Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2017, 08:35 PM   #41
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3/Allison MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Maybe all this is why Kubla told me to stick with 466's?
Could be. Many people have the misconception that a DT530 is essentially a DT466 with a bigger bore and stroke. It's actually a totally different engine.

While the displacement and power numbers look nice on paper, I wouldn't want one.

When I was searching for a bus, I would consider one if it had an 8.3 or a DT466. With a heavy preference for the Cummins, but only because of the difference in power output. Both are equally fantastic in reliability.

Rameses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 09:56 AM   #42
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: New Flyer
Chassis: D45HF "Viking"
Engine: 11.1L Detroit Diesel S60
Rated Cap: 51,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameses View Post
Could be. Many people have the misconception that a DT530 is essentially a DT466 with a bigger bore and stroke. It's actually a totally different engine.

While the displacement and power numbers look nice on paper, I wouldn't want one.

When I was searching for a bus, I would consider one if it had an 8.3 or a DT466. With a heavy preference for the Cummins, but only because of the difference in power output. Both are equally fantastic in reliability.
Ok, this advice concerns me a bit. As you know the International I'm looking at has a DT530. What is it about that engine that you wouldn't want one?
MarkyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 10:45 AM   #43
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3/Allison MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyDee View Post
Ok, this advice concerns me a bit. As you know the International I'm looking at has a DT530. What is it about that engine that you wouldn't want one?
That front cover seal I mentioned that's prone to failure. When they allow water and coolant to mix, changing that seal requires the same amount of work as replacing the front cover, just without the cost of a new front cover mixed in.
Rameses is offline   Reply With Quote