Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2015, 06:28 AM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: I.H.
Engine: DT360
That is a lot of concrete. Are the barrels full of just concrete?

HolyBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:18 AM   #22

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblah View Post
For those feeling concerned about earth's overshoot (more accurately OUR overshoot) i strongly suggestions this book:

Limits to growth : the 30 years update.

http://www.amazon.ca/Limits-Growth-T.../dp/193149858X

It the second book that scholars from MIT published with estimated limits on or exponential growth as a race on earth.

It's a bit dry but they make a decent (the best imo) job of explaining why it can't go on like this for very long...
I have decided to loose some sleep over this. I even scheduled time on my calender.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:35 AM   #23
Skoolie

While I won't argue with you, I was simply adding to the conversation about earth day.

Loose sleep or don't, that's not the point.
mrblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:53 AM   #24

My post was not meant to be a slight against you. There are more than 7 billion people on the planet and growing rapidly. What can I do about it? What about you? I am over 50 and who knows how many years I've got left...10, 20, 30?

Someone just posted about converting a bus to WVO and his wife wanted to save the planet. Really??? You want a bus and save the planet? If you want to save the planet, move into a mud hut and eat bugs and don't try to repopulate the planet by having 10 kids. The world is what it is unless the population is half of what it is today, there is nothing that ANYONE can do about it.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 08-18-2015, 11:58 AM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
^ I'm afraid you're right.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:02 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
^ I'm afraid you're right.

I just called 911 for medical aid. I think I am having a heart attack.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 08-18-2015, 12:19 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: International Navistar DT360
Rated Cap: 60
Hey Bansil, can ya link me to your goat thread when you get it up? You know I'm interested!

Also, I've been thinking a lot lately about an idea I had. I'd love to see it happen someday. Basically I'm sick of everything being disposable. I can't even take a shower without thinking about how the shampoo bottles are going into the trash. I'd like to make a company that delivers products either to your door or to a storefront where all of the products are in reusable, uniformly shaped stackable containers in multiple sizes. You pay a monthly fee pay and pay for whatever products you buy, and as long as your return the containers to be washed and reused you don't have to pay for the containers. You might receive a package (with reusable shipping box) once every two weeks filled with containers that hold anything from spices to flour to shampoo to detergent to anything else you could think of that comes in disposable packaging. You take your stuff out, put your empty containers back in, and ship it back to the warehouse to be washed and refilled. Kinda like an expanded version of the milk man. You go online and modify your order however often you need to.

The company can either manufacture these goods or buy them in massive bulk quantities from popular brands as long as they are also socially and environmentally responsible about how they produce their products. You could even tie it in with fresh grocery delivery services, local farms, or already existing CSA delivery services.

You could even go bigger and have a stock of reusable to-go containers at every fast food place and restaurant. You Scan your membership card, they put your food in these containers, you bring them home and send them back with your other empty containers. If you don't send it back then you get charged for the container.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:54 PM   #28
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal View Post
My post was not meant to be a slight against you. There are more than 7 billion people on the planet and growing rapidly. What can I do about it? What about you? I am over 50 and who knows how many years I've got left...10, 20, 30?

Someone just posted about converting a bus to WVO and his wife wanted to save the planet. Really??? You want a bus and save the planet? If you want to save the planet, move into a mud hut and eat bugs and don't try to repopulate the planet by having 10 kids. The world is what it is unless the population is half of what it is today, there is nothing that ANYONE can do about it.
Glad to read I misunderstood!!

While I partially agree, my reading suggestion provides some real data that could prove interesting to your argument.

It also provides data that shows that we can produce enough foods and goods for everyone, just not "american dream" levels...
Old 08-18-2015, 03:09 PM   #29
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Without fossil fuels we can't produce enough for everyone on the planet.

To make matters worse, the obese people of the population tend to not produce anything. They are just a tax on the entire system. All the way from health care to the food they consume, but do nothing to produce it. Most here live off social funding.

Next is the amount of food wasted by people in their homes and in the production / delivery system. Almost half the finished products get wasted when taking about meats and produce.

What irritates me the most is the picky people. I hear "I'm hungry" from people all the time. However unless it's something they "Like" they won't eat it.

The American dream is a bunch of $hit and we all know it.
It makes living beyond your means, and being wasteful socially acceptable.

For the record I was happy when California started treating all duel rear wheel vehicles as commercial. I hate seeing people using big fuel hog trucks as cars. Pay up a$$ holes.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 04:08 PM   #30
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyBus View Post
That is a lot of concrete. Are the barrels full of just concrete?

that was my first thought!

surely not
Old 08-18-2015, 04:55 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster View Post

To make matters worse, the obese people of the population tend to not produce anything. They are just a tax on the entire system. All the way from health care to the food they consume, but do nothing to produce it. Most here live off social funding.

Next is the amount of food wasted by people in their homes and in the production / delivery system. Almost half the finished products get wasted when taking about meats and produce.

What irritates me the most is the picky people. I hear "I'm hungry" from people all the time. However unless it's something they "Like" they won't eat it.

For the record I was happy when California started treating all duel rear wheel vehicles as commercial. I hate seeing people using big fuel hog trucks as cars. Pay up a$$ holes.

Nat

LOL. Come on Nat, why you pick on us fat people? We need love too...and a couple of burgers. As far as your statement about California, not sure where you are getting your information. Every pickup is registered as commercial, dually or not. A S-10 is commercial as is a F-350. Only way around it is a camper or a shell permanently attached and don't get caught with a 2x4 in the bed without a shell or the ticket will be more than the registration.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 08-18-2015, 05:41 PM   #32
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster View Post

Nat
Sorry but no credible sources were listed so..
Old 08-18-2015, 05:56 PM   #33

Quote:
I think this comment is a little harsh. Not everyone is living the American dream as you call it. More people are looking for work in America than the population of Canada. We are not all living high on the hog.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 08-18-2015, 05:58 PM   #34
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
I think this comment is a little harsh. Not everyone is living the American dream as you call it. More people are looking for work in America than the population of Canada. We are not all living high on the hog.
THANK YOU!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 06:00 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
THANK YOU!
Twice in one day. My heart can't take much more of this.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 08-18-2015, 06:03 PM   #36
Bus Nut

Quote:
I think this comment is a little harsh...
We are not all living high on the hog.
I hear tell there is a place in Colorado where you can order pork that is from pigs that were fed marijuana. Ain't that high on the hog? Danged us Americans. What will we think of next? Someplace in Canada just got aa patent for their version of an elevator to space.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:06 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyBus View Post
I hear tell there is a place in Colorado where you can order pork that is from pigs that were fed marijuana. Ain't that high on the hog? Danged us Americans. What will we think of next? Someplace in Canada just got aa patent for their version of an elevator to space.

Maybe some of those Canadians were fed marijuana.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 08-18-2015, 06:24 PM   #38
Mini-Skoolie

[QUOTE=bansil;120710]I also recycled a bunch of old steel drums this weekend...still not done

Bansil.....you a machinist? I see Val cool drums in there and those blue barrels looks like the crap my dad is alergic to, cant for the life of me remember the name lol
texasrednek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:28 PM   #39
Skoolie

As far as most fat people being on social funding... come on. 60% of the us has a weight problem. Im pretty sure they are not all on social funding.

It is probably true (as in making good sense) that we wouldn't be able ti feed all of us without fossil fuels. Good point.

I didn't want to stir up the mellow on this lovely site, just that this was the best book I read on the limits our planets has, how to guesstimate our future needs and situation (if nothing changes), etc...

I just wanted to share!
Old 08-18-2015, 07:40 PM   #40
Bus Nut

Thank you mrblah.