Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2005, 03:49 PM   #1
Skoolie

Engine: CAT 3208 NA
Driveaway services . . .

I bought a bus today!

Details to come - questions for now:

Has anyone used a driveaway or ferry service to get their bus home? This bus is <200 miles from me and I'm hoping that the dealer will deliver, but barring that I'll use a service.

Any experiences you've had would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Jake.

Old 01-14-2005, 06:53 PM   #2
Bus Geek

it'll be interesting to see what the cheapest price is you can find for that type of service. It would seem that it would be prohibitively expensive.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:38 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77
Why not go get it yourself? That's half the fun.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 06:35 AM   #4
Skoolie

In my younger days I just might. But we're talking 200 miles up the center of the Bos-Wash corridor. The risks are fairly low, but the consequences high if something happens - especially since, at any given time, there are probably more lawyers per mile on this stretch of roadway then just about anywhere else!

Still, if I can register and insure as some sort of private bus - looking into that now - I'll will do it.

Jake.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:00 PM   #5
Skoolie

Damn does Massachusetts make it difficult! There are NO temp tags in Mass and there is no private passenger registration in excess of 10,000 lbs except for "auto home" which requires a title conversion. And oh, GMAC will not even do business in Mass. AT ALL!

I have two quotes for driveaway. The first is for an unpaid driver, the driveaway company provides plates, insurance and fuel, the driver get the ride. The price is $295 but a I have to wait for a driver to be available and the seller wants the bus picked up within 10 days. This was USA Driveaway.

The second option is a professional paid driver who will show up at the bus with-in three to five days and costs $895 including driver, plates, insurance and fuel. This from Dependable Auto Shippers.

There is still the possibility that the seller can arrange delivery, I'll be talking to him tomorrow when I pay for the bus. I'll also take some pictures to post here.

Jake
Old 01-17-2005, 09:23 PM   #6
Skoolie

Hold the phone! I just found this in the Mass. RMV code:

5. Recreational Vehicle Operators. Any vehicle operated solely as a personal or family conveyance for recreational purposes may be operated with a Class D License. To be exempt from CDL requirements, the vehicle must be used exclusively to transport family members or personal friends and/or their effects.

NOT quite what I had been told, that the vehicle had to be Titled as an RV. SO I can register as a commercial vehicle but if I operate solely as a private vehicle I do not need a CDL. Now, the question is what will insurance cost.

Jake.
Old 01-20-2005, 02:59 PM   #7
Skoolie

I ended up paying the yard where the bus sat to flatbed it up to my house. He gave me a discount rate and the 3 hour trip cost me $700. DAS had quoted me $1595 for the same service.

Not too bad, and I didn't have to worry about what I would do if it broke down in -5 degree weather!

Bus insurance and registration would have cost me $2000, the quote for RV insurance and reg. was $650, after a title conversion.

Jake.