Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2016, 12:05 AM   #1

Does size really matter?

What is everyone's opinion/ experience with the size of your skoolie/bus limiting where you can go? I'm not necessarily talking about rv parks, though I have heard some of them limit the size of vehicles they allow. I'm more concerned with getting around in general, access to state parks, boondocking, popular camping spots, etc. I will have 2 scooters and hopefully a tow vehicle to get around once I'm stationary.
I'm almost positive I have decided on a 40' diesel pusher school bus due to my budget, but plan on building it out to be a permanent, mobile home for my girlfriend and I along with our 3 year old granddaughter.
This will be our first time in any type of rv or bus. We live in St. Louis and the plan is to head from here to Maine for a bit then down the East Coast to Florida for an extended stay. From there on to explore the western 1/3 of the US and up to Alaska for a year. Eventually heading to Costa Rica indefinitely.

The way I have the floor plan planned out, I will need every bit of the 40'. I could go smaller if I were single, but Im not. But need to know how limited I will be before I dive into this instead of a live aboard sailboat. Lol
Thanks for reading.

HighwayPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 07:18 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I bought the biggest I could get.
Scooters are where its at, I'm gonna keep a scooter in the rear instead of a toad.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 02:07 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomsass
Chassis: FreightShaker
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 5 speed
Rated Cap: 2 ATV's and friends
I would of bought a 50 footer if they made one, to squeeeze a third ATV inside.
REDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 04:23 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Even though we could use a 40+ we went with a 35 so we could get into the state and national parks. A lot, not sure exactly how many, limit to 35 ft. Just my 2 cents
Eric
daddyoften is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 06:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyoften View Post
Even though we could use a 40+ we went with a 35 so we could get into the state and national parks. A lot, not sure exactly how many, limit to 35 ft. Just my 2 cents
Eric

Thanks. That's what I'm kind of worried about.
HighwayPirate is offline   Reply With Quote