Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2009, 06:08 AM   #1
Ob1
Skoolie

Year: 1963
Coachwork: Grumman
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: Chevy 292 I-6
Re: Cash for Clunker Engine Disable

You have to love it! A little wealth redistribution program that benefits only the people in a bad economy that are prepared and able to sign loan papers. I am quite sure they are all the poo-er and downtrodden, and probably minorities too.

NOT! For a party that claims to have the best interests of the poo-er at heart, they seem to be quite busy throwing bones to the rich and upper middle class.
SS, DD.

In the meantime, the rest of us get to pay for it...someday. Invest in food staples, folks, inflation is coming.

Ob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:57 AM   #2

Year: 1994

i cant believe they destroy all of those cars!
Old 08-24-2009, 12:29 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

WTF??????????
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 06:25 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

The chemical they are using is sodium silicate, commonly found in products like Bar's Block Sealer. They drain the oil, refill with about 2 quarts of the stuff, and top it off with water.

I really dislike this program for the simple fact that it flies in the face of environmentalism. Sure, we are promoting some economic growth while reducing tailpipe emissions, but we are also eliminating a huge recycling program. Used car parts are big business and it just plain makes sense from both an environmental (producing parts causes emissions) and economical standpoint. In a few years I foresee many parts becoming difficult to find and expensive when you do thanks to this program.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:22 PM   #5
Ob1
Skoolie

Year: 1963
Coachwork: Grumman
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: Chevy 292 I-6

What SHOULD scare you is that the powers that be expect that car sales will continue to rise now that C4C is over...Obviously predictions made by static analysis instead of dynamic analysis.

Now exactly why would sales be boosted now that the program is over?

You can bet that almost every buyer in the C4C program, either delayed making a purchase earlier in the year to take advantage of the program, or bought a little sooner than planned to take advantage of the program.

Net effect: the program depressed car sales from the day that it was announced until the day it started. This is a fact, I know, I'm part of "the business" I fully expect sales to drop off for 3-4 months, until the normal supply and demand levels return.
Ob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:47 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_experience03
I really dislike this program for the simple fact that it flies in the face of environmentalism. Sure, we are promoting some economic growth while reducing tailpipe emissions, but we are also eliminating a huge recycling program. Used car parts are big business and it just plain makes sense from both an environmental (producing parts causes emissions) and economical standpoint. In a few years I foresee many parts becoming difficult to find and expensive when you do thanks to this program.
Yes, but you realize that by selling those used parts you are basically keeping other guzzlers on the road. Parting out all these cars does not "take them off the road" which is what this program is souposed to do...

Not that I'm in favor of this program at all, I think it's a huge waste of money AND you're now taking paid-for-cars and replacing them with cars with payments of at least $200-300/month... do you really think someone driving a 15 year old "clunker" should be buying a $20,000+ car? I own 2 "clunkers" but I'm not ready for a $20,000 car loan...

The small dealer I work at has taken in about 50 clunkers... I can't believe some of them, today I seen a 2000 Audi A6 Quattro V8... nice looking car.

Here's a few others from a few weeks ago...

Few more..

That expedition there in the middle donated a nice center console to my F150... I also have a few sets of floor matts, key fobs for my Taurus, wiper blades & a few other odds and ends.

My gas stealing scheme didn't work out so well, apparently newer cars have some anti siphon valve, so you can't siphon gas out of the tank.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:05 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Cut the hose under the tank and let it drain into a can... I sure could use the hood off that blue Grand Cherokee!!

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:48 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

I understand that keeping those parts around means those cars stay around...but the cars are going to stay around anyway. I'm not giving up my beater truck, C4C or not so I would benefit from those parts.

If you want the gas out of the tanks a rather clean method would be to disconnect the fuel line from the rail and command the fuel pump on with a scan tool.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:59 PM   #9
Bus Nut

yeah I just found a video that shows how to do it with a drill pump and a small hose... I bought one & tried a few weeks ago, but I was using to big of a hose to get past the valve. I might play around with this tomorrow.

Scan tool would be a pain in the ass since they're all different makes/models... and I don't have a scan tool...

Oh and I agree, it's a shame to see these engines go to waste, but like I said the point of the program is to take these cars off the road, and you're not really doing that if you're just stripping all the parts off it and putting them in an identical vehicle.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:44 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Hmm...the scan tool thing won't work if you don't have access to one. FWIW any decent scan tool with bi-directional communication can do it. An OTC Genisys will certainly do it for a mere
~$2000, albeit slowly (EVO System 3.0 is sloooowwwww).
Old 08-25-2009, 01:41 AM   #11
Bus Crazy

WTF????? well looking down there from up here,this is looking kind of crazy.Where is all this scrap metal going to be going?Up here? Down to Mexico?How about China?Is it staying in the US? Are all these people buying from the big 3 or elsewhere? What will they make out of these old/not so old cars? I guess im still mangled about that vette,I need a beer! okmaybe2
Old 08-25-2009, 02:23 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

WTF????? new cars are junk they dont build them like they used to maybe some are more fuel effecient,but in the long run this isnt good for the enviroment just look at the engine dissablement video alone.Cost is not less to the consumer,warranty maitenance is a total scam,im sure anyone can tell you that who has bought new.Unservicable components in these new cars are JUNK, SUCH AS BALL JOINTS,U JOINTS, AND MY FAVE,WHEEL BEARING/HUB COMBOS My 04 dodge just spit out a front wheel bearing/hub combo,retail this part was 460$,thats per side.Left me dead on the side of the road with 55thousand miles on it.Soon everyone will be driving new toxic plastic carbon cars,makin payments government motors and the bank makin money and these cars depreciate 50% in 4 years. So ill take my old beaters,leave my hemi for the wife and NEVER buy a new vehicle again.Whats next,tractors and boatshttp://[img]http://www.skoolie.net/a....jpg[/img]
Old 08-25-2009, 06:30 PM   #13
Almost There

Year: 1991
Coachwork: international
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillbus914
yeah I just found a video that shows how to do it with a drill pump and a small hose... I bought one & tried a few weeks ago, but I was using to big of a hose to get past the valve. I might play around with this tomorrow.

Scan tool would be a pain in the ass since they're all different makes/models... and I don't have a scan tool...

Oh and I agree, it's a shame to see these engines go to waste, but like I said the point of the program is to take these cars off the road, and you're not really doing that if you're just stripping all the parts off it and putting them in an identical vehicle.

I don't think Id' drill near a gas tank . I read where a theif got burned alive doing so just awhile back .
shortstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:40 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbuk
WTF????? new cars are junk they dont build them like they used to maybe some are more fuel effecient,but in the long run this isnt good for the enviroment just look at the engine dissablement video alone.Cost is not less to the consumer,warranty maitenance is a total scam,im sure anyone can tell you that who has bought new.Unservicable components in these new cars are JUNK, SUCH AS BALL JOINTS,U JOINTS, AND MY FAVE,WHEEL BEARING/HUB COMBOS My 04 dodge just spit out a front wheel bearing/hub combo,retail this part was 460$,thats per side.Left me dead on the side of the road with 55thousand miles on it.Soon everyone will be driving new toxic plastic carbon cars,makin payments government motors and the bank makin money and these cars depreciate 50% in 4 years. So ill take my old beaters,leave my hemi for the wife and NEVER buy a new vehicle again.Whats next,tractors and boatshttp://[img]http://www.skoolie.net/a....jpg[/img]
From a technician's standpoint I've gotta tell you that I LIKE having the assemblies to some extent. I can replace a hub assembly on a car in less than 30 minutes with air and a hoist. I can't even get a pair of tapered roller bearings clean in that amount of time. At the same time, the cars the require that you replace an entire control arm instead of just a balljoint piss me off just a little because it ends up being a control arm/engine/transmission mount. I'm sure someone that is paid way more than you or me has determined that the non-serviceable components are cost saving in the long run. Of course Moog also makes things like control arms with replaceable balljoints to replace the non-serviceable units.