Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2004, 02:29 AM   #1
Bus Geek

diesel engine project:

it's almost that time of year, when Lapeer Community School auctions off more buses.

There are getting rid of 6 or 7 of them this fall. All of them run great, one has a bad transmission. One is a Ford B700 with the 6.6 liter just like my bus ward body. The rest are all international with the DT366 and carpenter bodies. I'm sure that since these are the carpenters with the known problems, they will go for really cheap. If i was looking for a new bus, i'd buy one of these and use it. All of the carpenters at Lapeer Schools have had the sheet metal taken off and all the beams re-welded.

Anyhow: I've been thinking that i really don't need a new bus, but there has to be a good project for one of those diesel engines. I can use the engine and allison auto trans. I don't think it would quite fit into crown victoria, but pehaps it would fit in a F250 or larger pickup truck. Or it could possibly be used as a generator if you could find a suitable govenor. In a crown vic, i bet one of those engines would get 20 + miles per gallon (on veggie oil)

do you have any good ideas for a big diesel engine project?

Old 08-13-2004, 09:46 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: ThomasBuilt
Chassis: International Harvester S-1700
Engine: 9L IHC V-8 Diesel 180HP
Rated Cap: 60
Diesel Jeepster Commando

I have an old '68 Jeepster Commando that I bought as a project for my son and I to work on together. He lost interest, I don't have time for it now, so it's sitting completely (and I do mean COMPLETELY) disassembled in my garage. It originally had a AMC Dauntless 225 cid V-6 engine in it, but that engine needs to be completely rebuilt. I was thinking along the lines you mention, buying a "bad" Carpenter and taking the diesel engine and tranny out and installing them in the Commando. It would probably be a cheaper way of getting a working engine than having the old one rebuilt. Since I have the entire vehicle disassembled, and since I need to replace much of the floorpan, I could probably go ahead and cut the firewall and floor to fit the new powertrain, and lengthen the frame and move the engine mounts as necessary.

I guess I'd need a detailed plan of the replacement engine candidate first in order to see if there was a reasonable chance that it and the tranny could be mated to the vehicle.

Or I could just wing it....
Eric von Kleist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 09:34 PM   #3
Bus Nut

After we move to the country next year I want to get a carpenter with a good engine and tranny and make a truck out of it. I could haul a lot more firewood than with any pickup and it would cost far less. I figure a carpenter bus would be great since I could just cut the roof off and leave the sides just below the window line. I would leave the first 5' of the bus as a cab. I would rebuild the roof though to be safe.
busone is offline   Reply With Quote