Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2006, 11:58 PM   #1
Skoolie

Cummins : Truck engine upgrades on a Bus?

I'm not that familiar with Cummins engines in general. Are they the same ones that are used in the trucks and buses? If so, has anyone every run truck performance mods on their bus. I'm thinking of things like chips and such.

davido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 07:35 AM   #2
Bus Geek

chips only work if you havea newer computer controlled engine. Most of us have mechanically injected diesels, or older gassers.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:44 AM   #3
Almost There

I have (and just sold) a 1990 Bluebird with the 5.9 cummins. The performance mods you can do to the 12 valve motors you can do to these (big air filter, fuel plate slide, starwheel, etc) as long as you have an older 12 valve motor (on the Dodges thats pre 1999...not sure on the buses). If your bus is the 12 valve you've got a great platform for cheap power. They are CHEAP to get power from (BIIIG air filter is $40 and adds a bunch of power, fuel plate is very cheap, star wheel adjustment is free, injectors are very cheap, etc).

I recently asked this question on a cummins forum. Here is the link to what I asked:
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/sh...light=bluebird

These guys are great and easy to ask questions to. Their cummins database is one of the best sources I've found for good info, diagrams, cheap power, etc.

(Sorry if that isnt allowed...feel free to remove it and I will PM directly if it isnt)
Castro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 07:48 AM   #4
Bus Geek

on my other post about more power from your diesel engine i described in detail and provided a few links on how to turn up the power on your cummings/DT series IH/ford brazialian motors.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:34 AM   #5
Skoolie

That's a great thread. Answered a few other questions I had in my back pocket. From your experience selling yours, is that one on eBay a good deal? How would you rate it 1 (rip off) - 7 (practically free)?
Old 09-21-2006, 11:35 AM   #6
Almost There

I cant see any eBay auctions at work

What is it?

I got a great deal on it from Greg Archambault to use it to replace my last one (DT360 International). But...I just bought a house, so I sold it privately to a guy who runs a paintball field who will use it as a shuttle. If you want his info I can get you in contact with him. Honest fellow...no worries there. Plus he will deliver. Mine was kinda rusty but nothing unrepairable. The motor was wonderful. I hate to see it go

I sold my last bus on eBay. I got more than what I paid for it but less than what I had in it. The problem with eBaying buses is that there are so many things that they can hide and let you find out on your own. I was honest in my auction and the guy was still a bit disappointed with the rust (it was worse than the TC2000 I have now). I would think twice before buying without inspecting and would definately get close-ups of all questionable areas.
Castro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 01:38 PM   #7
Skoolie

Good advice.

On the eBay thing, I wasn't even paying attention. I had an alternate thread going and got them confused. This is the bus link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0027924812

It was a 1994 Ford B700 School Bus Cummins Diesel Allison that went for just over $2400. Here's the rest of the info:

Here is a 1994 Ford B700 72 passenger School Bus with 167,000 miles, 5.9 Turbo intercooled, 190 hp Cummins diesel,with block heater, 545 Allison automatic transmission, hyd. brakes, disc front and rear drum. 30,000 gvw with a 10,000 front axle, and a 20,000 pound rear axle, the tires are 11R x 22.5 ALSO has tow hooks front and rear. , also has a clear title.

This bus Runs and drives well
I'm selling this bus because I bought two buses mainly for the engine and axles and decided this bus was too nice to part out, I used one of the buses parts for personal use so I'm listing the other bus here on ebay.
Body and frame are clean with a solid floor, .
please look at the pictures and see how clean this unit is.
Sold as is, no warranties.
please e-mail me with any questions,I will relay the question to my friend, so it may take a litle longer for your email answer back to you.

Let me know what you think.
http://www.skoolie.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10734