Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-06-2016, 09:25 PM   #1
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Kankakee, IL
Posts: 3
Extreme Figure 8 Bus Derby Vidoes

I wanted to share some videos with my School Bus Skoolie Friends from around the world. I thought you would enjoy seeing them. Enjoy!

Midwest Transit Extreme Figure 8 Bus Derbys Kankakee, Illinois

John M. Keigher
busman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:57 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Chico, CA
Posts: 26
As awesome as that is....I feel like a starvimg 3rd worlder watching a 16th century kings court feast as the waste falls to the floor unnoticed....I would and could have lived in any one of those! Lol, sure it went to some form of good cause though!
Hemp Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:24 AM   #3
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 7,939
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemp Bus View Post
As awesome as that is....I feel like a starvimg 3rd worlder watching a 16th century kings court feast as the waste falls to the floor unnoticed....I would and could have lived in any one of those! Lol, sure it went to some form of good cause though!

ive attended these before... they are a blast.. it makes the kids smile... and honestly they arent smashing very many good busses.. occasionally you'll see a bus in one of these that you think "well dang thats a nice bus".. but most all of them are pretty trashed mechanically and patched together just to make the race.. these are the $900 busses from the auctions .. alot of these are busses that have already been church busses and were dumped by them.. (churhes have donated their old busses for the purpose).. some were recently school busses (as you can see they still had school lights)..

normally the money raised is given to a children's related charity.. since it is so well attended it brings in quite a bit of money...

while I love old busses (I own one).. school busses arent going anywhere anytime soon... they keep making them by the 1000s so there will be plenty to be turned into art studios, homes, cruisers, campers, party busses, and mobile Dev Labs... for a Long time to come..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:24 AM   #4
Skoolie
 
jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: onboard the R1!
Posts: 206
Year: 2004
Coachwork: International
Chassis: RE200
Engine: 7.3L Navistar T444E
Rated Cap: 72
AWESOME!!!
so whens the factory made RV derby? imagine the pile of fiberglass all over!
what stands out most to me is how strong our buses really are. wish insurance companies could see this!
__________________
check out my build pics
http://www.skoolie.net/forums/member...albums833.html
or my random writings... at
www.roadrunnerlogik.blogspot.com
jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:50 AM   #5
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 7,939
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by jester View Post
AWESOME!!!
so whens the factory made RV derby? imagine the pile of fiberglass all over!
what stands out most to me is how strong our buses really are. wish insurance companies could see this!

actually just wait a few years in these videos when they are figure 8 racing the current flimsy IC's.. it will look like a commercially made RV wreck-em up..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:56 AM   #6
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 12,136
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
actually just wait a few years in these videos when they are figure 8 racing the current flimsy IC's.. it will look like a commercially made RV wreck-em up..

-Christopher
I really don't think that IC's are "flimsy". Seems like this is how net rumors are born. Not trying to start a fight or anything, Chris.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:04 AM   #7
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 7,939
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
well... their GVWR's are typically much less than other or older busses... they definitely rust out much quicker than some of the other brands...

are they safe busses? of course they are decently safe because of new technology... just like modern cars that have much lighter weights and thinner metals but still score better in safety ratings because of electronics, stronger, lighter FRAMES... but to me the sheet metal used on them for the sides, floors, roofs is not nearly as strong as older or other busses..

I mention this because for someone building a home or a camper, rusting out quicker spells big issues... many of the busses here will never benefit from any safety improvements as the owner isnt building something to be travelled 10,000 miles a year.. (some are)..

a well cared for IC is quiet, comfortable, smooth, and drives beautifully on the highway.. but from what I see in the rust belt of the midwest.. are IC's rusting quicker than birds and thomas;s of the same age... and by rusting I dont mean a little surface around some rivets...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:23 AM   #8
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 12,136
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
well... their GVWR's are typically much less than other or older busses... they definitely rust out much quicker than some of the other brands...

are they safe busses? of course they are decently safe because of new technology... just like modern cars that have much lighter weights and thinner metals but still score better in safety ratings because of electronics, stronger, lighter FRAMES... but to me the sheet metal used on them for the sides, floors, roofs is not nearly as strong as older or other busses..

I mention this because for someone building a home or a camper, rusting out quicker spells big issues... many of the busses here will never benefit from any safety improvements as the owner isnt building something to be travelled 10,000 miles a year.. (some are)..

a well cared for IC is quiet, comfortable, smooth, and drives beautifully on the highway.. but from what I see in the rust belt of the midwest.. are IC's rusting quicker than birds and thomas;s of the same age... and by rusting I dont mean a little surface around some rivets...

-Christopher
Right on, well definitely show us some of what you're talking about when/if you can.


Apparently people die a LOT in these races. Our sheriff died in one some years back. On his birthday. I've mentioned it every time this comes up, so sorry if I'm a broken record here.

Driver in school bus race killed; a driver was killed when his school bus overturned at Citrus County Speedway - tribunedigital-orlandosentinel

https://www.policeone.com/chiefs-she...47th-birthday/

Such a waste, if you ask me-
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bus crashes, bus derby, figure 8, midwest transit

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.