Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2016, 06:49 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Clear, red, or blue?

Ok, I looked in Alternative Fuels section first...

I have 2 fuel tanks with separate gauges, one for primary Diesel engine, one for secondary engine.

I read a 1994 article from New York Times discussing different dyed fuels...
Quote:
Blue diesel, which is higher in sulfur and tax exempt, is for use in commercial boats, trains or some farm equipment; it is the least expensive. Falling in between is red diesel, which is lower in sulfur than blue, tax free and meant for buses, government vehicles and off-road use.
I don't know what information they were quoting, and I know the difference between OTR and farm diesel... Taxes

That being said... I'm really considering installing a solenoid switched T-valve and running primary engine from whichever tank I want.

Anybody got any feedback? Positive or negative, I don't care. Just looking for previous experiences mostly.
You don't have to commit to which fuel you buy/burn... As you'll notice, I didn't commit to anything either... I spoke true Clintonese

Old 09-23-2016, 08:41 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
It you are talking about using farm fuel (red) on the highway, don't do it, the fines get very expensive. I think can be $10,000.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 09:09 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Agreed. Some states ask you to turn in users of non taxed fuel.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 04:44 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3l Cummins
Rated Cap: 78
Keep your non taxed fuel system separated from anything that is connected to a power train that uses public roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmania View Post
Ok, I looked in Alternative Fuels section first...

I have 2 fuel tanks with separate gauges, one for primary Diesel engine, one for secondary engine.

I read a 1994 article from New York Times discussing different dyed fuels...

I don't know what information they were quoting, and I know the difference between OTR and farm diesel... Taxes

That being said... I'm really considering installing a solenoid switched T-valve and running primary engine from whichever tank I want.

Anybody got any feedback? Positive or negative, I don't care. Just looking for previous experiences mostly.
You don't have to commit to which fuel you buy/burn... As you'll notice, I didn't commit to anything either... I spoke true Clintonese
aaronsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 04:47 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I didnt even realize you could have taxed and untaxed fuel on-board the vehicle.. even if its 2 engines and separate systems...

years ago dad used to keep untaxed kerosene in a tank on the scout for filling our kerosene heaters at home... but because the scout was a diesel and kerosen was "close enough to diesel fuel and would run in the scout".. the tank couldnt be permanently attached.. it was just easier as we could just fill the tank and not have to have messy cans inside the truck...
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:44 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I have been driving diesel rigs for 30 years and saw my first enforcement action about two years ago. I was driving my Dodge pickup and was pulled over by Washington State Patrol.

The trooper approached my rig with the sampling gizmo right off. No question why he pulled me over. He sampled my tank and sent me on my way.

After that happened I became curious and started reading up on the subject. As best I understand it, less than one ounce of red fuel can be detected in a 35 gallon tank of road fuel. It would appear that cross contamination between red and road tanks would be hard to avoid.

As mentioned in an earlier post, penalties for running un-taxed fuel are severe.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 12:41 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
I've heard that even if you have some red transmission fluid (such as Dexron) mixed with your diesel to help clean things out a bit, it can show as a false positive during red-diesel checks, and you will still be liable for the DOT fines until your sample is tested in a lab. In other words, don't even think about putting anything except regular taxed diesel in your tank! Only if you have a completely separate tank and fuel system for a generator or Webasto heater, then you could use red without worries.

For the relatively low mileages that most of us converted-bus owners drive, the cost of the tax on the diesel we use each year is not much in the big scheme of things. Heck, almost anything for a bus conversion costs more than a year's worth of diesel tax!

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote