Old 05-14-2013, 06:10 PM   #11
Bus Nut
Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66
Re: Favorite Movies

At the risk of some members questioning my manhood...

Letters to Juliet (2010) Amanda Seyfried
An American girl (Seyfried) on vacation in Italy finds an unanswered "letter to Juliet" -- one of thousands of missives left at the fictional lover's Verona courtyard, which are typically answered by a the "secretaries of Juliet" -- and she goes on a quest to find the lovers referenced in the letter.
It only scored an average of 6.5 out of 10 points among those writing reviews on, but my gf and I found it a delight.

The Mirror Has Two Faces (1997) Barbra Streisand, Jeff Bridges
Rose (Streisand) and Gregory (Bridges), both Columbia University professors meet when Rose's sister answers Gregory's "personals" ad. Several times burned, the handsome-but-boring Gregory believes that sex has ruined his life, and has deliberately set out to find and marry a woman with absolutely no sex appeal. Greg thinks he's found what he's looking for in Rose, a plain, plump English Lit professor who can't compete with her gorgeous mother and sister. More out of mutual admiration and respect than love, Greg and Rose marry. Greg assumes that Rose understands that he is not interested in a sexual relationship. He's mistaken, and their marriage is nearly destroyed when Rose tries to consummate their relationship. While Gregory is out of the country on a lecture tour, Rose diets and exercises to transform herself into a sexy siren in a last-ditch attempt to save her marriage.
Comment: same as Juliet above.

And for the opposite side of my personality:
The Terminator movies (especially T2: Judgment Day). Lazy me figures these are well-known enough to need no introduction.

Demolition Man (1993) Sylvester Stallone, Wesley Snipes
Frozen in 1996, Phoenix (Snipes), a convicted killer is "thawed" out for parole well into the 21st century. Revived into a crime free society, Phoenix resumes his murderous rampage, and no one can stop him. Spartan (Stallone), the cop who captured Phoenix in 1996 has also been cryogenically frozen, this time for a crime he didn't commit. In desperation they turn to Spartan to help recapture Phoenix.
These violent movies have some great bits of dry humor sprinkled through them. I got a kick out of Demolition Man's satire of corporate America gobbling up other companies like a Wall Street Pac Man: all restaurants are Taco Bells, regardless of cuisine. DM is also a great movie for Oldsmobile fans. A cool red 1970 4-4-2 coupe is this movie's counterpart to the General Lee, minus the moonshine. Oh yes, I also like the 2005 Dukes of Hazzard of the best things to come out of 2005. My gf likes these too except for Hazzard.
"Any action for which there is no logical explanation will be deemed 'company policy' - or 'city ordinance.' "
Skunky Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:30 PM   #12
Bus Crazy
Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

I really enjoyed Groundhog Day, and have seen it at least twice - I would see it again. I remember really liking Escape to Witch Mountain as well when it first came out in the 70's. Waterworld is another cool movie for sure. How about that scene where Costner pees into this contraption that filters the pee and when it comes out the other side he drinks it again. Oh no he DIDN'T!

Some of my favorites are:

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon:
Two warriors in pursuit of a stolen sword and a notorious fugitive are led to an impetuous, physically-skilled, teenage nobleman's daughter, who is at a crossroads in her life.
Director: Ang Lee
Stars: Yun-Fat Chow, Michelle Yeoh, Ziyi Zhang
[I just love the vibe of this movie]

The Princess Bride:
A classic fairy tale, with swordplay, giants, an evil prince, a beautiful princess, and yes, some kissing (as read by a kindly grandfather).
Director: Rob Reiner
Stars: Cary Elwes, Mandy Patinkin, Chris Sarandon
[What can I say, this is a cult classic!]

Lord of the Rings Movies: No description needed, I think.
[Just pure awesomeness]

A man, suffering from short-term memory loss, uses notes and tattoos to hunt for the man he thinks killed his wife.
Director: Christopher Nolan
Stars: Guy Pearce, Carrie-Anne Moss, Joe Pantoliano | See full cast and crew
[This one is such a mind-bender. The plot plays out in reverse order, and it's really challenging to follow. I had to watch it twice just to understand it, but once I did, it was fascinating].

Pride and Prejudice:
Sparks fly when spirited Elizabeth Bennet meets single, rich, and proud Mr. Darcy. But Mr. Darcy reluctantly finds himself falling in love with a woman beneath his class. Can each overcome their own pride and prejudice?
Director: Joe Wright
Writers:Jane Austen (novel), Deborah Moggach (screenplay)
Stars: Keira Knightley, Donald Sutherland, Brenda Blethyn
[This one took a while to grow on me. I have started to appreciate these Jane Austen adaptations, if for no other reason than to just revel in the quirkiness of the social morays of the time and place represented].

I'm sure there are many more, but I'll leave at that for the time being.
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:48 AM   #13
Bus Crazy
Year: 1973
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel
Rated Cap: 72

A fun movie with Christina Applegate is called Just Visiting. It also stars Jean Reno

The backstory takes place in 12th century England, where Lord Thibault is about to marry Princess Rosalind, the daughter of the reigning King. At the wedding banquet, an enemy gives Thibault a potion which makes him hallucinate, and under its influence, he kills his own bride (rather than her father, as in the French version) believing she is a ferocious monster. While under sentence of death, he asks a wizard to give him a drug that will send him back to the moment before he killed Princess Rosalind. The incompetent wizard botches the spell, and instead, Thibault and his servant are sent into the 21st century.
They end up in a museum in Chicago where they are arrested by the police. They are rescued by Julia Malféte (Christina Applegate), a museum employee who closely resembles Princess Rosalind. She thinks that Thibault is her relative who drowned while yachting a couple of years ago. Thibault soon finds out that Julia is descended from his family and realizes he must return to the 12th century to correct the past. Julia introduces them to the modern American style of life where norms from medieval times no longer apply. Before the return to his time, Thibault decides to protect Julia from her money-hungry fiance Hunter (Matt Ross). Meanwhile, his servant Andre falls for a pretty gardener, Angelique (Tara Reid) who presents him with the world of equal rights for all people.
The wizard realizes his mistake and decides to time travel into the future to help Thibault. After he finds him, he successfully prepares a potion for returning to the past. Hunter decides to prevent Thibault by interfering with his plans but Julia finds out his real intentions and breaks up with him. Before he leaves, Thibault tells Julia that she will meet a new and better boyfriend. Then he and the wizard drink the potion and return to the past just before the killing of Princess Rosalind. Hunter finds the remainder of the potion which sends him to the 12th century where he is captured.
Best Home Yet - Strong Command Center --- viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10764
Accordion is offline   Reply With Quote