Old 10-12-2005, 06:26 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: ThomasBuilt
Chassis: International Harvester S-1700
Engine: 9L IHC V-8 Diesel 180HP
Rated Cap: 60
Actually, I'm wondering what to do with the glycerine and free fatty acid by products. I understand that the FFAs can be used as a strong degreaser, so maybe the donor restaurant would be interested in it. The glycerine can be distilled to get a substantial portion of the methanol back, which further purifies the glycerine (of methanol). I have no idea what to do with raw glycerine. Make a ton of soap? I don't bathe that frequently!

The glycerine and FFA byproducts should rougly equal the volume of methanol added to the WVO for cracking, or about 20-25% of the initial volume. If you're cracking 25 gallons a week, you're looking at about 6 GALLONS a week of stuff you have to get rid, and somehow I don't think either a landlord or the sanitation department would cotton to having 6 gallons of soapy chemical byproducts dumped into the sewers every week. The glycerine, could probably be held until there was enough to sell it to a commercial renderer, but where you gonna store a couple of hundred gallons of glycerine?

I can see it now....

Neighbor: "Whatcha got in tha barrels?"

Me: "Glycerine that I get from cracking WVO."

Neighbor (to cops): "This crazy dude who lives in a bus is making crack and nytroglycerine...."

Ay, Chihuahua! I do not like the idea of having tear gas fired into my bus while I am asleep at night!
Eric von Kleist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 09:52 PM   #12
Bus Nut

On one of the Yahoo groups about building waste oil heaters somebody built one that burns glycerine. I think the group is called "wastewatts" Others were just burning it in a barrel to get rid of it.
busone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 05:55 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH S1723
Engine: IH V345 Gas V8
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
The glycerine, could probably be held until there was enough to sell it to a commercial renderer, but where you gonna store a couple of hundred gallons of glycerine?
Quote:
Others were just burning it in a barrel to get rid of it.
Perhaps Lapeer could use it for his "Burning Man Bus Flame Thrower" (does that sound like something from a Frank Zappa song, or what) attachment of his jacuzzi?

Quote:
I can see it now....

Neighbor: "Whatcha got in tha barrels?"

Me: "Glycerine that I get from cracking WVO."

Neighbor (to cops): "This crazy dude who lives in a bus is making crack and nytroglycerine...."

Ay, Chihuahua! I do not like the idea of having tear gas fired into my bus while I am asleep at night!
Like I said. . . there goes the neighborhood. . .
Old 10-13-2005, 08:15 PM   #14

http://www.biodieselsolutions.com/pr...uelmeister.asp

this would help you guys out look it over you can make fuel at about 70c a gallon. and there is a chemical you can get for it so it doesnt gel works like staybil for gas.

i plan to use this setup once i get the bus. i first saw this on trucks tnn the best part is you can put this stuff in your stock fuel tank it mixes.
Bigwink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 10:44 PM   #15
Bus Geek

biodiesel just seems too labor intensive for my taste. I said somewhere before that it would be much more practicle for a diesel VW that gets 50 mpg. With a bus that gets 7 or 8 miles to the gallon, you'd spend all week just trying to create enough fuel for the weekend.

By the time you invest you time and money into making special tanks and getting the entire operation rolling smoothly, you could have easily installed a 2nd heated tank into your skoolie and be burning wvo without having to go through all the hassle of creating bio-diesel buying the associated chemicals, and finding a place for the waste products......

just my opinion.....

Summer of 2004 I was burning on average 50 gallons of wvo a week in my skoolie. After a short period of R&D, the entire process was realitively painless. With my new setup, I can pump veggie oil at a faster rate than i can get diesel fuel from a large over-the-road nozzle. (of coarse i do have the extra time involved in setting up the pump) I can easily pump several gallons per minute.

Wintertime is a different story however......
Old 10-15-2005, 12:19 AM   #16
Bus Nut

I agree with Lapeer about biodiesle. If I had a diesel car or even pickup it would be worth it to me. I want to get a big tank when I get a bus. Then I can really cut travel expense. I would rather build a tank heater than a whole bio processor for that much fuel.
busone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 10:08 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Quote:
On one of the Yahoo groups about building waste oil heaters somebody built one that burns glycerine. I think the group is called "wastewatts" Others were just burning it in a barrel to get rid of it.
Hmmmm.... I could heat the bus with glycerine...

Quote:
biodiesel just seems too labor intensive for my taste. I said somewhere before that it would be much more practicle for a diesel VW that gets 50 mpg. With a bus that gets 7 or 8 miles to the gallon, you'd spend all week just trying to create enough fuel for the weekend.

By the time you invest you time and money into making special tanks and getting the entire operation rolling smoothly, you could have easily installed a 2nd heated tank into your skoolie and be burning wvo without having to go through all the hassle of creating bio-diesel buying the associated chemicals, and finding a place for the waste products......
Good point. I'm planning on starting with the WVO conversion...soon, in fact! I was looking at used tanks on salvage equipment at a heavy equipment yard. I found a 50 gallon rated capacity tank (58 gallon nominal) for $75 bucks.

Lapeer, I'm going to go back over the info you have posted on your conversions. Is it okay if I e-mail you through the website with questions when (not if) I get stumped?
Old 10-15-2005, 11:11 PM   #18
Bus Geek

absolutely you can e-mail me with questions.

i'm no expert when it comes to veggie, but i've converted 2 buses and my mercedes benz all with homemade kits, so i have a good idea when it comes to the basics.
Old 10-16-2005, 05:34 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Quote:
i'm no expert when it comes to veggie, but i've converted 2 buses and my mercedes benz all with homemade kits, so i have a good idea when it comes to the basics.
That sounds like an expert to me!