Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2017, 01:01 PM   #1

Year: N/A
Coachwork: Looking for a new bus
Chassis: N/A
Engine: N/A
Rated Cap: N/A
Driving the Pan American Highway - need tips!

Hi guys,

Love this forum!

I am planning on driving the Pan American highway from Alaska to Argentina starting in 2018 and of course I want to do this in style in a converted school bus!

6 years ago I drove from London to Bangkok in a converted minibus picking up random travellers along the way which was a phenomenal experience but I want to now go bigger and better and so would love to get any tips I can to make the dream a reality.
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/membe...cture17185.png
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/membe...cture17176.jpg

I am an Aussie living in Amsterdam (and so planning from abroad) but plan on packing my bags and flying to either Alaska or Canada to locate and purchase a bus, start a conversion and get basic insurance so I can drive on a regular drivers licence in under 4 weeks and then start driving.

I have a few questions to get started:
- Has anyone had experience as a foreigner getting skoolies licensed and insurance which would cover me for Canada and USA?
- I am not talented enough to do the rebuild myself, does anyone have experience with using hired help for a skoolie in Alaska/Canada?
- I'm doing as much research as I can on all the "watch-outs" and things I need to sort out first, I'd really appreciate any general advice for how things work in North America with this sort of thing.

Finally the idea of this project is to follow the same style as my last adventure from London to Bangkok - picking up travellers, creating amazing multimedia content and building a community (this is not a business just a life adventure). So if you are interested in getting involved in a new project let me know!

Very much appreciated

Tags
alaska, licence, panamerica, patagonia