Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2019, 04:06 PM   #41
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: Cummins ISC 260HP/660Q/MD3060 6spd
Rated Cap: 81
If you check with the tag/plate issuing jurisdiction (in your case Oregon) you’ll be fine if you follow their rules. It’s completely unreasonable to expect you to conform to the different state laws for each state you might be driving through. It’s like when I travel around with my kids from place to place, they can’t expect me to change car seats according to each places law. Just go with the jurisdiction who issues your tag. Sorry I don’t have Oregon’s specific requirements.

Bon Voyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 04:12 PM   #42
Mini-Skoolie

In NY, anyone under age 16 is required to be in a seatbelt that faces forward. If young enough they have to be in an appropriate car seat that is also facing the correct direction.

My bus I’m picking up is already strips of seats. I found one locally that I will install right behind the stairs for kiddo. It has lapbelts. If and when we upgrade her seating, I actually probably want to get a racing seat with a 5 point harness since they are safest.

When we were driving through PA last year a State Trooper stopped us at the gas station and informed me that kiddo had to go in the backseat until she was 12. So, it is entirely possible to be “stopped” while in transit.

If all are adults an easy solution might be hammocks. They can easily be strung from window to window. They would cradle each passenger like a cocoon with the bus movements. Might get carsick easily though.

I have seen many conversions with sofas along the wall and seatbelts. In NY, those aren’t legal for anyone under 16. So, might want to take a few hours and install seating for safety and comfort.

Tags
cdl, license, passengers, seats