Old 11-10-2004, 07:31 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Emergency roadcare service

Anybody have a recommendation where to get roadcare service for a school bus conversion? Good experiences; bad experiences; anything else?

Thanks
skyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 10:21 PM   #2
Bus Nut

If you're a Good Sam member (and they will insure buses (not just motorhomes)) you could try their emergency service; at least, that's the one I'm going to sign up for this year. I have my insurance through Camping World and it turns out both they and Good Sam use GMAC as their insurance underwriter. When I joined Good Sam I thought I might see if I could save some money on my insurance; when I called them I found out I was already their customer!

I could have used the Good Sam service when I ran out of fuel on the way to Lake Shasta with the bus for vacation this year; turns out the fuel tank is smaller than what I was told and the fuel gauge is "right on"!

Skoolie.net Gallery
Illusion's SmugMug site
Les Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 09:43 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you Les. I'll probably use Good Sam but if anybody else has other options I'd like to know.
skyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 11:39 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhorse
Thank you Les. I'll probably use Good Sam but if anybody else has other options I'd like to know.
Me too!

Skoolie.net Gallery
Illusion's SmugMug site
Les Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 11:24 PM   #5
Bus Geek

i have good sam club. I wisely signed up for that before i took my 7 thousand mile treck from michigan to cali and back. It's about 100 bucks for a year, which is far cheaper than calling a wrecker just one time.

I did call good sam for a tow truck about 1 am in san fransico when the bus broke down. I was told there weren't any tow trucks available until after 8 am and i should call back then. I spent the next couple hours wrenching on teh bus till i got her going and didn't need the tow truck afterall.

This is my only expierence with them. Though I didn't get the result I wanted, I will renew my good sam club for next year. It's just too good of a deal to pass up. I've had two flat tires since i had my good sam, but i didn't call either time. Once i went to the tire place and had purchased a new-used tire. The second time i just changed the tire myself at home in the driveway.

They also will bring you some fuel if you run out, or give you a jump start if needed. (if you have a diesel, chances are you will need a jump start with the fuel they bring you!)