Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2007, 12:18 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
Engine fire at tailgate

This weekend I was driving by one of the lots in my bus an noticed that another bus had caught on fire. There were many police cars but no fire trucks at the time I saw it.

Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 06:42 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Re: Engine fire at tailgate

in his case it may not have made a difference, but is YOUR (ya, i'm speaking to YOU and me) fire extinguisher accessable and up to date ?
Old 09-11-2007, 07:00 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 diesel
Rated Cap: 14

Mines not up to date but it is right by the front door. I'm still trying to figure out where to put more in good locations. I also keep one in the back of the truck. And plenty of used ones in the garage and I even keep one in the bedroom. About the most I do is check the hoses to make sure they are clear.

As for the pressure check and recharge they do, it don't get done. I think they do that about every 5 years but I could be wrong. Every year they just check the hoses and retag them.
wmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:46 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

My tag may well be out of inspection, but my extinguisher is both accessible and well within spec pressure-wise.

It would appear that the fire on that rig was engine related. While some shoddy conversion work may have been the cause I would suspect something else. Engine fires are terribly difficult to effectively and safely put out. It's too bad CO2 extinguishers are so hard to find and spendy as this is what they are ideally suited to.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:14 PM   #5
Skoolie

That sucks. I would cry.
davido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 08:45 AM   #6
Bus Nut

the. old fords of that vintage had a history or fires with the gas engines"460's" . thats what drove the diesel van rage in the 80's. it was believed that the robber hose between the fuel line and fuel filter at the carb was the problem, but it turned out to be a combination of ford's thinwall casting technology used in the cylinderheads and an incombatable alloy used in the exhaust manifolds, the air cooled exhaust manifolds wouls get much hotter and expand more than the watercooled cylinderheads resulting in a cracked head and a glycol based coolant leak onto the 1500f exhaust manifold. the end result is fire since a 50/50 glycol mix will combust at about 1450f. ford changed the specs on the manifolds and heads to resolve the issue but the diesel rage was on by most of the commercial users that used that driveline package in use cycles that caused high operaing temperature cycles on a regular basis.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 10:19 AM   #7
Bus Geek

that gas 460 sure was a good motor, wasn't it? I had the port fuel injected version in a 1991 ford f250. I could pull hole shots that would rival many fancy sports cars as long as my limited slip diff could get traction.

immagine those poor ambulance personell who had to go from gas 460 motors in their ambulances capable of speeds in excess of 110 mph to having the non-turbo 6.9 liter internationals that could barely do 65 on a good day.