Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2018, 03:20 PM   #1

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 7.3 liter powerstroke
Door locks

I have 1998 Thomas short bus and I would like to find a way to be able to lock/ unlock the emergency exit door from either the inside or out side of the bus. If anybody knows of any products or has any ideas that would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Jpav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 04:02 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2010
Coachwork: Thomas B2B
Chassis: 281TS
Engine: MBE 926 7.2L 211HP
Rated Cap: 29,000 LBS
Door locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpav View Post
I have 1998 Thomas short bus and I would like to find a way to be able to lock/ unlock the emergency exit door from either the inside or out side of the bus. If anybody knows of any products or has any ideas that would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Jpav, we have a Thomas B2B and the way we secure our bus is by using deadbolt locks. We installed them below the door handle.

With this method, we’ve been able to lock all of our doors from the outside and haven’t had any issues so for. For the front door, we did a double key double to prevent someone from just breaking the window and unlocking the deadbolt.

I hope this helps!!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0764.jpg   IMG_0765.jpg   IMG_0766.jpg  
Tarheel Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 06:04 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel Travelers View Post
Jpav, we have a Thomas B2B and the way we secure our bus is by using deadbolt locks. We installed them below the door handle.

With this method, we’ve been able to lock all of our doors from the outside and haven’t had any issues so for. For the front door, we did a double key double to prevent someone from just breaking the window and unlocking the deadbolt.

I hope this helps!!
This is a compromise that should be second thought. While you save yourself from being broken into, you are now trapped in your bus if a fire starts.Now i know you're going to tell me you unlock every door when ever you are in the bus.The rubber gasketed rear door windows are easy to breach if you really want to get in.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 06:10 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2010
Coachwork: Thomas B2B
Chassis: 281TS
Engine: MBE 926 7.2L 211HP
Rated Cap: 29,000 LBS
No, I don’t unlock every door when I’m in the bus. I have 2 regular deadbolts for my back doors that can be opened if there ever is an fire. For the front door, with the double key lock, we use the air door to secure it at night so if there is ever a fire and we are up front, we just use the emergency release switch to open and get out.

Safety first, Safety always!!
Tarheel Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 09:51 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
Rated Cap: 2
The window!

For the front door, we did a double key double to prevent someone from just breaking the window and unlocking the deadbolt.

This is very important!
Excellent lockset installation +11
Rivetboy is offline   Reply With Quote