Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-04-2017, 04:38 PM   #1
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Conneaut, Ohio
Posts: 180
Year: 2004
Chassis: International CE 300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 71 passenger / 12 window
Current (October 2017) scrap value of a full size school bus?

I'm asking because I called my local bus yard this afternoon, inquiring (among other things) about what they do when they retire buses. The first guy with whom I spoke said that they consider the differential between the scrap value and what they'd likely get for them if they sold them... and if the scrap value exceeds the likely sale value, they'll scrap the buses even if they're otherwise operable.

So, just to get an idea... what would a scrap yard pay for a retired full-size school bus, say at least 12 years old? (It'd be good to know, for reference purposes.)
RomaniGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 04:56 PM   #2
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 11,878
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
I'm asking because I called my local bus yard this afternoon, inquiring (among other things) about what they do when they retire buses. The first guy with whom I spoke said that they consider the differential between the scrap value and what they'd likely get for them if they sold them... and if the scrap value exceeds the likely sale value, they'll scrap the buses even if they're otherwise operable.

So, just to get an idea... what would a scrap yard pay for a retired full-size school bus, say at least 12 years old? (It'd be good to know, for reference purposes.)

I would call back and ask if said bus yard individual would consider making a phone call ( to you) if they had operable busses going out to scrap.. ie that they could be sold and REUSED for the same price.. thus helping the community and feeling good that he didnt just have perfectly good busses destroyed...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 05:14 PM   #3
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Conneaut, Ohio
Posts: 180
Year: 2004
Chassis: International CE 300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 71 passenger / 12 window
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I would call back and ask if said bus yard individual would consider making a phone call ( to you) if they had operable busses going out to scrap.. ie that they could be sold and REUSED for the same price.. thus helping the community and feeling good that he didnt just have perfectly good busses destroyed...

-Christopher
I'm going to visit the yard next week when the head mechanic is in - supposedly he's the guy I have to talk to, and he'd show me the buses they're looking to retire. I imagine that they wouldn't care who got the bus as long as they got the same amount of money. I just want to know what I'm looking at competing against. I just watched buses go at auction for $1,900 or less after buyer's premium, so if I find out that a bus can command $2,000+ from a scrap yard, I'll know that I was a moron for having missed out on that auction.

Also, side note since you're from Ohio... everywhere I look, I see it stated that you must have a CDL to drive any vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or higher in Ohio. Nowhere did I see any exception for school buses converted into private motorhomes or used for private purposes even if hauling less than 16 people. Do you have a CDL? (If not, how have you avoided this little quandary?)
RomaniGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 05:24 PM   #4
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 228
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: AARE 3903
Engine: Cummins 8.3L 12v
Rated Cap: 78
I believe a common price for that sort of thing currently is $100 per ton. So maybe $700-$1000 depending on the size of the bus?
miscrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 05:53 PM   #5
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 2,627
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
I'm going to visit the yard next week when the head mechanic is in - supposedly he's the guy I have to talk to, and he'd show me the buses they're looking to retire. I imagine that they wouldn't care who got the bus as long as they got the same amount of money. I just want to know what I'm looking at competing against. I just watched buses go at auction for $1,900 or less after buyer's premium, so if I find out that a bus can command $2,000+ from a scrap yard, I'll know that I was a moron for having missed out on that auction.

Also, side note since you're from Ohio... everywhere I look, I see it stated that you must have a CDL to drive any vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or higher in Ohio. Nowhere did I see any exception for school buses converted into private motorhomes or used for private purposes even if hauling less than 16 people. Do you have a CDL? (If not, how have you avoided this little quandary?)
CDL restrictions are Federal, not state. They are managed by the states who can add a few minor restrictions, but they cannot change the federal law, and the RV/MH exception to gross weight is federal.

Some states try to insist on a "non-commercial CDL". That's a contradiction in terms, there is no such thing. What they have done is put heavy, personal vehicles in a different vehicle class, but the license is a regular one.
__________________
Steve Bracken

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 06:14 PM   #6
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Conneaut, Ohio
Posts: 180
Year: 2004
Chassis: International CE 300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 71 passenger / 12 window
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
CDL restrictions are Federal, not state. They are managed by the states who can add a few minor restrictions, but they cannot change the federal law, and the RV/MH exception to gross weight is federal.

Some states try to insist on a "non-commercial CDL". That's a contradiction in terms, there is no such thing. What they have done is put heavy, personal vehicles in a different vehicle class, but the license is a regular one.
There seems to be an issue with using the vehicle in the "furtherance of a commercial operation". We'd be using it to transport ourselves and our musical equipment to locations where we'd be performing. That would seem to fit the bill for being "furtherance of a commercial operation", wouldn't it? (I sure wouldn't want to get into an accident or something and find out that my insurance wouldn't pay for the damage because we were operating to "further a commercial operation".)
RomaniGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 06:27 PM   #7
Skoolie
 
ACamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Colorado
Posts: 167
Before I bought my bus in September I called a few scrap yards in Denver to get a feel for the scrap price. I got a few different prices between $50- and $80 a ton. All the places I called said the seats had to be removed.

September 2017 Denver $50-$80 a ton. Seats removed.

I am not sure of the weight of a full sized school bus I get different numbers all over the place.
I would be interested in the actual weight if anyone has some numbers ?
ACamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:00 PM   #8
Traveling
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Midwest
Posts: 2,573
Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACamper View Post
All the places I called said the seats had to be removed.
Interesting stipulation. Makes you wonder.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:16 PM   #9
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 2,627
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Interesting stipulation. Makes you wonder.
It's the foam.
__________________
Steve Bracken

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:22 PM   #10
Traveling
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Midwest
Posts: 2,573
Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
It's the foam.
Oh, so just yank the cushions, leave the frames for maximum gravity.


foam.jpg
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.