business. And nobodys business if there is one in mine or not. However, I strongly discourage the "zombies" from attacking at MY campsite.
I do know that there are some crazy people in the world and choose to have potential protection. If the situation ever came up, I would like to have the potential to defend myself or my family instead of wishing I did.

"There are No Conflicts, Public or Private, That Cannot be Resolved with the Proper Application of High Explosives"

IYAAYAS
C00LR is offline   Reply With Quote