he's sold the bus, but here's one of his posts dated 09-10-2005
Originally Posted by captainkf
almost 7000 km's and seven weeks later we are now on the other side of this huge country. I will post some more photo's of the bus once I figure out how to do so. Some updates from somone who lived in the front of their bus with a wife a two large dogs.
- Propane powered engines are a good idea in Alberta - ONLY!! What a pain. The bus was loaded down with our stuff and towing a 14' long pace american cargo trailer plus the roof rack was full. So it was working. The trip became where could we find propane to fill up with. The further east one goes the less automotive propane is available. Those that do have propane are open limited hours and the guy who certified to pump it has usually just gone home for the day. ARHHGG!!! We had a list of "all" the available vendors in canada which helped but was not always acurate. A few close calls. The closest was driving for 45 minutes on empty.
- Air conditioning is must. I have a 6000 btu home unit mounted in the living compartment of ours and it was barely enough. The roof rack made such a huge difference in keeping the heat off the bus. I would highly recomend one.
- Don't get cheap (like me out of nessisity) when it comes to your water system. I installed two pump style faucets (bathroom and kitchen). They work but are a pain because they are so slow. A water pump would make a huge difference.
- Buy good matching new deep cycle batteries. Seems obvious eh?
- Even a cheap genereator is worth it. We lived for free on a beach and surfed and swam for two weeks. All the while watching movies on laptops and drinking coffee. Good Stuff. It was days like that I appreciated all the work that went into converting a school bus.
- Truck stops are great. They don't mind overnight stays, are safe and have some of the cleanest showers I have seen. My wife and I were in shock. And they're free!!!
- Walmart parking lots are great. Free, easy to access and safe. Usually close to grocery stores and such also.
Gotta run. I'll upload some photo's in a few days. -Richard