Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2008, 09:33 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 8.2L Detroit Diesel
Rated Cap: 54
Electronic devices and winter temperatures.

Anyone here keep a TV or stereo or DVD player in your bus through the winter months? I was planning on leaving mine in, since I plan on using my bus through the winter. Just wondered if cold temps can damage such electronic items.

Thanks.

Adam

arfisher83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:37 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: Electronic devices and winter temperatures.

A regular CRT type TV would be fine, but I would NOT leave an LCD TV in there if freezing temps were expected... don't know if it would freeze or not, but when I used to fix gas pumps equipped with LCD displays, they had electric heaters attached to the backside of the chips...

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:20 PM   #3
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneCamping
A regular CRT type TV would be fine, but I would NOT leave an LCD TV in there if freezing temps were expected... don't know if it would freeze or not, but when I used to fix gas pumps equipped with LCD displays, they had electric heaters attached to the backside of the chips...
The main reason for those heaters is not to keep the screens from getting damaged, but rather to keep them working throughout the cold. They can suffer from low-contrast, low refresh, even just plain not working if the temperature falls too much (but would resume working fine once warmed back up).

I'd check what the manufacturer says the operating temperature is, as long as you're within that range I wouldn't worry. Even below the minimum temp, most likely it just wouldn't work perfectly until warmed up. I've left various devices with lcd screens in the car (cellphones, PocketPC, etc.) and no problems yet. Then again we're in TN, our winters aren't quite as brutal as farther north.
josetann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 08:46 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I would NOT leave an LCD TV in there if freezing temps were expected...
Had a co-worker travel to give a presentation over near Lake Ontario. At the hotel, he left his laptop in the car overnight, and the display cracked in the cold and was totally destroyed.

I've seen devices with solid-state circuits that don't work 'till they warm up to about 20°F/-5°C, but get the heater going and they crawl back to life.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote