Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-16-2018, 08:57 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 63
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP
Engine: Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Engineers! Angle Iron and All Thread sizes

So I working on a few different projects, but both require weight on some iron and all thread rod.

Looking for the best size to use for my applications. Don't want to go too thick as I will be drilling holes for my nuts and bolts!

1. Mounting underneath. Looking to use 2 angle iron bars under both a generator and ~45 gray water with 4 all threads (each) bolting them into the frame above. Angle iron and all thread size?

2. Roof deck - Planning to build a deck on top with square tube and deck wood. There will be 6 legs going from the platform to the roof. Planning to weld angle iron between the bus ribs in 6 spots for these anchor points. Angle iron and square tube size?


I appreciate all of the help!
dspizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:36 AM   #2
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 157
Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International FE
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84 passengers
I would overbuild items like this. I'd use 1/4" angle and at least 1/2" all thread. Maybe 5/8". I'd hate to try to save some weight and work only to watch your work not be able to hold up to the task at hand. What are you planning on putting on your roof deck? I would imagine 1/8" wall thickness square tube would be sufficient.
rensch26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:43 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 63
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP
Engine: Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by rensch26 View Post
I would overbuild items like this. I'd use 1/4" angle and at least 1/2" all thread. Maybe 5/8". I'd hate to try to save some weight and work only to watch your work not be able to hold up to the task at hand. What are you planning on putting on your roof deck? I would imagine 1/8" wall thickness square tube would be sufficient.
Roof wont have anything on it when moving. Will just be a hangout spot. Would assume no more than 6 could fit up that at any 1 time.

What size angle would you suggest for the anchor points? These will be welded on the inside of the roof dispersing the weight to 2 ribs instead of 1 at 6 different spot.
dspizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:47 AM   #4
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 157
Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International FE
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84 passengers
I'd use 1/4" for that as well. The flange length is up to you. Whatever makes the most sense. But 1/4" is probably the easiest angle iron to find so you should have plenty of options. You can probably get away with thinner walled square tubing for your deck but I'd make real sure the foundation they are mounted to is sturdy haha. 1/4" is probably overkill but it'd make me most comfortable.
rensch26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:28 AM   #5
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Tahoe
Posts: 513
Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000RE
Engine: T444E w/ MT643
Rated Cap: 84 pass, 40'
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspizzle View Post
So I working on a few different projects, but both require weight on some iron and all thread rod.

Looking for the best size to use for my applications. Don't want to go too thick as I will be drilling holes for my nuts and bolts!

1. Mounting underneath. Looking to use 2 angle iron bars under both a generator and ~45 gray water with 4 all threads (each) bolting them into the frame above. Angle iron and all thread size?

2. Roof deck - Planning to build a deck on top with square tube and deck wood. There will be 6 legs going from the platform to the roof. Planning to weld angle iron between the bus ribs in 6 spots for these anchor points. Angle iron and square tube size?


I appreciate all of the help!
Make sure that your insurance is ok with a roof deck. I have read that a roof deck is a disqualifier for several companies. Apparently some Yahoos put ridiculously heavy stuff up there and make the bus top heavy and dangerous. Good luck!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
__________________
middle aged mom on a learning adventure
2martins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:47 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 63
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP
Engine: Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2martins View Post
Make sure that your insurance is ok with a roof deck. I have read that a roof deck is a disqualifier for several companies. Apparently some Yahoos put ridiculously heavy stuff up there and make the bus top heavy and dangerous. Good luck!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Good advice. I haven't gotten to the RV insurance stage yet. Roof deck will probably be the last step. I just want to have the anchor points there before insulating and putting the ceiling on. Will also be doing similar setup for solar, just doesn't have to be as strong.
dspizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 12:24 PM   #7
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Colorado
Posts: 162
Year: 1995
Coachwork: Amtrans
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 20 (9 window handicap)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspizzle View Post
So I working on a few different projects, but both require weight on some iron and all thread rod.

2. Roof deck - Planning to build a deck on top with square tube and deck wood. There will be 6 legs going from the platform to the roof. Planning to weld angle iron between the bus ribs in 6 spots for these anchor points. Angle iron and square tube size?


I appreciate all of the help!
When you say deck wood, you may want to qualify that. The last deck I built was some off brand trex, which if fabulous, but the how many inches between support requirements was more than standard decking because it is so thin. If you are planing on doing essentially an 8 foot span from one side to the other, then I would assume you need some beefy decking material, since I think even conventional decking has supports either every 16 or 24 inches and 5/4 decking won't cut it for that. Or are you going to have the boards run parallel to the bus and have a steel cross member at every roof bow? That would work out to alot of steel and wood.

I have been dreaming of a roof deck as well. Because of the insurance issues and how much i think its going to cost to build it as beefy as my paranoid mind thinks it needs to be, I was thinking maybe just a multiuse platform off the back bumper where you could either carry stuff you don't want inside while moving or maybe a place to put 2 deck chairs when parked.
Tigerman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.