Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2017, 07:06 AM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Curcumin--Waaaaay off bus topic.

I have a lot of joint pain in my wrist, not carpal tunnel,probably arthritis. It's getting to the point that some days my right hand is almost useless. It was suggested on another website that Curcumin might be helpful. Just curious if any here use it, does it help, what brand and where you get it? As with any search on the web I get thousands of hits with everyone saying theirs is the best.

Thanks,
Dick

somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 08:04 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Comfrey salve works for me.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 10:19 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
I use curcumin or turmeric interchangeably. You can take it as a supplement in a capsule, but since it is a spice I like to try to incorporate it into food. My favorite way to use this is in bread. I prefer buying the actual turmeric spice in bulk, and I use about a teaspoon per day.

This spice makes a reduction in pain levels you can feel within a few days. If you forget to take it you'll notice pain levels return within a few days.

I'm not aware of any negative effects. I don't think this spice tastes very good but I can overlook that based on the results. I take it for spinal arthritic pain.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:33 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
I have to agree with Robin on the benefits of turmeric. I use it daily also and just sprinkle a bit of it on top of my meal. You do notice the difference if you don't happen to take it regularly.

I also wear a copper bracelet most of the time. When I was an apprentice I used to get a lot of wrist pain while making joints on wires twisting them up with my pliers. A co-worker suggested I take a piece of #10 bare copper wire and make a bracelet. I did that and after 5 minutes felt no pain whatsoever. To this day I swear by it as it will help other areas of the body too in easing the pains of arthritis etc.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:54 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Versatile; Do you make your own comphrey salve? I know it's supposed to be great as a poultice. I don't know how to make either of those.

I chose herbs over prescription medications and I feel much better now. I began by using Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), ordering it online from a clinic in Guillin China, which works quite well. They send you tea packets that are the most awful tasting tea you'll ever drink. You only have to take them for a few weeks to get 3-5 years of relief, then you take them again like a booster.

Eventually I began looking up herbs that grow in my own yard. Dandelion tea is very healthful. The point is there's lots of free herbs out there and they don't have to come from China. It takes a bit of experimentation to find out what works best for you.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:14 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Don't know anything about Curcumin but have you tried glucosamine? It definitely helps me getting old black lab. Good for the joints.
Old 05-30-2017, 05:18 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolff View Post
Don't know anything about Curcumin but have you tried glucosamine? It definitely helps me getting old black lab. Good for the joints.
Glucosamine worked great for the old dog. Doesn't do anything for me. Tried a number of brands.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 05:22 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Have you tried accupuncture? Its totally a placebo, but placebo's are just as powerful as actual medications in blind tests.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 09:48 AM   #9
Bus Geek

I highly recommend placebos. Especially if they're made of sugar. Good for everything.
Old 05-30-2017, 03:29 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Bummer. Yeah, the human does is like 5 capsules. Not too much fun to get down either.
Old 05-30-2017, 04:11 PM   #11
Bus Geek

You're right, swallowing capsules is awkward at best. Most people believe incorporating it into your food gives the best results. Some say mixing the powder with honey causes it to be absorbed faster, but that's got to be some gnarly tasting honey.

In capsule form it is often sold with a black pepper extract that is supposed to make the curcumin as much as 2000 times more absorbable. Studies also show that capsules often have half or less of the active ingredients claimed. I bought some 4 star curcumin capsules but have gone back to using straight turmeric powder that I can get in the bulk spice section.

If any of you remember eating food prepared by old people and it tasted like a closet smells, that was turmeric. It's not a very good flavor but is often used in potato salad or more frequently in soups. I use turmeric in sweet bread dough or soups because I can't taste it that way. It pairs well with cinnamon which is also very healthful.

If you begin studying herbs you'll really start wondering about prescription medications. A lot of our grandparents lived long lives without prescriptions, but they commonly used herbs. It's not herbs that people should be afraid of.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:58 PM   #12
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Try it

+1 Curcumin & Tumeric- supplement Amazon, but need cheaper supply. Really helps my old knees.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote