Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2017, 05:41 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2006
Chassis: IC bus
Engine: VT365
Rated Cap: 35C24A
Emergency Air brake lever

I have a 2 year old on board that can reach (or slip on to) the air brake release knob. Can I use the emergency lever above the windshield as a kind of parking brake that would override the air brake controls that are within reach?

Tyania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 05:47 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
You can order an air brake lock from Iowa80. https://www.iowa80.com/pd/watchdawg-...e-knob/231862/
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 05:56 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Are you asking because you are concerned about brakes being released while parked? Or pulled while driving?

I suppose in theory you could add an air-relay between the tank and valve which opens when the ignition is on. That way the air cannot be supplied with the ignition off. I am not sure how "legal" or advisable this is.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 05:56 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

I think she's talking about child-proofing the brake button.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:11 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I can totally understand that!! I know a guy who was moving.. he rented a penske 26 foot truck.. it was a feightliner with air brakes (didnt know that was legal).. and his kid reached up and did just that pulled that pretty yellow knob while they were doing 60 on the highway.. and yeah it instantly locked the rear wheels!!
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:16 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Can you say "Windshield Taste Test"?
Old 09-21-2017, 09:36 PM   #7
Traveling

Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
.. and his kid reached up and did just that pulled that pretty yellow knob while they were doing 60 on the highway.. and yeah it instantly locked the rear wheels!!
-Christopher
andddddd.....? Flat spots only, I hope.

Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:42 PM   #8
Bus Geek

yeah no crash... a lot of smoke and screams... he (the dude not the kid) knew the sound and smacked the yellow handle back in.. being mechanical it released the brakes.. fortunately the rear end must not have gotten too far side ways since he didnt flip the truck after releasing the brakes...

why on earth in my navistar DEV bus did they put that handle right next to the headlight handle!! ive not yet pulled it but ive reached for it by accident when i went to flash the lights at a trucker to change lanes in front of me
-Christopher
Old 09-21-2017, 10:43 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
If you are parking for camping and worried about this, just drain down the air system as the brakes will not release with less than 60 psi in the system. When you are stopped and shut the engine off repeatedly stomp the brake pedal until the air system is empty at which time pushing the brake button will do nothing, it won't even stay in
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 07:16 AM   #10
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Engine: 8.3 Cummins, 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
yeah no crash... a lot of smoke and screams... he (the dude not the kid) knew the sound and smacked the yellow handle back in.. being mechanical it released the brakes.. fortunately the rear end must not have gotten too far side ways since he didnt flip the truck after releasing the brakes...

why on earth in my navistar DEV bus did they put that handle right next to the headlight handle!! ive not yet pulled it but ive reached for it by accident when i went to flash the lights at a trucker to change lanes in front of me
-Christopher
Sounds like another WTF were they thinking I would probably end up pulling on it eventually, in the rain, with heavy traffic. but I'm prone to forget almost everything
Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 07:19 AM   #11
Skoolie

Year: 2006
Chassis: IC bus
Engine: VT365
Rated Cap: 35C24A
Thanks everyone. Yes, toddler proofing the brake button. For when parked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
If you are parking for camping and worried about this, just drain down the air system as the brakes will not release with less than 60 psi in the system.
Will the lever I mentioned do just that...empty the air? In a quick and easy manner. It is a lever that you pull down... Says stop and reset on it. Anyone else have one? I have a newer bus 2006 so it may be a new thing?
Guess I could just try it and see.
Tyania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 12:18 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

I think that air-brake "lock" is probably the best idea for your needs. I checked it out and it appears to be exactly what you want, a way to keep the brakes from being released while parked (presumably advertised to prevent theft).

That lever you have, I an not sure what it is (my bus is an '01 and I do not think it has such a thing), a photo will help. There shouldn't be anything which will "dump the air" while you could be moving, it's sort of a safety thing.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:43 PM   #13
Almost There

Year: 1972
Engine: 366 BBC
I thought the Air brakes are spring loaded, so without air pressure they are locked? Right? My bus isn't moving right now, and it has 0 air pressure since it bleed out over a few days...
Old 09-22-2017, 08:57 PM   #14
Bus Geek

your rear brakes are spring-locked when there is no air pressure.. thats what one of the ideas was is to hop under the bus and drain the air tanks.. the kid could push on the yellow knob all he wants and it wont release the brakes..

however I would think parental-sense kicks in here and the kid ends up Heavily scolded for even placing a finger on that knob.. JUST so it isnt like the dude in the Moving van.. ever... its also a good idea to chock your wheels whenever parking on any ground where your bus might roll if the brakes are released.

-Christopher
Old 09-22-2017, 10:20 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanT720 View Post
I thought the Air brakes are spring loaded, so without air pressure they are locked? Right? My bus isn't moving right now, and it has 0 air pressure since it bleed out over a few days...
For the parking brakes, that's right. Parking brakes are not installed on the steering axle for what should be obvious reasons.

Christopher has the right idea, but with a toddler-age child, scolding only goes so far. I can envision it now ... boondocking somewhere remote and peaceful ... the parents cooking over the campfire, the child goes in for whatever reason ... that *BIG SHINY BRIGHT YELLOW KNOB* ... *SOOO* shiny ... *must push knob* ... kids that age are very curious, they have to touch and explore. Scolding and saying "No" has a tendency to only increase their curiosity. Explaining why they do not touch the knob will help satisfy their curiosity, but only to an extent. Let them push the knob, but only when an adult is at the wheel and is prepared for the brakes to release, and explain the reasons why. Satisfy their curiosity, in a safe and controlled manner. And yes, by all means, install that security knob. Better too safe, than sorry. Besides, it'll come in handy for anti-thefting the bus.