Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2012, 01:48 PM   #1
Bus Geek

dump station at house

So after seeing this thanks stew
So do people just tie into their septic tank or do you just install another one?
With say 5 dumps a year would a seperate one even work?since bacteria would get old and die from lack of food?

Just thinking while making a parking spot for the bus we don't have yet

bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:30 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Re: dump station at house

Back when we still had a house... David put "clean out traps" on all our septic systems (all 4 of them). They were just a 3" threaded pipe fitting between the house and the septic tank. Very handy if you need to snake out the sewer line because your kids decided to see if they can flush a full roll of TP. If you are only using it for your own use (IE: not living in the RV & the house at the same time) then dump into your home septic system. You will not be adding any extra load to the system. If you plan on letting others live on the sewer system, then use a separate system. Do not use chems in the holding tank. If you do use a separate, seldom used system, then you may want to put a dose of Riddex down the tank once a year (with your first dump of the season). When we used an old system at my mom's (hadn't been used in 10 years), I put a dose of Riddex in our black holding tank (NOT A WHOLE BOX) and dumped the black/grey tanks when they filled after a few days just like I normally did. Also when we were the only RV in a seldom used campground (on a septic system), I did the same thing with the Riddex. The Riddex is cheap and good "insurance". We do not use any other "chemicals" in our tanks including antibacterial soaps. But this is just what we do. With every flush, you add some of the bacteria needed to breakdown the wastes PLUS the food they eat (waste). What the RIddex does is add more bacteria to the mix. If there isn't enough "food" in the system, some of the bacteria will die and become food for the surviving bacteria. This is why we add Riddex to abused, seldom used or unused septic systems. We don't want the semi dormant bacteria to become overwhelmed and die off from shock and the new stronger bacteria will boost the existing population (if any).
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:13 PM   #3
Bus Geek

I know what you mean,we do riddex or yeast a few times a year,not just once we like to keep them happy all the time in small doses.
So far "knock on door" it's worked good for 12 years.
I thought it would work.
Now I have 2 more projects
Run electric to a 4x4 and put a sewer tap in....I just think it will be so much easier to dump at home the next day after work than finding a dump spot on the way home.
We always seem to have to go "out of the way" to dump...makes trip home more of a prioritey
Thank you for the help in my thoughts
Old 04-07-2012, 07:45 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

One problem in dumping an RV black tank into a house septic is that there is a high concentration of solids in the black tank, and that could push solids into your drainfield, especially if your tank hasn't been pumped in awhile. I'll dump into a septic tank anyway, but I've got a mound system, and if I choke up the drainfield it is BIG $$$ for me.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:27 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil
I... we do riddex or yeast a few times a year,...
Don't use yeast. It requires air to grow and multiply. The stuff in your septic tank does not require air, nor does the stuff in Riddex.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:28 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

One can always get an old plastic tank, and dig a hole with the backhoe and then build a short drainfield out where ya wanna park the rv's.
I have two septic fields for the residence and the apartments... when i dug up both ends of them 5 yrs ago, only a quarter of the lines actually had been used, so depending on the soil, building to code as required is way overkill. BTW... the barrel and short line have never been filled over a 10 year period, with just guests using it.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:29 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil
I... we do riddex or yeast a few times a year,...
Don't use yeast. It requires air to grow and multiply. The stuff in your septic tank does not require air, nor does the stuff in Riddex.
Didn't know that,just listening to the"old folks" alt between yeast and riddex....mmm
Ridex is easier to use,than mixing yeast and letting it come to life then pouring it into system....come to think of it that just won't work warm yeast into cold water seems backwards once you think of it
Old 04-08-2012, 10:00 AM   #8
Bus Geek

I think the "use bread yeast" came about from the folks who had open cesspools, not closed up septic tanks. HUGE difference. That's my theory. I do know that bread yeast (and brewers yeast) must have warm water and AIR to multiply and survive.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:00 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12v
Rated Cap: 78 Passenger

We have an RV sewer connection to our home septic system. My in laws (also our landlords) put it in so they can dump their RV. They also come visit for several weeks each year and stay in their RV, using the dump as a regular sewer connection.

"What's the matter Col Sanders? Chicken?" -Dark Helmet

lu·di·crous [loo-di-kruhs]
adjective
causing laughter because of absurdity; provoking or deserving derision; ridiculous; laughable

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11840
TheRainbowBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:11 AM   #10
Bus Geek

A few weeks with a "guest" wouldn't make much difference in the septic tank unless it's a small tank to start with (and they would be experiencing problems with the tank anyway more than likely). Where the trouble may occur is with a tiny tank combined with a long term user who goes thu a lot of water (IE using a washing machine heavily).
Old 04-10-2012, 08:40 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

mine just dumps into the city sewer lol. im sure if you use the rv digesting stuff and let it digest and then dump it should be fine.
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote