Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2011, 10:31 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Crown Bus RV

My son took this one day this week, - 06/23/2011 - while driving on I-5 between Tacoma and Seattle.
I have been talking about a skoolie conversion to him and he caught this one on the highway and snapped the picture.
Good looking bus but no paint job yet, but the school bus sign is painted over and it looks like it's loaded down inside.........
Anyone here at skoolie.com???

Old 06-25-2011, 10:06 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Re: Crown Bus RV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John
NOOOOOOOOO!!!
Oh, the horror!
Please, no more of this.

IT'S A GILLIG . . .... Truly, a Crown is a feast for the eyes. A Gillig is a bus, but a Crown is rolling perfection, a small slice of heaven on earth, a foretaste of all the delights awaiting us when we are among the angels...
John, take a deep breath. Besides a Flxible is pettier!
[img]http://api.ning.com/files/XkX5ivckBGsFcBex18SCKR7N*bMlSBBdsqQNbIwvzFy063-g839GOKioH0rV16MKvkgHtPtjv1CZXUI4ReYlN6GIAj9QmXuq/Flxible1.jpg[/img]

http://www.google.com/search?q=Flxib...w=1024&bih=598 Flxible Pics
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:55 AM   #3
Bus Nut

OOPs!!!!!!
MY BAD !!!!So it"s a GILLIG ???? Sorry, really did not mean to offend anyone ...... ie ... Crown Owners
I will try to learn all the "asses" on the buses so I won't make that mistake again......
I thought Gillig only made Chassis..... See.......... learn something everyday.

Thanks for the update and trying to keep me straight...
Old 06-26-2011, 09:30 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John
NOOOOOOOOO!!!
Oh, the horror!
Please, no more of this.

IT'S A GILLIG . . .

If Crowns are from Venus, Gilligs are from Mars (or maybe from beyond this solar system altogether). Just look at its rump - this pale imitator, this usurper to all that is mighty and great, this blatant charlatan masquarading as something it will never understand, it has a posterior like a two-bit floozie. Compare it to the oh-so-smoooooth sensual curves and deliciously-alluring Rubenesque derriere proudly displayed by Crowns. Also see this conveyance's straight sides, with nary a curve to break the line - compare this to a Crown's subtly-curved flanks, with a delicate tumble-home at the bottom and an almost imperceptable taper in above the beltline. Truly, a Crown is a feast for the eyes. A Gillig is a bus, but a Crown is rolling perfection, a small slice of heaven on earth, a foretaste of all the delights awaiting us when we are among the angels.

OK guys, have I made myself clear here?

John (with tongue firmly in cheek)
This actually points out one reason I would NEVER convert a Crown! I WANT vertical walls, not "subtly curved" walls!

And, of course, the fact that no Crown (or Gillig, for that matter) was ever built with the best medium-duty diesel around: the International DT466!
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 03:52 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth

Well, I like being well rounded
I guess its just a matter of what a person likes.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:59 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77

Quote:
FYI, Gilligs and Crowns were always built with true heavy-duty driveline components, such as the big 2-stroke Detroits
Err...a Detroit 6-71 (as used in many Crowns, including the 10-wheel Super Coaches) is only 426ci--not that big! A 6V92 is 552, an 8V71 is 558. A 3208 Cat is larger than any of those (635ci)...but I'll take any of those Detroits (or a 5.9 Cummins, or a DT466) over a 3208! The DT466 (and its big brothers, the DT530 and DT570) are used in 10-wheelers, semi tractors, and even tri-axle dump trucks. Intro'd in the 70's (earlier as a tractor engine), still in production today as the Maxx-Force DT (466) and Maxx-Force 9 (570). The DT-series is the best medium-duty diesel ever built...and definitely in the running for best truck diesel ever built, period. Ever Detroit Diesel agrees! They sell a DT466 painted green as the "Detroit Diesel Series 40". (For the record, the only thing Detroit Diesel about it is the paint!)

The MT643 in my Genesis is the same unit in the trash truck (GVWR: 58,000) my brother drives, and it's underloaded even there. (The 643 is rated for 72,000lb.) Of course, so is the engine....and the steering, the brakes, pretty much everything except the tandem rear axle & the front tires. (That truck has 12R22.5 front tires, I have 11R22.5's all around.) In fact, that's one reason I went with the Genesis: it uses International truck running gear.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:29 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth

Quote:
*MUTTERS SOMETHING ABOUT HOW PEOPLE WITH BUSSES THINK ONES CUBIC INCHES ARE BETTER THAN THE OTHERS ALL IN CAPS LOCK!*
lol...If it goes down the road at 60mph and gets 10mpg, I am a happy camper
Old 02-11-2020, 08:34 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Hi everyone. I have a 1974 Crown 35' conversion. Well I was looking at the rubber bushings each end of the leaf springs. They are looking a bit worn and cracked. Anyone had work like this done on their bus? Just wondering how much it is likely to cost at a shop to have them all replaced? It looks like a big job! Thank you.
Alsbus is offline   Reply With Quote