Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2006, 07:53 AM   #1
Bus Geek

the 6.5 is the motor that AM General puts in the Real hum-vees that the military uses. Have i heard talk of the new isuzu duramax getting put in the new hum-vee's?

We're talking real Hummers, Not the imitaion H2's.

Our fire department has 2 former military pickup trucks with this motor. Or they might be 6.2 liter GM's now that i think about it. Either way they are really the same engine from what i understand, found a quote from anotehr site that says "They are the same engine, the difference is .080" of bore" It doesn't seem to be a bad engine. They are a little shy on power, but get phenomonal fuel mileage. A friend of mine had one in an old surburban that got more than 20 mpg. They are not quiet, people will know that you have a diesel! but i don't think they are as noisy as the older 5.9 cummings motors. I think the 6.5 is a good pickup truck motor, i'm not so sure i'd be excited about having it in a skoolie however, but i'd love to have an older gm pickup with the 6.5 liter.

just my 2 cents

Old 08-13-2006, 07:33 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77
The 6.2/6.5 Detroit is one of the biggest turds GM has ever dumped on an unsuspecting public, exceeded only by the Olds diesels. The early ones are horribly, painfully underpowered dogs, barely able to keep up with traffic in an empty pickup. The later ones are hand grenades, with unending turbo, bottom end, head gasket, & computer problems. You're better off with a used unicycle with a flat tire.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 10:35 PM   #3
Bus Nut

I had a mitsubishi pickup with a 2.4. This engine was beat up bad by the prevous owner (fleet). It burned/leaked oil like a two stroke detroit but just kept going. By the time I sold the truck the engine even sounded like a diesel.

It had 152,000 miles on it and still ran pretty good. I wish now that I had kept the truck. It needed a lot of work but it was a fun truck to drive and it never left me stranded.
busone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 02:17 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
While my well beaten engine is still dead in the driveway, I have to throw it out there....a Toyota truck powered by a 22r or 22re is a great choice. It is a simple (derived from a forklift motor, actually) 2.4 liter SOHC motor. The most powerful normally aspirated version made something like 116 hp and 142 ft lbs IIRC. Anyway...enough of a plug for Toyota. I just like the motors which are usually backed by a stout drivetrain in trucks from the normal compact half ton to a 21 foot dualy motor home chassis.