Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2019, 06:18 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Cross country on lawn chairs yuck !!! I would get some seats that are bolted down, or some form of secure attachment and comfortable for the family

Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 07:04 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

You know being registered as a truck does change things. Everyone on board will likely have to have a seat belt. Also most states require truck to stop at weigh stations. They would certainly see inside with the many cameras they have and anything less then at least bus seats would raise issues. Now being a school bus you may get away without stopping at the weigh stations, this is assuming it still looks like a school bus, i.e. still yellow and no body mods. It would also help if the truck tags do not say truck on them.

I Virginia they do clearly say truck on truck tags and all trucks with truck tags including pickups are required to stop at weigh stations, and a friend of mine did get a ticket for going past one in his empty pickup. Generally pickups are not messed with but it is on the books and this cop must have needed to meet his quota.

Just some more thoughts....
Old 10-20-2019, 07:10 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
Cross country on lawn chairs yuck !!! I would get some seats that are bolted down, or some form of secure attachment and comfortable for the family
I checked out a '71 Volvo once that turned out to have no front seat, just two lawn chairs (the old kind with the aluminum frame and nylon webbing) duct-taped to the floor. Dude said it was safe because the transmission was blown and the car wouldn't go faster than 20 mph.

I don't know if this was just an Albuquerque thing, but it seemed like back then ('89) every used car for sale was a beat up early-70s Volvo.
Old 10-20-2019, 07:31 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
You know being registered as a truck does change things. Everyone on board will likely have to have a seat belt. Also most states require truck to stop at weigh stations. They would certainly see inside with the many cameras they have and anything less then at least bus seats would raise issues. Now being a school bus you may get away without stopping at the weigh stations, this is assuming it still looks like a school bus, i.e. still yellow and no body mods. It would also help if the truck tags do not say truck on them.

I Virginia they do clearly say truck on truck tags and all trucks with truck tags including pickups are required to stop at weigh stations, and a friend of mine did get a ticket for going past one in his empty pickup. Generally pickups are not messed with but it is on the books and this cop must have needed to meet his quota.

Just some more thoughts....
I believe in Va. the "Truck" designation applies to trucks over 7501lbs. My Ram 350 doesn't weigh that much, therefore it would not apply to 99% of pick ups.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:36 PM   #25
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
If you do want seats, there's bound to be somebody along that route who has a bus they're converting to an RV and has a busload of seats they want to be rid of. (I read online somewhere that this happens). If you can't find seats locally before you begin the trip maybe you can find some only a day or two into the trip and make do until then.

I have to say, though: I found it very comfortable to ride in a bus seated on a love seat instead of a hard plastic bench!
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 06:08 AM   #26
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I believe in Va. the "Truck" designation applies to trucks over 7501lbs. My Ram 350 doesn't weigh that much, therefore it would not apply to 99% of pick ups.
Gross weight rating not actual weight. My Ram grosses at 10,500 for just the truck and trailer takes it to 26,000lbs. In Virginia we have to include trailer with the truck.

So basically all 3/4 ton pickups and above need truck tags.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:12 AM   #27
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by family wagon View Post
If you do want seats, there's bound to be somebody along that route who has a bus they're converting to an RV and has a busload of seats they want to be rid of. (I read online somewhere that this happens). If you can't find seats locally before you begin the trip maybe you can find some only a day or two into the trip and make do until then.

I have to say, though: I found it very comfortable to ride in a bus seated on a love seat instead of a hard plastic bench!
We have a bus load of seats to get rid of, kind of on the opposite coast though
Old 10-21-2019, 06:19 AM   #28
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
We have a bus load of seats to get rid of, kind of on the opposite coast though

are they low-back wayne seats? I know people restoring busses to original that might be looking for those if they are
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 06:36 AM   #29
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
are they low-back wayne seats? I know people restoring busses to original that might be looking for those if they are
Bluebird highback seats
Old 10-22-2019, 01:55 PM   #30
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
Without seat-belts, your family is much more likely to suffer injuries or worse in the event of an accident or collision.

Without seats, there's a good chance someone will get hurt just by hard braking or a quick turn.

Unless it was just a trip around the block, there's no way I'd transport people I cared about in a gutted bus. People I didn't like, though... that could be fun

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 11:29 PM   #31
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHubbardBus View Post

Unless it was just a trip around the block, there's no way I'd transport people I cared about in a gutted bus. People I didn't like, though... that could be fun

Wrapping them in barbed wire and driving down Lombard St. at 60 mph?

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 08:46 AM   #32
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Hmm... My RAM is almost 8000 pounds with a full tank of diesel and 150 pound driver. She isn't fat. Just a little plump
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 09:58 AM   #33
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by plfking View Post

Wrapping them in barbed wire and driving down Lombard St. at 60 mph?
LOL. I like your style Don't forget the salt!

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 03:23 PM   #34
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
School buses are usually exempt for some reason. Not one of the 80 seats I just tore out of mine had a seatbelt. Only the driver's seat.
Artor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 03:27 PM   #35
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHubbardBus View Post
Without seat-belts, your family is much more likely to suffer injuries or worse in the event of an accident or collision.

Without seats, there's a good chance someone will get hurt just by hard braking or a quick turn.

That maneuver is called a "Freddie Gray."
Artor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 03:37 PM   #36
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Chassis: MPV Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins Mechanical
Rated Cap: 84
I have a few options here in Oregon...

Afternoon Rhian...

I am in Eugene, Or. I have been bolting down Capt Chairs in my bus for Passengers to ride in... there are a few options Easy and Cheap around...

give me a call if you have not already figured it out...

Safe travels...

John in Eugene
541-232-9958
64crew4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 03:39 PM   #37
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: 6-71TA
Rated Cap: 90
As many have already mentioned, safety is the main thing regarding seats (including belts). Not worth the risk with so many nut cases on the Hiways these days.
GWRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 03:41 PM   #38
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000 Genesis 34’
Engine: 7.6L turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 35 (wheelchair bus)
If it were licensed as a motorhome, SOME states wouldn’t need seatbelts for anyone but the driver, though many will. As it’s registered as a truck, seatbelts will still be required for all occupants.
Still in the planning and hunting stage
StuartBenbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 03:44 PM   #39
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
I run my Astro van w/o rear seats and have tried hauling a few people just sitting on a lunch box or folding chair, it's pretty dangerous and out of control. Have driven cars just sitting on a 5 gallon bucket.......you would be surprised how little control you have of your body in a moving vehicle. Let someone else drive while your sitting in a lawn chair and see how you like it. I'd put something in there they can trust that will support their bodies somehow. Thrift store sofa, rear van seat or put a couple original school bus seats back in. You might be headed to a hospital for stitches if you don't.
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 04:01 PM   #40

Year: 1985
Thank you for finally answering the actual question. Though some of your personal opinions were, at times an interesting read, I too was looking for only the legality of a similar trip. Thank you for your question Rhiam, it was a great question!

Tags
cdl, license, passengers, seats