Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2016, 08:25 PM   #1

Extreme Figure 8 Bus Derby Vidoes

I wanted to share some videos with my School Bus Skoolie Friends from around the world. I thought you would enjoy seeing them. Enjoy!

Midwest Transit Extreme Figure 8 Bus Derbys Kankakee, Illinois

John M. Keigher

busman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:57 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

As awesome as that is....I feel like a starvimg 3rd worlder watching a 16th century kings court feast as the waste falls to the floor unnoticed....I would and could have lived in any one of those! Lol, sure it went to some form of good cause though!
Hemp Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:24 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemp Bus View Post
As awesome as that is....I feel like a starvimg 3rd worlder watching a 16th century kings court feast as the waste falls to the floor unnoticed....I would and could have lived in any one of those! Lol, sure it went to some form of good cause though!

ive attended these before... they are a blast.. it makes the kids smile... and honestly they arent smashing very many good busses.. occasionally you'll see a bus in one of these that you think "well dang thats a nice bus".. but most all of them are pretty trashed mechanically and patched together just to make the race.. these are the $900 busses from the auctions .. alot of these are busses that have already been church busses and were dumped by them.. (churhes have donated their old busses for the purpose).. some were recently school busses (as you can see they still had school lights)..

normally the money raised is given to a children's related charity.. since it is so well attended it brings in quite a bit of money...

while I love old busses (I own one).. school busses arent going anywhere anytime soon... they keep making them by the 1000s so there will be plenty to be turned into art studios, homes, cruisers, campers, party busses, and mobile Dev Labs... for a Long time to come..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:24 AM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 97
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: BadMuthaFuka
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: All of us
AWESOME!!!
so whens the factory made RV derby? imagine the pile of fiberglass all over!
what stands out most to me is how strong our buses really are. wish insurance companies could see this!
Old 06-07-2016, 07:50 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester View Post
AWESOME!!!
so whens the factory made RV derby? imagine the pile of fiberglass all over!
what stands out most to me is how strong our buses really are. wish insurance companies could see this!

actually just wait a few years in these videos when they are figure 8 racing the current flimsy IC's.. it will look like a commercially made RV wreck-em up..

-Christopher
Old 06-07-2016, 08:56 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
actually just wait a few years in these videos when they are figure 8 racing the current flimsy IC's.. it will look like a commercially made RV wreck-em up..

-Christopher
I really don't think that IC's are "flimsy". Seems like this is how net rumors are born. Not trying to start a fight or anything, Chris.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:04 AM   #7
Bus Geek

well... their GVWR's are typically much less than other or older busses... they definitely rust out much quicker than some of the other brands...

are they safe busses? of course they are decently safe because of new technology... just like modern cars that have much lighter weights and thinner metals but still score better in safety ratings because of electronics, stronger, lighter FRAMES... but to me the sheet metal used on them for the sides, floors, roofs is not nearly as strong as older or other busses..

I mention this because for someone building a home or a camper, rusting out quicker spells big issues... many of the busses here will never benefit from any safety improvements as the owner isnt building something to be travelled 10,000 miles a year.. (some are)..

a well cared for IC is quiet, comfortable, smooth, and drives beautifully on the highway.. but from what I see in the rust belt of the midwest.. are IC's rusting quicker than birds and thomas;s of the same age... and by rusting I dont mean a little surface around some rivets...

-Christopher
Old 06-07-2016, 09:23 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
well... their GVWR's are typically much less than other or older busses... they definitely rust out much quicker than some of the other brands...

are they safe busses? of course they are decently safe because of new technology... just like modern cars that have much lighter weights and thinner metals but still score better in safety ratings because of electronics, stronger, lighter FRAMES... but to me the sheet metal used on them for the sides, floors, roofs is not nearly as strong as older or other busses..

I mention this because for someone building a home or a camper, rusting out quicker spells big issues... many of the busses here will never benefit from any safety improvements as the owner isnt building something to be travelled 10,000 miles a year.. (some are)..

a well cared for IC is quiet, comfortable, smooth, and drives beautifully on the highway.. but from what I see in the rust belt of the midwest.. are IC's rusting quicker than birds and thomas;s of the same age... and by rusting I dont mean a little surface around some rivets...

-Christopher
Right on, well definitely show us some of what you're talking about when/if you can.

Apparently people die a LOT in these races. Our sheriff died in one some years back. On his birthday. I've mentioned it every time this comes up, so sorry if I'm a broken record here.

Driver in school bus race killed; a driver was killed when his school bus overturned at Citrus County Speedway - tribunedigital-orlandosentinel

https://www.policeone.com/chiefs-she...47th-birthday/

Such a waste, if you ask me-
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bus crashes, bus derby, figure 8, midwest transit