Old 09-04-2019, 07:14 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: G30 Bluebird Microbird
Engine: 1995 Chevrolet 350
Converting a shuttle bus into a tool van and workspace.

I sold my old cargo trailers so now am needing something before the rains begin. My neighbor says he will sell me the 1992 Ford E350 church bus sitting in his yard. It drives, the transmission slipped a bit at first then seemed to work fine. He says it sat 4 months but Iím guessing with 2017 tags and dirt layer it might have sat 2 years.
The engine goes like crazy. Definitely sounds like a 460 but the exhaust leaks have that deep Ford sound. The leaks are on the pipe not the manifold.
The odometer is broken but Iím pretty good at telling if a vehicle is high miles. Iím guesstimating itís under 150K, perhaps less.
There is some rust on the frame but nothing serious. Iíve had much worse. But it might have come originally from salt regions. Or from the coast.
Iím running out of time to do major work this year so Iím considering simply cutting the seat backs off then laying boards down on the seats. Then I can stack my boxes of tools and materials for the Winter. The rust would make unbolting all the seats a fairly big job Iíd rather leave until next year. Also the seats are much easier to stack and dispose of when cut into flat sections.
Is $750 for gasser shuttle bus a good price?? Iím about to walk over there and seal the deal. I prefer school buses as they get maintenance. Churchís often neglect vehicles. The Mexican owner and church goer says it is all original.
Doktari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:20 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: G30 Bluebird Microbird
Engine: 1995 Chevrolet 350
I will add that the brakes stuck a little after the test drive. But it rolls freely after I stopped to park it. Sticking brakes are a good sign of a vehicle that has sat. I made the mistake of testing the parking brake which might be what is sticking. Maybe just tapping on it with a hammer and some penetrating oil on the parking brake adjuster?
Doktari is offline   Reply With Quote