Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2016, 05:46 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
does anyone run a TPMS system?

does anyone run a TPMS system similar to

RV AND RV TRAILER

these are internal as opposed to screw-on and measure temperature too..

-Christopher

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 06:08 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
That Valor system looks pretty cool. I wonder whether they sell it for one-off projects like ours? I had always assumed I'd have to brew my own with a TPMS receiver reference design from Atmel or Microchip and buy compatible transmitters on eBay or something. The Valor system looks spendy enough that I'd still hack my own instead of buying theirs..
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 06:52 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by family wagon View Post
That Valor system looks pretty cool. I wonder whether they sell it for one-off projects like ours? I had always assumed I'd have to brew my own with a TPMS receiver reference design from Atmel or Microchip and buy compatible transmitters on eBay or something. The Valor system looks spendy enough that I'd still hack my own instead of buying theirs..
ive thought about doing exactly that.. building one.. then I found there are quite a few online so I may not roll my own.. esp since some of them have RS232 ports on them so I can keep Techie-Geek theme going in my Bus...

I found one PressurePro system on amazon for 4 wheels .. it is a little less eye candy for the screen but goes for $350.. you need 2 more sensors at $50 each for 6 wheels.... the disadvantage to the Valor is that you have to have the tires dismounted and remounted to install it.. so that adds a lot of spendy.. whereas something like PressurePro is screw on sensors right on your valve stem so they are less pricey..

the upscale version of the pressurepro is spendy..(pressurepro pulse).. it is $700 complete for 6 tires.. its more commercial.. does data logging and has RS232 port..

they do sell an embedded board for DIY projects..

PressurePro Embedded Tire Pressure Monitor Board

-Christopher
Old 04-11-2016, 11:17 PM   #4
Almost There

Year: 95
Coachwork: Amtran ss-33
Chassis: Int 3800
Engine: dt444E
Rated Cap: 29,000
tire bat and thermal sensor gun.

if your not a man our doing it all wrong-kp
tincaneasybakeoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:27 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by tincaneasybakeoven View Post

arent those only good for when stopped? whats a tire bat
-Christopher
Old 04-12-2016, 06:32 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
Quote:
i use a bat. my friend had a system like that and had nothing but problems with it. they would not work at all or give false readings/ alarms. the sensers he put on the tow vehicle require you to put about a pound of counter weight on to balance out the tire. he took them off a few months after he installed them.
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 07:47 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave View Post
i use a bat. my friend had a system like that and had nothing but problems with it. they would not work at all or give false readings/ alarms. the sensers he put on the tow vehicle require you to put about a pound of counter weight on to balance out the tire. he took them off a few months after he installed them.
how do you get accurate readings with a bat? or are Even and equal tire pressures not as critical on a Bus as they are on a car or esp a 4x4...

I always used to check them all the time manually.. had extenders on my Tandems. . but was looking for a more modern way..

which system did you have that worked badly?

most of the things im looking at now are .5 oz or less sensors so i can simply counterweight it opposite assuming my tires are balanced from the beginning..

-Christopher
Old 04-12-2016, 11:21 AM   #8
Almost There

you mean your not using the dynamic golf ball counter weight system?

trust between stops has been the otr truckers mantra for over 100 years. tire sound can tell a 7 pound difference to the discerning ear. just by hitting with a bat. that and the thermal gun allows instant readings for things like differentials and hubs and exhaust at the cylinder head, serpentine idler pulleys electrical boxes for the E after 444E or 466E, auto trans sump trailer hubs etc. all for less than 50 dolllars.

Old 04-12-2016, 11:34 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
you mean your not using the dynamic golf ball counter weight system?

trust between stops has been the otr truckers mantra for over 100 years. tire sound can tell a 7 pound difference to the discerning ear. just by hitting with a bat. that and the thermal gun allows instant readings for things like differentials and hubs and exhaust at the cylinder head, serpentine idler pulleys electrical boxes for the E after 444E or 466E, auto trans sump trailer hubs etc. all for less than 50 dolllars.

the thermal gun I get.. in fact I carry.. and I agree easy to use for many functions.... and very quick to do a walkaround at a stop and ht various components.. yes Ive used these in the Mechanical world for a long time.. and correct very Cheap..

I just dont understand how to tell that ive got 100 PSI in a tire by hitting it with a bat... I suppose I'll learn it if thats what everyone does though id rather have numbers.. maybe because im a computer and physics kida guy so I like to see numbers to things....

-Christopher
Old 04-12-2016, 12:07 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Get a club, small hammer, axe handle or even a tire iron and thump on your tires. It's almost guaranteed that you'll hear the difference in tone that a low pressure tire produces. This has been used for years by truckers. For heat, just put your hand on the tire, wheel, brake drum or differential.

Technology doesn't always cut it. Yes it's fun to play with but an investment into a bus deserves real world information even if it's not numbers.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 01:35 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
I just use a good tire gauge, and check the tires every other day where on the road
I will be getting a tire monitor when I start towing my car, would like to know it a tire blows when I towing it
gbstewart
Old 04-12-2016, 04:14 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Get a club, small hammer, axe handle or even a tire iron and thump on your tires. It's almost guaranteed that you'll hear the difference in tone that a low pressure tire produces. This has been used for years by truckers. For heat, just put your hand on the tire, wheel, brake drum or differential.

Technology doesn't always cut it. Yes it's fun to play with but an investment into a bus deserves real world information even if it's not numbers.
LOL true that... but tell it that to a guy who has a Connected Home... HVAC below..

WELL.... I was going to try and upload a couple pics but after several attempts it appears the forum will not let me.... so much for that
-Christopher
Old 04-13-2016, 02:35 PM   #13
Almost There

what happens when the battery runs out or the sensor hits the ground (or deck) hard? have a backup and a plan. practice with the alternative, compare both fill tires to 100 psi and visually look to see what 100 psi looks like on our bus loaded your way.

Old 04-13-2016, 02:38 PM   #14
Bus Geek

It seems everybody is having some trouble with those sensors. They aren't consistent.
Old 04-13-2016, 03:34 PM   #15
Bus Geek

I like the idea of a tire gauge much better than a ball bat.. esp because im imagining that a single low tire on a tandem probably sounds different then both tires being low.. inner vs outer.. one overinflated, one under.. hmm.. I dont expect a TPMS to give me exact readings... although ive had them in my cars since 2007... and not a single issue.. but then they are OEM and not attempts to retrofit as opposed to engineered into the vehicle.. definitely can make a huge difference...

-Christopher
Old 04-13-2016, 03:55 PM   #16
Bus Geek

When it's raining and blowing you're not going to get down on your knees to put an air gauge to the inside dual. You can thump on the tires relatively quickly and know if an inside dual is low easily. Granted it's harder to thump the tires on a bus than on a truck.
I say take whatever precautions you are most comfortable with. There's a reason I have a mechanical drive train on this bus and I think keeping it simple will be more time efficient for me.
Old 04-13-2016, 04:06 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
When it's raining and blowing you're not going to get down on your knees to put an air gauge to the inside dual. You can thump on the tires relatively quickly and know if an inside dual is low easily. Granted it's harder to thump the tires on a bus than on a truck.
I say take whatever precautions you are most comfortable with. There's a reason I have a mechanical drive train on this bus and I think keeping it simple will be more time efficient for me.
I also purposely looked for mechanical drivetrain as well.. I looked at tons of busses and when mine came along with a mechanical drivetrain and a decent body I was all over it...

and yeah you are right checking inside tandems is a PITA... and ive heard using extenders results in leaks.. maybe screwing TPMS sensors on also causes leaks defeating their purpose...?

I'll watch, read, experiment and learn....

-Christopher
Old 04-13-2016, 04:30 PM   #18
Bus Geek

That's what we're all doing. Thanks for taking the techy road and telling us about your experience.
Old 04-13-2016, 04:31 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Lots of aftermarket systems...has anyone here had any experience with them?
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 02:05 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
I am going for the Careud U901. 6 sensors about $ 140 .
Seems that one just have to be lucky with this stuff.

Later J
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote