Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2011, 10:02 AM   #1

Cars...

Okay now I'm brand new here, I wanna get a bus to convert by the end of this year. Now Me and my friends wanna live full time in it for a good little while so I was wondering about vehicles... Is it safe or sane to hook a car to the back of the bus? Of course with the proper equipment I know its possible but is it gonna end up killing us? Any and all feed back is welcome.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:42 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Re: Cars...

think of how those big RV's have the "toad" car behind them. you dont see them going by in a firey ball of death do you?
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:20 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

We pulled my 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 4 down, 1700 miles from NC to NM. David said it was like it wasn't back there... even when it blew a front tire!!! You need to know a few things about towing a "toad"....

1. if towing 4 down, you can't back up!
2. if you tow using a dolly, you can back up a little but you will have to store the thing when you get to a campsite (ditto for using a trailer)
3. how you tow depends on the vehicle you have (if it's one you already own, look in the owners manual under towing... there should be emergency towing and recreational towing)
4. if you tow 4 down, you may need more than the tow bar and brackets... my Jeep required no extra stuff but my daughters Jeep Grand Cherokee needs some extra stuff (diff between a 4X4 Quadra trac and a 2WD)
5. get a tow bar that one person can hook up.... I have a stowmaster 5000 and it is wonderful. We just get the jeep close and the bar is adjustable to lining up with the ball on the back of the bus, Class C or Stacey's Jeep. Also watch your vehicle weight... you need a tow bar that will handle the gross weight. My Grand Cherokee is 500 lbs heavier than my daughters... both are Grand Cherokees and only 3 years apart.
6. get a rear monitor camera so you can see if you leave your toad at a traffic light (which is why you always check you connections before you hit the road after every stop... some folks think it's fun to try to disconnect the tow vehicles and others are trying to steal your toad.)

I bought my towing gear thru http://www.hitchtrader.com/ for far less (about half including shipping) than anyplace I could have bought new... it also took longer to get my brackets (looked for almost a year) which at sized by vehicle make/year than it did to find my tow bar (wanted to get stowmaster cheap enough). Click on the "buy" on the webpage to get to the for sale ads. Click on "towing" in the center of the page to info on towing products (they sell new) and to get more info on towing. since you know very little about towing, I would suggest you go to http://www.towingworld.com/articles.htm and read the articles there.

More towing info also has the "Towing guides" by year....
http://www.motorhomemagazine.com/Cat...Dinghy-Towing/
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:58 AM   #4

Thanks everyone! Of course when I asked my friends about it they looked at me like I was a moron... They already knew it was possible and risk free..