Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2014, 07:50 AM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
CDL's & BMI

I work with a woman who drives a school bus. Saturday she was telling me that she was told she had two years to get her BMI down to 30 or she would lose her job. She said they told her it was a new requirement for having a CDL. Doing a search for "BMI for CDL" turned up several websites. Here's just a few...

http://dotfleets.wordpress.com/2010/01/ ... ass-index/
http://www.layover.com/features/feature ... 1908.html/
http://askthetrucker.com/truckers-to-sh ... -ship-out/

I do not know if this will impact the CDL's that many here have, but you may want to either look into it or reconsider a CDL. Personally, it does not impact us as we do not have a CDL nor do we want one. But if you have a CDL or are considering one, you may want to find out a bit more.

https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 04:19 PM   #2

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Re: CDL's & BMI

The truck stops will be empty.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 04:30 PM   #3

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

The same rules should apply to the White House. Sorry Hillary and Christie, no Air Force One for you.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 05:47 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal
The same rules should apply to the White House. Sorry Hillary and Christie, no Air Force One for you.
Especially Christie. We wanted Tony Soprano in 09, what we got was Fat Tony from the Simpsons without the likable personality.

And all those photo ops of him and the President after Hurricane Sandy? Just that-photo ops.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:23 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14

The 1st one is from 2010.
The 2nd is from 2012.
Thw last one is from 2009.
Has this happened already-or MAY happen in the future?

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:04 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwarf36
The 1st one is from 2010.
The 2nd is from 2012.
Thw last one is from 2009.
Has this happened already-or MAY happen in the future?

I think it's a done deal. I just put the info out there. We don't have CDLs. Those that do might want to find out. The woman who told me this had been a bus driver for a long time and this is the first she heard of it. I'm guessing this is news to others. Apparently there are some on this forum who think that if you are overweight that you have no business driving. So those of you who are over weight should just give up their licenses. I just wonder if a driver gets pulled over and the cop thinks they are too heavy, if they get ticketed?
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:24 PM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 1977
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: C/60
Engine: 350 V8
Rated Cap: 54

Yup, meeting BMI requirements are now a part of maintaining your CDL. More specifically, it's a part of the DOT physical to get/keep your health card. There are plenty of people out there that are required to have a health card that don't have a CDL.

Where I work we are all required to have Class A's w/HazMat's. I work for a dairy supply company. I deliver everything from paper towels to 3000# totes of formaldhyde. Certainly a job where one needs to be fit and able to react quickly both physically and mentally.

Our service techs drive 1ton sprinter vans and frequently pull trailers of various sizes and weights. If it's got that pretty 3" square DOT sticker in the windshield, a CDL of sorts is required. Since they all pull trailers behind their vehicles they need Class A's. A few of our techs had their DOT physicals last week after the new rules finally went into place and failed the BMI part. All three were told once they took a few more tests they could pass without losing the weight. For all the first was passing a sleep apnea test. Non of these guys are fat and flabby, they are short and very well built. Overweight for their height.

"Managenemt" is still uncertin what to do with these results as a license is necessary for the job that they had no issues preforming before these new guidelines went into place.

It does make me sick to watch some of these over the road truckers barely able to work around their rigs. Instead of judging by your BMI I'd love to see it include a physical test of sorts. Climb up and strap a load down, change a tire whilst still mounted on the rig, climb up and replace the engine air filter, add coolant without using a ladder, etc. etc.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:29 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

There are lots of new rules this year. My regular doc won't even do the exam one more time for old time's sake before the rest of them all kick in.

First, the deadline is past when you have to send the issuing State a copy of your medical certificate. If you didn't, or don't send the renewal, the State computer sends you a downgraded kiddy kar license.

I have to bring the new doc a letter from my pulmonary doc and a machine print-out to show I always use my CPAP to prevent apnea. I have to bring a letter from my regular doc showing that my sugar is ok without insulin shots. And I have to set up an appointment with an eye doc to prove my retina is not made out of cheez puffs or something like that. The terminology on the rare retina condition was new to me, and it was not simply detached retinas.

All the trucking companies around here are on the radio looking for drivers like never before. Maybe they are losing the ones with average health insurance to failed medical exams.

HMmmmm . . . .
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote