Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-11-2018, 07:31 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 23
Concerns regarding humidity

Im trying to draw/write out and think about everything before i go at it. One of my more recent thoughts was the fact that florida is hot and humid. I imagine the tepmerature when i get into my car, this summer the CD cases in my car literally warped from the heat. So it could probibly get that way in a skoolie yes? I have plans for solar panals on top and about 8 batteries to hold a charge for night time and also having the option to plug in if available but is there somthing i could add that would keep it not blazing hot and humid when im not in, vent fans or a small low powered ac? Has anyone done this or enountered this problem?

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
Rudy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 07:57 PM   #2
Bus Nut
 
Jdawgsfanasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy21 View Post
Im trying to draw/write out and think about everything before i go at it. One of my more recent thoughts was the fact that florida is hot and humid. I imagine the tepmerature when i get into my car, this summer the CD cases in my car literally warped from the heat. So it could probibly get that way in a skoolie yes? I have plans for solar panals on top and about 8 batteries to hold a charge for night time and also having the option to plug in if available but is there somthing i could add that would keep it not blazing hot and humid when im not in, vent fans or a small low powered ac? Has anyone done this or enountered this problem?

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
Ice?

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 08:00 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgsfanasty View Post
Ice?

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Nope

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
Rudy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 08:04 PM   #4
Bus Nut
 
Jdawgsfanasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy21 View Post
Nope

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
Idk...Montana b/t may and Sept?

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 08:33 PM   #5
Bus Geek
 
Robin97396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Willamina, Oregon
Posts: 6,409
Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
There are times when my bus gets hotter than I can stand way up North here in Oregon. These are a metal box, and you know how hot a metal box can get in the summertime.

Discussions have been about using a raised skin, like on a landrover roof, to deflect heat. Shades, like the RVs have, or awnings they're called. That still won't do anything about that massive humidity. Wrong state for comfortable temps in the summertime. You won't like AZ either in the summer.
__________________
Robin
Nobody's Business
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:06 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
There are times when my bus gets hotter than I can stand way up North here in Oregon. These are a metal box, and you know how hot a metal box can get in the summertime.

Discussions have been about using a raised skin, like on a landrover roof, to deflect heat. Shades, like the RVs have, or awnings they're called. That still won't do anything about that massive humidity. Wrong state for comfortable temps in the summertime. You won't like AZ either in the summer.
Yeah florida isnt the most ideal place to be trying to live in a skoolie haha. Thanks for the input tho

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
Rudy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:27 PM   #7
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 7,522
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Have you considered pulling your ceiling panels and filling that 2" cavity with insulation?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:30 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Have you considered pulling your ceiling panels and filling that 2" cavity with insulation?
I really didnt want to have to mess with the cealing if i dont have to, not so much because i dont want to but from a budget aspect, i was thinking about coating the top of the bus with a thick rubber sealant (forget what its called) ive heard that helps a lot

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
Rudy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:38 PM   #9
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 2,627
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy21 View Post
I really didnt want to have to mess with the cealing if i dont have to, not so much because i dont want to but from a budget aspect, i was thinking about coating the top of the bus with a thick rubber sealant (forget what its called) ive heard that helps a lot

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
There isn't a cheap and easy way to do this if you want to even begin to stay warm in winter and cool in summer.

Bottom line is that either you do it right, or simply accept that it won't ever be the way you want it.

You can get the roof decently insulated and break the thermal bridges for a few hundred dollars (and a lot of work). In the context of a bus conversion, it's not one of the big ticket items.
__________________
Steve Bracken

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:46 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
There isn't a cheap and easy way to do this if you want to even begin to stay warm in winter and cool in summer.

Bottom line is that either you do it right, or simply accept that it won't ever be the way you want it.

You can get the roof decently insulated and break the thermal bridges for a few hundred dollars (and a lot of work). In the context of a bus conversion, it's not one of the big ticket items.
Your right this definetly wont be cheap in any aspect but i still want to try to be cost consious. I probibly should just insulate it

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
Rudy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.